Sync 2 w/ MFT - iOS11 iPhone Compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 2 w/ MFT - iOS11 iPhone Compatibility

ihcc104

Reaction score
City, State
Moodus, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I recently bought a 2014 Explorer XLT. This is my 3rd Explorer, my last being a 2002 XLT, so this was a big upgrade. I got the car a month ago, and the other night I upgraded my iPhone to iOS11 and some of my BT compatibility functions have been lost. It no longer displays Artist/Song info (says unavailable) and I can no longer control my media with my steering wheel or with my dash, (seek/skip ect.). Has anyone else had this issue yet. I usually wait before upgrading phone, but it did it by itself the other night. I realize a system built by Microsoft using an Apple product wouldnt be the most seamless, but I hope this isnt the end of compatibility for my car and phone

I have unpaired my phone and car, and also did a master reboot just to be sure it wasn't the BT pairing itself

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe similar instances have been discussed in existing threads but I haven't had any luck finding them yet.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome, I looked for a while but didn't see anything, this iOS update is fairly new so I didn't think I'd have to look too far back

Thanks for the welcome, I looked for a while but didn't see anything, this iOS update is fairly new so I didn't think I'd have to look too far back
I don't have a Smartphone at all so I'm not able to offer much help. I know that there seems to be some kind of issue every time an upgrade is done to a phone. It also affects those with Sync 3. I'm sure some members will be able to offer you assistance/guidance with your problem. Good luck.

Peter

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I recently bought a 2014 Explorer XLT. This is my 3rd Explorer, my last being a 2002 XLT, so this was a big upgrade. I got the car a month ago, and the other night I upgraded my iPhone to iOS11 and some of my BT compatibility functions have been lost. It no longer displays Artist/Song info (says unavailable) and I can no longer control my media with my steering wheel or with my dash, (seek/skip ect.). Has anyone else had this issue yet. I usually wait before upgrading phone, but it did it by itself the other night. I realize a system built by Microsoft using an Apple product wouldnt be the most seamless, but I hope this isnt the end of compatibility for my car and phone

I have unpaired my phone and car, and also did a master reboot just to be sure it wasn't the BT pairing itself

I have MFT SYNC 2 with version 3.8 running and the iOS11 did not effect BT compatibility. So the first question I would ask is what version of MFT SYNC 2 do you have installed? There a version 3.10, but after reading about the differences of it from 3.8 I chose not to install it. 3.9 does not exist, they skipped it.

It almost sounds like something else, perhaps the APIM started malfunctioning coincidentally at about the same time you upgraded your iPhone.

Which streaming service are you using? Im still on 10.3.3 and Apple Music works fine. I had problems with Spotify which is why I dropped that service and went to AM.

Im curious as the new 11.1 update is out today, so try and tell us a bit more. 11.0 was a garbage release, but 11.1 looks promising and id like to ensure it works going forward.

Well I use Pandora, I pay for the Pandora One, because I listen to it at work and on the drive to and from.

11.0 was terrible! 11.0.3 was a little better but still no luck with my BT capabilities. 11.1 came out today and everything seems to be back up and running with the BT and my car.

I am not sure what version of MFT I am running, when I bought the car I updated it, that was back in March. Has there been an update since?

Well I use Pandora, I pay for the Pandora One, because I listen to it at work and on the drive to and from.

11.0 was terrible! 11.0.3 was a little better but still no luck with my BT capabilities. 11.1 came out today and everything seems to be back up and running with the BT and my car.

I am not sure what version of MFT I am running, when I bought the car I updated it, that was back in March. Has there been an update since?

That's good to know, I'll likely update then.

I'm at 3.8, no update per syncmyride

Syncmyride says I am running v3.6 and that that is the most up to date version.... how do y'all get 3.8 and 4.0??

I upgraded to iOS 11.1 today on an iPhone 6 and Pandora and Apple music work like they should, artist and music names with steering wheel controls. YouTube Music works with steering wheel controls, but no artist or music names.

iOS 11.0 was somewhat of a disaster, had I've known it's effect on the iPhone 6 I never would have upgraded iOS. I think Apple should explain in more detail what will occur on each iOS update for each iPhone version. More specifically they should say that a particular iOS update will shorten battery life, not allow custom ring tones, potentially cause font problems, etc. It's almost as if this update encourages an owner to upgrade their iPhone to the 8 or X.

Syncmyride says I am running v3.6 and that that is the most up to date version.... how do y'all get 3.8 and 4.0??

Try this hyperlink: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

You should be able to get 3.8 and if you do a search you'll find a link for 3.10, there is no 4.0. 3.10 was only done at dealerships until someone a posted a linked in this forum so that others could download and install it without going to the dealership. If 3.8 works well, no need to install 3.10 IMO.

I upgraded to iOS 11.1 today on an iPhone 6 and Pandora and Apple music work like they should, artist and music names with steering wheel controls. YouTube Music works with steering wheel controls, but no artist or music names.

iOS 11.0 was somewhat of a disaster, had I've known it's effect on the iPhone 6 I never would have upgraded iOS. I think Apple should explain in more detail what will occur on each iOS update for each iPhone version. More specifically they should say that a particular iOS update will shorten battery life, not allow custom ring tones, potentially cause font problems, etc. It's almost as if this update encourages an owner to upgrade their iPhone to the 8 or X.

I agree... they do push you to upgrade to a new phone. If they don't want to fully explain the update then the least they could do is allow you to roll back the change and go back to the previous iOS. My battery life is half of what it was with 10.3.5. I wish they would update it so that the Artist/Song show up on the little HUD screen in the instrument cluster instead of "Bluetooth Audio Connected". It surprises me that no one has hacked/cracked the system yet, I mean it is a Microsoft product after-all.

Try this hyperlink: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

You should be able to get 3.8 and if you do a search you'll find a link for 3.10, there is no 4.0. 3.10 was only done at dealerships until someone a posted a linked in this forum so that others could download and install it without going to the dealership. If 3.8 works well, no need to install 3.10 IMO.

It looks like 3.8 is only done at dealerships now, it looks like it was pulled off the Ford site a year ago. Do the dealers charge for doing the updates?

Im almost positive the dealer charges for the update, at least here in NYC.

The Syncmyride site is useless. I don't believe it is even updated any longer since the info on it has not been accurate for over a year. The official MFT release version is 3.8. There is a V3.10 but officially it is a dealer install only although there are links to it and 3.8 on this Forum. The dealer will charge you to update unless you are having an issue with your current version. If you update with 3.10 you are doing so at your own risk because it has not been released officially for all users. If it causes an issue with the system the dealer may not offer any assistance.

Peter

Back