Hi - New to the Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mikestecker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited 4WD
Hey, just joined and a new Explorer owner here! Actually, as of writing I don't have it quite yet but will be picking it up in 4 days.

I purchased a used 2017 white Explorer Limited 4WD with 3.5L Ti-VCT engine and tow package. It has 20k miles on it and was exclusively a rental vehicle... Everything else from the specs they sent me seems pretty stock from what I can tell with the Limited edition.

Any suggestions on what to do first thing other than getting it checked out by a mechanic? Any upgrades/accessories you recommend? I know I'd like to swap out the grill for a black one to give it more of a sport look and also get WeatherTech floor mats... but if there's anything else you guys recommend I'm all ears!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear bumper protector.

My first change was to put LED lighting in the interior and licenseplate. I used red lights. Lets the kids read and doesn't annoy/blind the driver. Plus it looks cool. Exterior would be LED lighting for the fog lights (yours probably is LED already) and the back-up lights.

Next thing I'd do if you're so enclined, would be to go over to forscan.org and download and learn to use their tool to modify the car to what you'd like it to do for you.

Hey, just joined and a new Explorer owner here! Actually, as of writing I don't have it quite yet but will be picking it up in 4 days.

I purchased a used 2017 white Explorer Limited 4WD with 3.5L Ti-VCT engine and tow package. It has 20k miles on it and was exclusively a rental vehicle... Everything else from the specs they sent me seems pretty stock from what I can tell with the Limited edition.

Any suggestions on what to do first thing other than getting it checked out by a mechanic? Any upgrades/accessories you recommend? I know I'd like to swap out the grill for a black one to give it more of a sport look and also get WeatherTech floor mats... but if there's anything else you guys recommend I'm all ears!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your question has been asked many times by new members. I suggest that you browse the 'Modified' sub Forum to see what others have done. As for liners, if you want maximum coverage, go with Husky. They do a better job of covering both the 'dead pedal' and the carpeted area right over to the door sill. There are threads on both WeatherTech and Husky that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). Here is just one of them; Husky / WeatherTech Floor and Cargo Liners
Are you buying the Explorer from a Ford dealer? If so, is it a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) and ask if you can get the vehicles service history to see what has been done to it. Have you considered an extended Ford warranty? As for the recommended bumper protector, I recommend if considering that, do not go with the Ford one as it does not cover the 'lip' of the bumper. Check this thread; Installed - BMC Bumper Cover

Peter

Welcome to this forum! Some modifications are fine but others might void the factory warranty. Ask the Ford dealer if there are any recalls or TSBs that you might need. They could tell from the VIN number.

Check which version of Sync 3 you have. On the main screen, Settings/General Settings/Sync 3. It will likely show V2.0. V2.3 is the latest but if you have the former, you will probably have to do your own update.

Peter

Rear bumper protector.

Thanks, found one that I plan on ordering.

My first change was to put LED lighting in the interior and licenseplate. I used red lights. Lets the kids read and doesn't annoy/blind the driver. Plus it looks cool. Exterior would be LED lighting for the fog lights (yours probably is LED already) and the back-up lights.

Next thing I'd do if you're so enclined, would be to go over to forscan.org and download and learn to use their tool to modify the car to what you'd like it to do for you.

I was thinking about doing this for the license plate light but I read about flickering/line scans with the rear cam that I'm a bit worried about... As for the scanner, I already own a wifi ODBII scanner, just downloaded the app... thanks!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your question has been asked many times by new members. I suggest that you browse the 'Modified' sub Forum to see what others have done. As for liners, if you want maximum coverage, go with Husky. They do a better job of covering both the 'dead pedal' and the carpeted area right over to the door sill. There are threads on both WeatherTech and Husky that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right). Here is just one of them; Husky / WeatherTech Floor and Cargo Liners
Are you buying the Explorer from a Ford dealer? If so, is it a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) and ask if you can get the vehicles service history to see what has been done to it. Have you considered an extended Ford warranty? As for the recommended bumper protector, I recommend if considering that, do not go with the Ford one as it does not cover the 'lip' of the bumper. Check this thread; Installed - BMC Bumper Cover

Peter

Thanks for the tips. I've been browsing the site quite a bit but there are so many threads to read through. I was just asking to see if anyone had quick opinions they'd recommend.
I'm not buying from a Ford dealer, but rather directly from Avis which is selling their rental vehicle. They have assured me that it's all up to date and has recent service done. They are giving me a 3 day test drive so I plan on taking it either to a mechanic or possibly the dealer to have checked out before making the final purchase decision. As for the history, I was able to get the AutoCheck report which shows no issues. It also shows there is 2 years / 16K miles left on the base warranty and 4 years / 40k mi left on the drivetrain.

Check which version of Sync 3 you have. On the main screen, Settings/General Settings/Sync 3. It will likely show V2.0. V2.3 is the latest but if you have the former, you will probably have to do your own update.

Peter

I was just watching a YouTube video on how the update process works last night haha

I haven't noticed flickering on the camera but wouldn't say it's not there either. You need the
Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan.
it's the gen 2 odb2 connector that can switch. You can get them on amazon.

I haven't noticed flickering on the camera but wouldn't say it's not there either. You need the
Ford ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan.
it's the gen 2 odb2 connector that can switch. You can get them on amazon.

I ordered the Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 Scanner Adapter and saw there were reviews that said it worked with Forscan for iOS? If that doesn't work I'll order what you suggested....

I would just have someone take a close look under the vehicle and around the body panels for any major accident damage that was not declared thru insurance since its a rental

Back