Best Battery | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Battery

I just run the Value Starts from Walmart that you give $50 for, I've had mine since June of 2016 and it's cranking a 5.0 Ex no problem, even in colder weather.

*Edit* Also have one on a old uHaul truck we have with a 6.8 V10 in it, it cranks after sitting weeks at the same time without an issue, been in there since the engine went in this past spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think Walmart's regular EverStart is all that great...but, don't confuse it with their EverStart Maxx; which is the one that I've read has good reviews. And, as I've said, has performed well on my cars over the years.

Well, back to topic...

Ran two Diehard Gold in my Paseo. No problems. Currently has a green top Interstate. Since my car does not get driven regularly, the battery has been dead or close about three times. Jumped and driven with no problems. Now, I stick a Battery Tender Plus on it to charge and maintain it if I don't plan to drive it soon. I'll add that after I started using the Battery Tender Plus, it seems to hold a charge a lot longer than before I started using it.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...1&ie=UTF8&qid=1512862515&sr=8-1&keywords=plus

My Explorer since I have had it had a Motorcraft battery. I think it lasted well beyond warranty. It got replaced by a Diehard Gold. It is getting up there in age, pry at the end of warranty if not past it. Kinda struggled last year during winter, but it was when it was way below freezing. Started though.

^ Some opinions of Optima have changed since that 2006-07 poll. Search, this is one of MANY different battery threads.

Optima batteries junk now?
Good Eye, We need another Poll then.
Put it up Man I'll vote, Looks like a few others will to....

I'm going with the MAX Start 850CCA plus 36/100 month sounds good. Not too steep of a price like some of the Optima's but not too cheap of a CCA to last one or two seasons either.

bxt65850-fro.jpg

I keep looking at those at O'Reilly Auto too.

I don't know if my local Ford dealer even carries the 850CCA Motorcraft battery...

I put a walmart maxx 65n in mine. Best value at a little under $100 unless you figure you're going to roll the vehicle so an AGM has a clear benefit.

I do not recommend Motorcraft batteries. I have seen a few only 3-4 years old leaking acid around the posts. I just had to replace a terminal and battery on a 2013 f150 w/65k because of this issue. Funny thing is it still would fire right up without issue.

The Diehard platinum is a rebadged Odyssey. The gold series might be too but I'm not sure. Either way, those batteries are very good.

The Diehard Advanced (AGM) Gold's are rebadged Deka Intimidators. Sears stopped selling the Diehard Platinum/Odyssey because they had side-post issues and were getting too many returns/warranties as per the manager at my local Sears Auto. If you bring in a Platinum for warranty they will give you a Gold AGM as a replacement. I bought my AGM Gold on sale for $160.

The top post Odyssey's are still one of the best for sure along with Northstar and XS. Optima used to be a 6-8 year battery (like the ones mentioned) but now I feel are not any better than a 3-5year AGM like the Gold. You can either pay $160-240 for a a battery you can get 5+ years out of or $260-300 for one that you may get 8+ years. Unless you really need the power the "higher tier" batteries provide, I think you get what you pay for either way when it comes to the AGMs. Six of one or half dozen of the other. In my opinion anyway.

::edited::

Motorcraft 850CCA from a distributor. You can usually get much better prices. You can find them on the Ford website. They sell to shops and even the dealers.

I have a AutoZone duralast agm in my ranger and its been good at 2 years old and I actually got it from the junkyard 2nd hand for $35.

I run the advance auto agms in my f250 (2 group 65s). I had a draw from my livewire tuner and ended up running them dead after not driving the truck for 2 months. Their 3 year warranty was easy to get me 2 new ones at no cost. I think they would of charged back up but it was easier to swap new batteries in then jump start a dead cold diesel.

Autozone and advance use pretty much the same batteries through each series.

I keep looking at those at O'Reilly Auto too.

I've read that O'Reilly's batteries are re-badged Dekas, or at least their AGM ones are. Haven't looked into it too much though.

I've only used the Walmart Everstart Maxx because they last long and the warranty is great. My battery died a week short of three years and changed it for free. I live in vegas where these batteries take a beating with extreme heat and then pretty cold winters.

Who's going to be the first to try a lithium car battery, for $1000+, that weighs maybe 15 pounds?

Who's going to be the first to try a lithium car battery, for $1000+, that weighs maybe 15 pounds?

1 lithium battery - 1 year warranty - years of service ??? - $1000

4 agm batteries - 16 years of combined warranty - proven 5-8 years of service life each - $1000

Lithiums are more suited for racing where weight is a factor and money isn't or off grind power banks where they can be kept in a controlled environment and there inherent properties are more useful.

I really wouldn't trust a light weight lithium battery to get me through one Michigan winter. 4F for the low tomorrow night, not including windchill and it's not warming up any time soon. You also can't charge a lithium below freezing. If my new agm dies (which it's not) I can jump it or go right down the road and get it warrantied for free and be up and running without it ruining my day. Depending on where you live, a lithium batt will be a mail order deal and I think we all know how much a pita that can be when it comes to returns and warranty while in the mean time you still need to find another battery until a new one shows up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed. I have found one use for a lithium motorcycle battery - my kid's jogging stroller. Powers the headlights for a couple of hours at a time with no problem and doesn't add significant weight. For any normal use in a car or a bike, traditional batteries are the way to go. They'll last longer and operate properly in cold temperatures, and cost a fraction of the amount.

Back