5R55E on a 98 XLT SOHC "If it ain't broke, still fix it???" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E on a 98 XLT SOHC "If it ain't broke, still fix it???"

Ionizer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have a 98 XLT SOHC with towing package. 160,000 miles on it never towed anything, very light 4wd and 70/30 city/highway useage. It's been a great vehical to date only replaced the radiator, water pump, and fuel pump. Some of those parts would still be in service if I found this site sooner and took a more active role in its maintance instead of assuming it's being taking care of because I'm throwing money at other people to do it.

Within the last year I changed ALL the FLUIDS and just did the plugs/wires, belt/tensioner, PCV valve, radiator hoses, cleaned the IAC and throttle body.

During this work I realized when I had previously paid others to drop the transmission pan and change the filter all they were doing was flushing it through the cooling lines. Exhaust bolts look siezed and my guess is the pan has never been dropped. Fluid has been changed every 30,000 to 40,000 miles and always looked good. Last year I placed a magnafine in line filter on it and flushed 10 qt of motorcraft through the cooling lines as I was afraid to touch a system that has not been broke into for 20 years.

I'm planing to keep this explorer until the engine explodes. Hope to get another 100,000 miles out of it but expect transmission issues and possible rebuild at some point. To date it is shifting great.

My question is should I leave good enough alone and keep riding as is until it's time to rebuild or take it to a mechanic that I have recently found that is honest, knowledgeable, and priced right to drop the pan and put a rebuilt updated valve cover with new solenoids in.

Probably looking at about $450 in parts/labor and this is above my pay grade even with your help. Transmission is performing fine now. Would this prevent future problems and give me more life before the rebuild or would I be better off saving the cash for the inevitable rebuild and just do it all at once.

I'm leaning toward the pan drop and valve cover replacement but was interested in your opinion if it was money well spent. Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the most part, the 4.0 SOHC is a great engine untill the cam timing setup ages out and lets go.

If I were going to spend any money on preventitive maintenance, I'd spend it on the cam chains/tensioners first.

Thanks for your input. I have read about the inferior timing chains/tensioners that were originally installed on the 4.0 SOHC.

Original owner was my mother and she had that issue addressed through the "owner notification program" I have the dealership paperwork but have not looked at it to see what was done and at what mileage it was done at. I'm guessing maybe I have about 120,000 miles on the timing chains but will look into that.

Looks like the front chains can be replaced without pulling the engine but consensus seems to be that it's a job for the ford techs. Any guestimates as to price?

Engine sounds strong, no slapping, rattleing, or pinging. I was planing to leave this alone until I noticed something was off. My understanding is you can usually hear them going out.

I'm interested in more opinions on this. The 5R55E or timing chains will eventually be the end to the vehical. I would not mind putting a couple thou$and into the vehical if I could be expected to get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Interested in what you think. Thanks.

Transmission:
As the fluid has be changed/flushed regularly I'd do a pan drop and filter change along with th 4-5 qts of fluid you'll drain.

Timing chains:
If they're not making any noise I'd leave them alone. Changing the tensioners may be risky as new tensioners could put extra strain on the old guides.

What Koda said. Just wait till either one goes then replace, but I can tell you first hand you would be better off swapping motors at the point that timing chains go. Then at that point Transmission...maybe
Robert

Pretty well what Koda said. Mine has 190K, and fluid wise has been cared for pretty well, and it runs fine, sounds fine, shifts fine etc.

I would guess the torque converter or transfer case would be the first to go. YMMV

Thanks for the responses guys. I just ordered a updated/rebuilt valve cover gasket and will have that installed with the pan drop. With luck I will get over 200,000 on the original tranny.

I'm going to start looking into rebuilt/reman engines/transmissions for when the time comes. Plan on buying a new SUV within the next year or two but like the idea of keeping a beater around to be sacrificed for daily city commute. I think I'd be better off rebuilding the explorer and knowing its history rather than buying somebody else's problem. Thanks again and keep any suggestions coming.

Well, it's your vehicle and your money, but IMO putting $4000-$6000 (assuming you plan to do all the labor yourself) into a 1998 vehicle that has a value of maybe $1500 would be a poor decision. If you do that and have a minor accident, even if it's not your fault, the insurance company would total it for something as minor as a cracked plastic bumper cover. They wouldn't care if you could prove you'd just put $4000-$6000 into it, plus if the accident's your fault I would assume you don't carry collision insurance on a 19 year old vehicle.

I'd suggest that you could purchase a much newer used vehicle with far fewer miles and a good service history for the money you'd spent replacing an engine and transmission in your '98 if you want to have a spare vehicle handy.

Back