• Register Today It's free!

'98 Running Board removal

wellingtonrd

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4
I have a '98 Eddie Bauer. I am wanting to remove the running boards and am having trouble. I removed all the screws, but can't get past the plastic "plugs" to actually remove it. Any tips?

Also, once that's off I want to plug up the holes with something or cover them somehow. Any advice? Does anyone have any photos of this project done?

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just start pulling. I had the XLT style boards and removed them a couple days ago. Most of the plugs stayed in the body, but popped out of the running board. I removed the L brackets completely and took the screws out of the ends located in the fender well first. There really isn't any other advice I can give you.

Well, that's just the problem. It might look horrible. That's why I need to find a safe way to remove them without just yanking them off - easy, if I didn't care about them.

If I get them off and I like what I see I might sell them to you.

There are 3 ways to get them off.

Bash them on the trail with a rock.

Sawzall.

Pull them off by hand.

There is just no other way around it. You're not going to hurt the boards by pulling them off. Just don't yank them. Gradually apply pressure until the tabs start to pop out. There are 19 tabs on each board for the XLT style boards... not sure about the EB.

this is what I did the other day, I had to use a cutting torch to heat all the L-Bracket to running board nuts.

1. unbolt the 4?13mm L-Brackets from the frame (3 bolts each I think)
2. remove all the 10mm nuts attaching the running board to the L-Brackets(used heat, really quick fast and hot)
3. remove the 4? #2 screws from the fenders to running boards
4. this is the tricky part, pull one side back and try to push the ends of the tabs with a long screwdriver whille pulling hard and up, the clips might release out of place when you lift up, when you see how they are attached you'll see what I mean

to cover the holes use the base model rocker trim or buy adhesive trim tape in your colour, if that doesnt work you can get the trim that the higher model first gen Exploders use and maybe drill to attach or double side tape it on.

Im using rocker trim and colour match eddie bauer 1/4 trim and de-chroming the bumpers and body colour matched so it looks like it has a body kit

before
IMG_0886.jpg

after
IMG_0890.jpg

and you just have to pull them off, you can go and try and push the plugs out with a screw driver, but like X6StringerX said many of mine just stayed on the truck while the boards came off

there are a few more pics in my Elite Registry

Those clips aren't dirt cheap, don't just rip them out. Use a screwdriver to carefully work the ends out. Of the two tips of each clip, one will be easy to push sideways to release, and one will probably have to pull out.

Do the best you can, without purposely causing damage. Good luck,

I just sent you an email through the email feature on this site, so hopefully you check the address it sends to and get it. I was wondering about whether you'd sell the running boards if you got them off.

I'm having the same issue with mine and havent had any luck. Have you come up with anything since you posted this thread?

Have 98 XLT 4x4, I think running boards look like crap. This is exactly what I'm trying to do. Does anyone know any replacement trim (not necessarily from another model explorer) or molding to fill in the side holes? Thanks. Will post pics when I'm done.

The only real fill that won't look hacked are the factory trim pieces shown on the white explorer above.

Another quick question, this may have been answered before on the forum so if it has excuse the repetition:

1.) What about XL vs XLT stock side molding for 98 explorer? I have XLT molding as I said...is the base XL molding any different or more flush?

2.) I noticed 99 explorers have actual running boards, as opposed to just ugly plastic side molding. Anyone put 99 side molding/running boards on a 98?

3.) Bushwacker makes street flares for 98 explorers, they say they work with base molding. On bushwacker site, they have a photo with the flares plus what they call the "stock molding" on a 98 explorer. I suppose this is the XL molding?

Otherwise, I'll have to go the whole herculiner route, or else have some custom fabricated diamond plate panels made for me.

Rock on guys...yeah I guess I could do with just removing the flares on the 98 side paneling and putting the street flares. It's those wheel well/flares/splash guards on the 98 side trim that I really dislike.

I'll have to yank my boards and figure out something. I happen to know a few guys who do diamond plate work so may ask them for estimate on side panels to cover holes.

Thanks for showing the 2000 mounty boards...I'll figure something out and post the photos when I'm done. I'm going for the more rugged/truck/offroad look than anything flashy...

Cheers.

The 2000 boards are the same as the '95+ boards, just the paint is a bit darker...

Rock on guys...yeah I guess I could do with just removing the flares on the 98 side paneling and putting the street flares. It's those wheel well/flares/splash guards on the 98 side trim that I really dislike.

I'll have to yank my boards and figure out something. I happen to know a few guys who do diamond plate work so may ask them for estimate on side panels to cover holes.

Thanks for showing the 2000 mounty boards...I'll figure something out and post the photos when I'm done. I'm going for the more rugged/truck/offroad look than anything flashy...

Cheers.

What'd you end up doing, im in the same boat and figure that if i take off the runningboards the flares must follow, but thats a lotta holes to plug and fix.

Thought I'd add this here.

While I was putting on the rocker covers (decided no on the running boards) I thought I'd push in some of the retainers to see how they plugged up the holes since it's a bit of a topic.

These are the same pushpins that hold the rocker cap bottoms to the rocker seam.

I got them here and these are the pushpins: CLICK

They are NOT the same diameter as a lot of the other pushpins on the truck.

For $5 for 50 of them, they're a nice buy. They fit pretty tight to the rocker, maybe 1/32 of a gap for the difference in the rocker thickness to the space between the pushpin head and the first retainer vane. They would certainly do the job though.

Here they are on the rig:

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Great resource find with that website! Thanks for that as I will be removing my rockers soon, to hopefully make room for sliders in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does this affect the ride quality in any way?

Back