Time for tires | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any further feedback on Michelin Premiers vs. Defenders? Everything I'm reading about the Premiers suggest that people love the ride and performance, but they wear prematurely. I'm leaning towards the Defenders for this reason.

PS: I'm at 31.5K miles on the stock Hankooks and expect 5K or so before I need to replace.

I have the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and doing very well, in heavy rain, loose dirt, some off-road and some mud - very pleased overall...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand and model tires are they? If they are directional tires they should all be facing in the same direction. Asymmetrical tires will have the larger shoulder threads on the outside of each tire. The pattern would look like a mirror image if you are looking at the left and right tires.
Picture below shows asymmetric tires on the left side and they are not a mirror image of each other from one side to the other. It is easy to see how one can assume they are not installed correctly if they don't know better. On the right are symmetric directional tires, which are a mirror image of each other from one side to the other and should always be marked with direction of rotation.

bkeTG9M.png

Picture below shows asymmetric tires on the left side and they are not a mirror image of each other from one side to the other. It is easy to see how one can assume they are not installed correctly if they don't know better. On the right are symmetric directional tires, which are a mirror image of each other from one side to the other and should always be marked with direction of rotation.

bkeTG9M.png
Look at the picture on the left again. Outside on the left matches the outside in the right. It’s the same with the inside thread. Mirror image. Thanks and have a great day.

bkeTG9M.png
Here is the definition of mirror image:

An image or object that is identical in form to another, but with the structure reversed, as in a mirror.

Look at the picture on the left again. Outside on the left matches the outside in the right. It’s the same with the inside thread. Mirror image. Thanks and have a great day.
I'm not going to argue with you, the asymmetric tires on the left are not a mirror image of each other. If you think they are, you either do not understand how mirrors work or you need to get your eyes checked.

Have a heavenly day....

i just replaced my stock tires with 265/50/20... i noticed that the left side front and back tire pattern is facing forward while the right side front and back pattern is facing backwards.. is this a problem?? there is no "arrow" or "this side out" kind of remarks on the tire. But i have noticed that there is a lot of road noise after the tire change
What size were your OEM tires? Can't tell because you still haven't updated your profile. Different trims have different sizes. Are we talking a 2012 Base, XLT, Limited??

Peter

I'm not going to argue with you, the asymmetric tires on the left are not a mirror image of each other. If you think they are, you either do not understand how mirrors work or you need to get your eyes checked.

Have a heavenly day....
You obviously have your definitions of mirror image and identical image confused. I’m not sure why you feel you need to try and attack me but I guess that internet courage is flowing through your veins. You are wrong and instead of accepting that, you come back with a childish insult. Do a little research before trying to correct someone.

TE="Ronxlt, post: 3680463, member: 274080"]Look at the picture on the left again. Outside on the left matches the outside in the right. It’s the same with the inside thread. Mirror image. Thanks and have a great day.[/QUOTE]
I agree with KayGee in that they are NOT a mirror image. If you look at the groves, they are slanted in different directions. The left one has grooves slanting downward from right to left. If the right tire was a 'mirror image' it would have grooves slanting downward from left to right. Instead it shows the groves slanting in the same right to left downward pattern. I actually did this using a 2 drawings and looked at the original and compared it to the image of the one I saw in the mirror. Can you say too much time on my hands?:)

Peter

TE="Ronxlt, post: 3680463, member: 274080"]Look at the picture on the left again. Outside on the left matches the outside in the right. It’s the same with the inside thread. Mirror image. Thanks and have a great day.
I agree with KayGee in that they are NOT a mirror image. If you look at the groves, they are slanted in different directions. The left one has grooves slanting downward from right to left. If the right tire was a 'mirror image' it would have grooves slanting downward from left to right. Instead it shows the groves slanting in the same right to left downward pattern. I actually did this using a 2 drawings and looked at the original and compared it to the image of the one I saw in the mirror. Can you say too much time on my hands?:)

Peter[/QUOTE]
Peter, you need to look at the thread blocks not the tire sipes. Please Google the differences in tire types and you will find your answer.

Easy to settle. Take a screenshot, and mirror it in any basic editing software.

