Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 87 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they already file a claim? Or did you just talk to them about what happened? If it's not already in motion, you don't have to follow through just because you told them what happened...
It wasn't hard to reregister, I had to go to the chp office ;) and have them confirm the vin on a couple spots on the truck, and them go to a official brake and light check location, I think it's called, where they check a few things, then on to DMV.
The second time I totaled it, I did not go through insurance, I just paid out of pocket.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It might be different in CO and CA, but when I totaled a ranger- I had the title. So the dude came out and looked at it and said he would either write me a check for $3200 and come get the truck and title, or write me a check for $3000 and I could keep the truck. I only paid $250 for the truck, so I took the $3000 option and drove it for a couple years. Since I had the title (not the bank) they never took it or salvaged the title or anything. I didn't even change the plates. They kept insuring it too. It was a sweet deal. I know it is different if you owe money and a bank has the title though.

The adjuster was out today taking pictures. If I don't like what they are offering, I can cancel the deal since its my vehicle. He said all I need is a brake and light inspection to reregister it with a salvage title. It only effects the value on resale, which isn't much anyway, and I have no plans to sell. I have had the title to the Explorer for about 20 years.

Insurance contacted me with a offer, much more than I expected. I think I got to the adjuster by talking about the 20+ years of memories attached. There is only $223.46 difference between me or them keeping the vehicle. There offer is about three times what I saw on line for the most outrageously expensive donor vehicle. I love AAA insurance.

Now, I just need to find a donor; there are two in LA area that have been listed for awhile (one has a blown head gasket, other won't pass smog) that are cheap. If I can get ahold of the owners, rent a trailer, and head up there next week, I should be coming back with a soon to be sacrificed Explorer.

I still haven't located a donor to my liking. Might have to get a black one I keep seeing up in LA area. I am tearing into the Explorer today. It looks like some of the factory wiring is where it started, then it melted the casing for the secondary battery main wire, which grounded and..... Most of the wires down there are for the transmission and transfer case, which I no longer have. I took a few pictures:
Where it started;
IMG_20170908_121452185_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170908_121300874_HDR.jpg

It energized the park brake cable, which went into the dash and caused the majority of the damage;
Also fried the transmission shift cable. You can see the ends of the cable where it melted after burning through the plastic covering.
IMG_20170908_121318452.jpg

IMG_20170908_121327171_HDR.jpg

Dash damage;
IMG_20170908_121116102_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170908_121123087.jpg

IMG_20170908_121130944.jpg

I still don't get how it energized the park brake cable; Its on the other side of the frame and the secondary battery has a in-line mega fuse that didn't blow. But, it melted the ground wire to that battery. The primary battery is still showing 12.6 volts, fully charged. Secondary battery is on the charger now, because it was showing 11.9 volts.

Yuck, I can smell it from here ;) So glad it wasn't catastrophic.

Its fairly catastrophic...
Tore the dash out today. I thought I was missing a bolt but it turns out the dash was just melted to the wiring, and the whole mess was melted to the aluminum steering column mount. Everywhere I dug into, I found more melted wiring. Needs a replacement steering column, as well.

Dash out;
IMG_20170908_153523137.jpg

No more wires or whatever else used to be under there;
IMG_20170908_162339036.jpg

Mess of melted junk. You can see in the pile the melted park brake lever;
IMG_20170908_162424031_HDR.jpg

Found melted wiring going to the center console along the melted shift cable;
IMG_20170908_141143630.jpg

I think this is going to take months of slow, painstaking work. The main harness plug through the firewall looks okay on the engine side. Its a little black around the edges, but all the wiring appears intact. That should help as I need to worry about the wires from the firewall, in. Another upside, is it appears the fire was contained to the driver side of the dash, so all of the heating ducting is intact.

IMG_20170908_150454397_HDR.jpg

I'm with Mark right now. He has a parts truck here in AZ '94 with 4 wheel abs 2wd. I know you are looking locally, but just passing on the info.

That dash was the only thing not modified. Does Mark's parts truck have a tan interior and good wiring harness?

He said it has a good wiring harness, gauges etc. I don't recall if he mentioned the interior color. He used the truck for it's TTB arms.

@Maniak

yuck.. Glad you were able to keep it. If you get a complete 1st gen donor, I'd be interested in the driver side doors if you wanted to part with them. Hopefully make a little more money back.

I am having a hard time getting people who list their 93-94 Explorers for sale locally to respond to information requests. I requested several times for one about 85 miles from here to send me pictures of the interior he says is "well cared for".

That stinks man, I hope the rebuild goes smooth. Will any year 91 to 94 work. My friends near Bako have two explorers for sale for about $300.00. P.m. me and I can give you their info.

Need a 93-94. Otherwise, wiring harness might not be a direct connect. PCM is also different between 93 and 94, but I am hoping its still good because it had no power to it when the FD put the fire out with lots and lots of water.

Josh, the second one is the one who isn't really excited about selling. I have contacted him multiple times because. I figured I could sell the wheels and get half my money back. Or, put them on the horse trailer...:D

Need a 93-94. Otherwise, wiring harness might not be a direct connect. PCM is also different between 93 and 94, but I am hoping its still good because it had no power to it when the FD put the fire out with lots and lots of water.

Josh, the second one is the one who isn't really excited about selling. I have contacted him multiple times because. I figured I could sell the wheels and get half my money back. Or, put them on the horse trailer...:D

That gets really annoying when people don't respond after they posted the damn thing. and those wheels would look great on your explorer lol

Brian,
Sorry about the late reply (Work has been interesting for the last few weeks)... The Explorer at the neighbors is 2wd, 2 door with gray dash. He was home today and I asked him about it and he said if I needed anything, just grab it... So, the Dash/wiring etc would be free. Interior wiring hasn't been molested.. I think the wires to the MAF have been cut but I didn't look hard at the wiring under the hood.

~Mark

I found one today. Green 94 XLT, 105,000 miles, like new cloth seats and completely unmolested dash/wiring/interior panels. Body is rusted, its from Ohio (rockers, body mounts, leaf springs, the usual rust belt issues). Doors, glass, fenders and hood are in great shape. Transfer case works, transmission shifts very smooth and engine runs terrific. I got it up to 85 right before my freeway exit just because I haven't driven a stock Explorer in many, many years. Has a leaking valve cover and oil pan, as far as I could tell. ABS light is on, and left turn signal dash light is out. Rotten tires but made it to its next to final resting place. Has new brakes, heavy duty shocks and radius arm bushings. Even has a complete owner's manual. Talked owner down from $900 to $500. He was given the car from his grandfather to get him to San Diego. Its been parked for 2 years but started right up. After I looked under the dash, I knew I had to get it; pristine.
Only picture I took today (notice the factory stereo and unbroken center console arm rest).
20170913_161204.jpg

I think I will be keeping the rear seat, but recovering my 7-way adjustable front seats so these might be up for grabs.

Josh already has dibs on the driver side doors (driver window is skipping a little). I plan on keeping the hood, fenders, rear hatch and side glass, most of the interior panels, all outer and interior lights, etc..

Back