Recent content by Mikey98Ex5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Mikey98Ex5.0

1. Mikey98Ex5.0

General 4th Gen Questions

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that was the case, I’ve seen lots of junkyard cars that probably ran fine, but were about ready to break in half from rust. Is there also anyway to quiet the front diff? Kind of makes a humming noise under load, my old 98 did the exact same thing so I’m not...
  2. Mikey98Ex5.0

We sprayed the Rockers with Fluid Film too, even found a couple spots to access the inner rockers and sprayed heavily in there too. Pretty much soaked this truck with it
  3. Mikey98Ex5.0

Great info, thanks! I will switch to 5W-30 on my next oil change. I have ordered all the fluids to get those changed as well. I already had this on a lift and a buddy and I sprayed it very thoroughly with fluid film, definitely want to keep this truck clean for years to come. Where could I find...
  4. Mikey98Ex5.0

Hey everyone, I finally found a clean 2009 Limited with pretty much all the options I was looking for, mainly the 4.6L V8. It has 127.5K miles and it runs pretty nice. Rides much better then my old '98. I plan to replace all fluids like front and rear diffs, trans, transfer case, power...
  5. Mikey98Ex5.0

2009-2010 6R transmission question

Got it, thanks for the info! Lots of that I didn’t know. Trying to learn more about the 4th Gens and what to look out for. What about rust issues? I’ve seen a few where the dog leg is rotted out so that must be a rust prone spot. Whenever I do pick one up that’s clean I plan to fluid film it...
  6. Mikey98Ex5.0

2009-2010 6R transmission question

Hey guys, I currently have a 1998 Explorer with the 5.0 but sadly she’s getting tired and rusty. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a 2009-2010 Limited with the 4.6L. From what I’ve read, it looks like the 2006-2008 had the 6R60 and the 2009-2010 got the 6R80? I like that the 6R80 sounds like...
  7. Mikey98Ex5.0

Want to buy: 99+ evap canister bracket

Anyone have a 99+ evap charcoal canister bracket laying around? The one on my 98 is pretty much rotted off and the canister is probably going to fall any day now. Let me know!! Thanks!
  8. Mikey98Ex5.0

Front end noise diagnosis; help needed

Thank you for your help!
  9. Mikey98Ex5.0

Well here’s what I found. The inside of the cv joint of the front driveshaft is pretty nasty and rusty. The ball bearings are dry and have lots of crud inside too. I’m guessing this was the issue. I’m going to replace the driveshaft along with some seals on the diff and tcase and go from there.
  10. Mikey98Ex5.0

I will look at it after work and update! Thank you for the help. I hope that’s it!
  11. Mikey98Ex5.0

I will check that out, I did notice the boot on the driveshaft where it goes into the tcase was torn. Otherwise I’m still not sure. But I will do more digging. I was expecting to find some kind of carnage somewhere.
  12. Mikey98Ex5.0

I replaced the driver side CV axle. I haven’t changed anything on the drive shaft.
  13. Mikey98Ex5.0

Wheel Hub? Or which bearing do you mean?
  14. Mikey98Ex5.0

I should add, the noise defintely seems to be coming from the front driver side.
  15. Mikey98Ex5.0

Hello everyone. Last week my Explorer started making this loud metallic noise in the front end. I replaced the drive cv axle and no change. I took the front diff out thinking that may be it but everything inside looks ok, no big metal peices, no worn gears. I then took the cover off the tcase as...
Back