License Plate Light

mbushnell

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I'm having issues with the left license plate light on the tailgate of my 2016 Explorer Sport,
I've tried multiple bulbs, both incandescent and LED, and it will not light up unless I apply pressure on the end of the bulb, which I can't do when the bulb is installed into the light lens and the tailgate.
Is there a replacement bulb socket available for this light (perferably with pigtail wires) or a new harness? How difficult is it to change out the license plate harness?
Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can probably bend the tabs that power the bulb so they hold it tighter. If not, I’m sure ford sells the bulb sockets.

I need help finding a source or part number for the license plate bulb socket.
I got parts from my local Ford dealership, but not the socket. I received the light assembly that the bulb goes into and the wiring repair kit (pigtails & electrical connector) that the bulb socket plugs into, but not the bulb socket itself. I need the part in-between those two. The parts guy at the dealership looked into the parts catalog & couldn't find it. He said to try a local auto parts store. Tried Auto Zone and O'Reilly's & they couldn't find it.
I also tried NAPA and Rock Auto on line, no help. Rock Auto at least had the wiring repair kit, but I already have that.
Please help.

Mark

From the pictures, that appears to be the wiring repair kit, which I already have & is not the bulb socket, which is what I need.

I believe you're looking for: F81Z 13411-AA they sell generics on Amazon or you should be able to get it at the dealership.

Have you cleaned the terminals, checked for loose wires and used a little dielectric grease?

Back