License plate cam

Zagnut

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, a third world country
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 4.0L Ed B Explorer
Callsign
haven't tested yet, despite having dual band radios.
So installed my new head unit and sub today.

I wanted to install my backup license plate cam, however...

After popping off the interior tailgate panel, I realized this was going to be a job of it's own.

Im not sure how to run the cable into the tailgate, other than drilling a hole above the license plate, putting in a grommet, and sealing it.

And than there's running the cable up, to the side around the glass hatch, through the rubber wire loom, into the roof/headliner...ugh

Looking for input or opinions on how to go about doing this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have felt your pain. I was going to mount my backup camera on the trim piece above the plate with the plate lamps. Fortunately, I looked at how to run the wire first and gave up on that idea. the connector on the cable was just simply too big to get through there. Instead, I mounted the camera on the same mount as the 4 wire trailer harness. Mine has the tow package and had the 7 pin along with a piece of metal that had the 4 pin at the end. Drilled a hole in that and all is well.

I drilled into the bumper to mount the camera. There's a way to run the cable behind the bumper and up behind the tailgate. I then ran the cable under all the plastic trim on the drivers side

I installed back up cameras on both of my explorers.
It takes about 2 hours of work, but I snaked the wire behind the licence plate after taking the plastic panel of the tailgate inside the truck.
Then using a stiff coat hanger wire, and dropping the headliner a little, I snaked the AV and the power cable through the rubber grommet on the top between the tailgate and the main body of the truck.
Then I dropped the headliner and remove some of the trim pieces on the left side of the car and run all the wires to the front and they came out on the driver's A pillar.
No holes drilled, all concealed and you can't tell it's there.
You can use the back light wire to power the camera when you are in R.

I installed back up cameras on both of my explorers.
It takes about 2 hours of work, but I snaked the wire behind the licence plate after taking the plastic panel of the tailgate inside the truck.
Then using a stiff coat hanger wire, and dropping the headliner a little, I snaked the AV and the power cable through the rubber grommet on the top between the tailgate and the main body of the truck.
Then I dropped the headliner and remove some of the trim pieces on the left side of the car and run all the wires to the front and they came out on the driver's A pillar.
No holes drilled, all concealed and you can't tell it's there.
You can use the back light wire to power the camera when you are in R.
Pictures! I literally have popped off every piece of trim in my vehicle to run any kind of aftermarket piece you can think of except a backup camera (which is on the to-do list).... I'm no stranger to removing all kinds of trim.

I tried a coat hanger and it was giving me a stroke... What i did was put every wire deep inside of all the other wires and pull the boot down until it clears and you essentially ran all those wires automatically ... I had to drill a larger hole in the liftgate to pass the wires through but no water has gotten in.... So a grommet isn't that needed just a paint pen to cover the bare metal, the only thing the brake light should trigger is the radio dont use it to power the camera it slows down the time it takes to come online and most radios have a feature to view the cam without it in reverse and that option will be unavailable...

You really only have to remove crome piece with plate lights and this is the hard part its really easy to break the ford emblem, liftgate panel only hard part is clearing the latch, trim Panel at the very rear of the headliner and the a-Pilar.... The wires can be routed above the headliner with out removing anything else, drop the wires in either above your feet with zipties or like i did remove the cluster and fish them behind there and in behind the radio.... Only hard part is choosing a back up cam... Im on my 2nd $10 ebay cam 1st one died in 6 months and the one i have now has a horrible pic and just to see **** i had to turn the color down and make it black/white.... Im using the mount from above style and changing it out is literally a 10 minute job now

Thanks MCF13
On our 07, i have that stupid 2-3 second delay after putting it in R.
But I am using a cheap eBay LCD screen on the dashboard as a display, not the radio.
So are you saying, the camera should be powered constantly (with ignition on obviously) and only the display should be wired to reverse 12v ?

Power is constant and the trigger wire is reverse... The lcd screen should have the same connections as the camera but im not familiar with those setups

Same. I used snake to pull wire through all the original gromets

Back