SYNC Wifi Hotspot Question

Otto Maddox

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Hi there,

I have a 2016 Explorer (Platinum if it matters) running Sync MFT 3.8.

I want to create a hotspot sharing the data connection from my phone.

I get it working the first time, no real problems. Turn on PAN between the phone (Samsung Note 4) an the car. Enable sharing in Sync. Wifi devices in the car all get internet.

Until I turn the car off. When I turn it back on the Wifi starts up.. devices can associate with the car no problem.. but no internet.

I have to go back into the Bluetooth setting (in the car) and choose PAN again.

Once I do that, the Wifi devices in the car get internet again.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's a pain to have to go into the menu each time to enable PAN. I want the tethering on every time I turn on the car.

Thanks in advance.

Otto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of anyone using it. It's much easier just to use a hotspot from your phone.

I've never heard of anyone using it. It's much easier just to use a hotspot from your phone.
Well, maybe not if you think about it.

In and ideal world..

1st choice - SYNC = one time setup. Forget about it.
2nd choice - Phone = enable hotspot each time you need it.

I have two kids who both have iPads. If we go for a drive they will usually bring them and eventually during the trip they will ask "please turn on the internet".

That means I have to turn on the hotspot on my phone.. while I'm driving.

Not the most complicated task to turn on hotspot on the phone but not always convenient or the safest thing to do.

If the car would create a tethered connection automatically each time it would be more convenient.

Just seems silly for that setting to reset every time I turn off the car.

Hi Otto,

From what you're saying, it seems to be working as intended. Since most phones don't have unlimited data plans and some even have to pay for tethering, this feature will turn off when you turn the vehicle off. Hope that clears this up for you!

Rebecca

Hi Otto,

From what you're saying, it seems to be working as intended. Since most phones don't have unlimited data plans and some even have to pay for tethering, this feature will turn off when you turn the vehicle off. Hope that clears this up for you!

Rebecca
This doesn't make sense though since on the same screen there is also an option for notifying the person before making the connection.

If the connection is going to reset every time you start the car, why would you need to be notified? It will never notify you because the connection will never be made without you taking several steps to enable it each time.

The option for notification leads me to believe the setting for PAN is supposed to be permanent and then the owner can decide if they want to be prompted each time Sync tries to make the connection.

This is a bug. Is there a way to submit this to the Sync team.. maybe it gets addressed in a future revision?

Back