Transfer case fluid for an E-4WD Aerostar. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case fluid for an E-4WD Aerostar.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
I found a link to change an explorer t case fluid. They said removed balancer and it should take just over 2 qt. is the Aerostar t case basically the same balancer 2 qt and drain plug behind balancer. The old owner told me when I bought it she had the plug fixed 3 times fluid leaks from the plug. On an older write up there was mention of a mandatory t case replacement because they were made out of magnesium and cracked like an egg. And also an extra brace was placed on the t case to trans mount tail to take some of the force. If my case needs to be replaced should I get a 2 speed bronco 2 manual case so my front diff stops spinning. Or do I use explorer 2 speed manual I don't want to wire up a electronic eawd explorer unit. I'm draining my fluid tomorrow and inspection will follow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 165

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need help on transfer case fluid change

I looked up fluid change mine was dripping oil. I was lied to again owner told me oil plug keep leaking. 1 write up says remove harmonic balancer and drain plug will be under cover. I could not find a harmonic balancer on my t case. How to I fill my oil.2 there must be a large crack on the bottom of my case. Around were there's a large casting fin I found some form a glue/ epoxy I guess soft like chewing gum. Not jb weld this stuff is white.3 had a hell of a time jacking up the van. It has dz aluminum running board and getting under the van is a trip. I go to use the jack kit bran new was sealed in a rubber tool box tryed to jack van up on lift support I front of rear wheel I just made it I ran out of jack lift and had a1/2 space under tire.(going to need to carry a 2x6 for lift). Someone say a prayer light a candle for me and tell me how do I change the fluid. I have a bar that looks like a drive shaft that bolts to the t case and then bolts to the trans mount it's about 3 ft long is this a brace.

I don't know the Aerostar tcase, but on the Ranger/Explorer 1354 tcase, the back side of it has the drain and fill plugs, which are partially hidden by a round weight. That weight may be considerd a harmonic balancer.
The fill and drain plugs just take the square end of a 3/8" Rachel extension to loosen and tighten. Merton ATF is the fluid.
Not sure if any of this will apply to your case...

Thank you but there different an Aerostar has a Dana tc 28. My factory manual said the fill and drain are on the side but I can't figure if it's the wright plugs. And now I find there's a crack in the case I'm dripping oil and there's a white gummy patch on the bottom we're the oil is. I thought I would here from other Aerostar members but zip. My only ford was a 67 mustang convertible 6 cy auto so fords are new to me.

I know it's a different case, but I'll bet they are similar enough to have similar drain and fill plugs. I was just trying to help, since no one else was.

Thanks ranger I printed out a photo of the transfer case the plugs are opposed eachother. The drain is lower left side and the fill is on top on the right. If the service manual is correct. I have to figure out how to stop the leak. We're looking at big rain in Vegas for the next 3 days. There's a lot of love this van needs everything is factory 150,000 my rubber bushings are shot the ones on the springs and the others are rotted and split. But it rides and drives like a dream.

Your oil drain plug is leaking, the one with the brace on it. If your vent tube for the transfer case isn't perfectly centered the air going by the vent tube will siphon the fluid out. Those cases are known to crack but the one in your van looks like a fresh rebuild.

Your oil drain plug is leaking, the one with the brace on it. If your vent tube for the transfer case isn't perfectly centered the air going by the vent tube will siphon the fluid out. Those cases are known to crack but the one in your van looks like a fresh rebuild.
Thank you

Going to see if I can walk today after my fall. I'm sore if I can hobble I'm going to try to get to pick a part for that window. I need a hip X-ray first then if mobile I'm out to shop. When I bought it the minister told me the plug leaked and no garage could stop it. Is pipe dope a bad idea. To cover the threads. I got a tube of blue rtv gasket goop also.

Going to see if I can walk today after my fall. I'm sore if I can hobble I'm going to try to get to pick a part for that window. I need a hip X-ray first then if mobile I'm out to shop. When I bought it the minister told me the plug leaked and no garage could stop it. Is pipe dope a bad idea. To cover the threads. I got a tube of blue rtv gasket goop also.
Permatex 59214 will work. High temp thread sealant that is gas and oil resistant. Also you talked about the awd locking up when the module is plugged in, it is most likely the speed sensor on top of the transfer case or the wiring for it. Since the wheels roll free with the module unplugged that rules out a problem with the transfer case itself.

Thanks buddy your a wealth of knolage. I my X-ray and I'm all most as bad or worst. By the time the twisted my hip put plates there for the X-ray I hopped out in worst shape. I'm heading home going to layup on the sofa. Later today is my cancer treatment at 2 pm. Don't get old stay healthy

Age happens, in a short time it will be my turn....

Do you have a factory DVDs service manual. I have one if you need to burn a copy. I'm not good at copying dvd

I got the permatex thread sealer you said and 2 new window struts. Do they pop on with the hatch in the close position. I'm hopping for Tuesday since I fell I can walk I'm in pain. Hitting double shots of my morphine cancer Meds . I looked on my DVD code 8 says Ether driver seat relay or transfer case relay for awd problem. There's a thread someone did were they wired a toggle switch that bypassed the relays to give full time 4 wheel drive if stuck because in regular mode you only get 10 seconds max of lockup before the clutch unhooked

I got the permatex thread sealer you said and 2 new window struts. Do they pop on with the hatch in the close position. I'm hopping for Tuesday since I fell I can walk I'm in pain. Hitting double shots of my morphine cancer Meds . I looked on my DVD code 8 says Ether driver seat relay or transfer case relay for awd problem. There's a thread someone did were they wired a toggle switch that bypassed the relays to give full time 4 wheel drive if stuck because in regular mode you only get 10 seconds max of lockup before the clutch unhooked
When I changed the struts on my van I had to open the rear hatch. I'm leaving Vegas tonight or I'd stop by and hold the door open for you. I've read about people wiring a toggle switch for the transfer case clutch. It would be an easy permanent fix that would give you full time 4wd for short periods of time.

Hay do you have the factory DVD service manual. It covers all ford cars and trucks from 89? To 97. If not I can mail you a copy. I have a burner but my lazer is week. I'll send it to you and just mail it back if you need it

Hay do you have the factory DVD service manual. It covers all ford cars and trucks from 89? To 97. If not I can mail you a copy. I have a burner but my lazer is week. I'll send it to you and just mail it back if you need it
I found a copy but have not burned it to disc yet. If it does not work, next time I'm in Vegas I'll take you up on that.

OK ford did away with books and put every service manual on a factorydvd.
This has every ford on the DVD.you must have windows

Back