My 2007 has passenger type tires? WHY? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2007 has passenger type tires? WHY?

JamesF02

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT Sport Trac 4.0V6
I just bought a 2007 Sport Trac. So far I love it, but then noticed my tires need to be replaced. I noticed it calls for passenger tires? Why is that? Sport Tracs are trucks...

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but can truck tires be put on instead? I feel like they'd work better considering its a truck and all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size rims do you have on your ST? I have a limited and have factory 18's. Right now I'm running a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT RH-S. size 265-65-18. A little rub on full lock but great ride all season. Looks more aggressive too

My $0.02: save your money and get passenger tires.

Has to do with the GVWR. Passenger tires are adequate for the total weight that the ST is rated for. Ranger of the same year doesn't get Truck tires.

Note that I said rated for, not capable of.

If you tow, haul, or drive off-pavement a lot, I'd get the truck tires. If you just go to and from lowes once a month, and to/from work the rest of the time, passenger tires will be adequate.

The tire size is p235/70r16

96fire, That makes a lot of sense to me. I travel about 25 miles to work every other week so that's a good point on passenger tires. Are there truck tires that are similar to passenger that don't have horrible road noise etc but still are good for towing/off pavement?

They aren't a real truck, much like the exploder. Check the cargo capacity. IRS kind of kills the functionality. They are a glorified SUV. The price you pay for the better ride.

The tire size is p235/70r16

96fire, That makes a lot of sense to me. I travel about 25 miles to work every other week so that's a good point on passenger tires. Are there truck tires that are similar to passenger that don't have horrible road noise etc but still are good for towing/off pavement?
I'd have to look what I've got on my explorer, but it's a passenger A/T (cooper, I think). I didn't have any issues towing a 3,000lb trailer, and the couple times that I've had to go off-pavement (gravel parking pad onto uneven grass), they had good grip.

If you are regularly towing in the 3-5,000 lb range, I'd definitely recommend truck tires.
If you are regularly going off-pavement, like if you work construction and go to job sites, I'd get the truck tires.

If you go to a place like Tire Barn, they'll probably have a line of tires that are somewhere between the passenger and truck, specifically for SUVs and the Subaru guys that think an Outback wagon is an off-road SUV.

I went to Sam's at got a set of 4 passenger tires. I figure its best to go with what's recommended. Thanks for all the inside guys

Back