• Register Today It's free!

Sync Connect - wifi hotspot

SLE

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Maybe I'm missing something, but what's so great about Sync Connect and the wifi hotspot. Almost everyone can use their phone as a hotspot, why would I basically pay for yet another cell phone subscription (Sync Connect) to create a hotspot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's so great about Sync Connect and the wifi hotspot. Almost everyone can use their phone as a hotspot, why would I basically pay for yet another cell phone subscription (Sync Connect) to create a hotspot?
Aside from the hotspot, the built in LTE provides the ability to remotely lock/unlock doors and start/stop the engine through the FordPass app. This connectivity feature is free for 5 years whereas the hotspot is 3 gigs or 3 months, whichever is first, in Canada, not sure about the US. I don’t see myself paying for the hotspot after the trial, however the other features are cool and provide that extra peace of mind, especially where the door locks are concerned.

Sounds to me that all they did was essentially take the DL3Z-19A390-B module and integrate it into the APIM on the new models. Correct me if I'm wrong. Handy for sure, but I wonder what the cost is after 5 years, anyone know?

Aside from the hotspot, the built in LTE provides the ability to remotely lock/unlock doors and start/stop the engine through the FordPass app. This connectivity feature is free for 5 years whereas the hotspot is 3 gigs or 3 months, whichever is first, in Canada, not sure about the US. I don’t see myself paying for the hotspot after the trial, however the other features are cool and provide that extra peace of mind, especially where the door locks are concerned.
Thanks for the info, it's good to know. I agree, the FordPass features might be useful. The WIFI hotspot, not so much.

Digging up this old thread as I've just traded for a 2019 Platinum. Does the US also have 5 years free for the FordPass app connectivity? What about for the hotspot? I can't find any information on a trial period for it.

Back