Easy to settle. Take a screenshot, and mirror it in any basic editing software.
Just looked at my tires and they are just like I said. The larger thread blocks are on the outside of each tire just the way they are designed. The smaller blocks are in the inside. The tires are mounted in a mirror image of each other. The angle of the sipes don’t matter as the direction has a minimal effect on traction.

bkeTG9M.png
Pictures of two tires on left are asymmetrical directional tires. Wide shoulders to the outside of the rim.
Pictures of the two tires on the right are directional tiles. There will be rotational direction arrows on the tires.

Tire Tread Patterns- What do the Different Patterns Mean?

Without knowing what tires sze kan has, maybe they weren't installed correctly. They got flipped the wrong way from side to side by the installer.

That picture does not display the same type of image as the one posted here. That is a mirror image unlike the one in the post above. They pictures are different.

Peter
Peter, I didn’t post that other picture. Someone else posted it to try and discredit me. The picture in the link I posted supports what I have said since my first response about tire types on this thread. I’m not sure why someone felt a need to try an belittle me to make themselves feel important.

The tires on the left are identical. Literally. It's the same photo of one tire, rotated 180-degrees, complete with drop-shadow on the top.

The point does stand, that some tire styles are asymmetric, but not directional, so all tires in the line are identical, regardless of position, although they should be mounted in such a way that certain features of the tread block are to the outside/inside, but it doesn't matter which rim is located where on the vehicle as long as they're all mounted correctly (they may be rotated in a cross-pattern). I believe that's what KayGee is getting at, correct? Firestone Firehawk GT Pursuits are a good example.

Then you have directional, symmetric tires, all identical, but they may only be rotated on a particular side, but it doesn't matter which side a given tire is originally mounted on as long as the arrow is pointing in the direction of rotation; sides could even be safely swapped for the purpose of rotating tires, as long as the tires are remounted on a wheel in the reverse direction. Goodyear UltraGrip X-Ice are an example of these.

It's largely the same with asymmetric, directional tires, only they're specific to the side of the vehicle they're mounted on and cannot be reversed on rims to change sides, only moved forward or back, as seen in Ronxlt's link.

bkeTG9M.png

The tires on the left are identical. Literally. It's the same photo of one tire, rotated 180-degrees, complete with drop-shadow on the top.

The point does stand, that some tire styles are asymmetric, but not directional, so all tires in the line are identical, regardless of position, although they should be mounted in such a way that certain features of the tread block are to the outside/inside, but it doesn't matter which rim is located where on the vehicle as long as they're all mounted correctly (they may be rotated in a cross-pattern). I believe that's what KayGee is getting at, correct? Firestone Firehawk GT Pursuits are a good example.

Then you have directional, symmetric tires, all identical, but they may only be rotated on a particular side, but it doesn't matter which side a given tire is originally mounted on as long as the arrow is pointing in the direction of rotation; sides could even be safely swapped for the purpose of rotating tires, as long as the tires are remounted on a wheel in the reverse direction. Goodyear UltraGrip X-Ice are an example of these.

It's largely the same with asymmetric, directional tires, only they're specific to the side of the vehicle they're mounted on and cannot be reversed on rims to change sides, only moved forward or back, as seen in Ronxlt's link.

Actually the link I provided shows asymmetrical tires that can be rotated to any position on the vehicle. No matter what side you move the tire to the outside edge will always be on the outside of the vehicle. The link even mentions the rotation pattern.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually the link I provided shows asymmetrical tires that can be rotated to any position on the vehicle. No matter what side you move the tire to the outside edge will always be on the outside of the vehicle. The link even mentions the rotation pattern.

Ahh, okay, I get it now. I didn't notice the text saying they manipulated that image to make it a mirror. Asymmetrical tires generally wouldn't be a perfect mirror image. Some, especially the model pictured in your link, will look extremely strange when mounted correctly, one side channeling water forward and out, the other channeling it rear and out. As pictured, there would be two distinctly different tires in each set, i.e., a directional asymmetrical set.

On a related note, I have had a shop get careless and mount one tire out of a set backwards compared to the others. It does make for strange handling characteristics...

Back