• Register Today It's free!

Spacers under strut springs

Kopykat

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 ranger. 06 ex ltd
My truck already has the Tuxxx spacers so don't need to tell me about that.

What I am thinking is adding a spacer under the coil at the lower coil seat on the strut. I have aftermarket struts that have an isolator cup for the bottom of spring. This is a removable part and the seat on the strut is flat, not contoured like the factory struts.

Wonder if anyone has added a 1" spacer to preload the coils a bit more.

Towing a trailer the springs are having a hard time with the tongue weight. and sag approx. 2" with the trailer connected. Thinking that if I boost the rear a little bit higher that it will settle closer to level giving me better steering control.

Yes I am running an equalizer hitch. and the tension on the chains is a lot. I lift the back of the truck 4-5" before loading the bars, but it settles back down past level.

I built some spacer cups yesterday and may get around to installing tonight and see where everything sits.

Just wonder if anyone else has tried this.

Maybe when I have coil out I'll take some measurements and see if I can get a HD coil made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not go with the quicklift complete struts? adds a little more preload and can adjust to accommodate for on road and off road. While adding an extra half inch to inch

Would also love to see a pick of your Ex as well!

Got the spacers installed last night. Spacers were 1.25" and loaded the springs the right amount and now sit approx. 2" higher out back.

I don't think the Rancho Quick struts will help as they are only for about 1"-1.5" of lift at the wheel. I needed more than that.

Going camping this weekend so I'll be moving the trailer today. Will see how it sits with the new setup.

Driving to work today it's noticeable that the rear is a lot stiffer now, when unloaded.

1201BD80-EF9A-4710-98E6-7994EA0B3F70_zps91gti2o4.jpg

How it sat before.

76297AC8-4ACC-4ED9-954D-259B091810CC_zpsykepdpia.jpg

I tack welded the spacer so it wouldnt move around. There is a sleave that goes around the shock body so the spacer itself wont contact.

That's actually genius. does it affect any of the arms? specifically the upper considering it's already got strain from the truxxx?

This was done on the rear struts. So there is no upper arm of issue. It did make the unloaded ride a bit harsh. The 1.25" spacer did give me about 2" at the wheel.

I hooked the trailer up to move it for an upcoming trip this weekend. With the hitch loaded one link tighter it did seem to sit level, but a short drive it felt like the rear of the truck was lifting a bit too much. I'll see what it's like on the 400 mile round trip this weekend.

interesting, also I didn't think when I remember you saying you weren't doing this to the front. My bad. Still a genius idea.

Back