chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
'98 4.0L SOHC XLT 4x4 w/ 5r55e trans

I am coming up on doing first service (12k miles) on my rebuilt 5r55e. My shop put in Mercon-V but I would like to use Mobil-1 full synth ATF. I know that a simple flush/fill is only going to replace some of the fluid so I'd have a mixture of Merc-V and M1. Would a pan drop/filter cleaning be advised? I'm wondering if there would be shavings that might have accumulated in the pan since they did the rebuild, so a pan drop might be in order. I am still researching this and may decide NOT to do it myself and let my shop handle it. I'd like to have them do a pan drop/filter cleaning/full flush&fill with M1 even if I had to bring in the fluid. If I go the shop route I am budgeting about $150.
Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO it's probably overkill to drain and refill. Also, Mobil I ATF doesn't meet Mercon V spec so I'm not convinced it would be an improvement.

Just use Motorcraft Mercon V its 5$ a litre

Personally I'd stick with Mercon V.

Ok, well, it looks like straight Mercon V then! But what about the type of service? Should I drop the pan and refill, power flush at a shop, do a simple fluid change myself? Any rec's on that?

If you just have 12k miles on it and it has not been used for heavy towing, I would say the fluid would be in pretty good shape. There could be some wear particles from the friction plates that should get picked up by your magnets so I would just drop the pan, clean the magnets, and replace the filter and refill. While the pan was off, I would put a drain plug on it to make it easier to drop the pan the next time.

at 12k I don't know that i'd do anything to it, but if you want to, just drop the pan, clean the magnet, add a drain plug, replace the filter and just refill it with Mercon V as recommended.

The Mobil-1 site states that M1 Full Syn ATF "meets or exceeds the requirements of Ford Mercon V". That's one reason I am considering it. Where did you hear it did not meet the Mercon V spec?

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Would you suggest then just a flush and refill, or just leave well enough alone until the
30k mile mark?

Sorry, my mistake. I got it mixed up. It meets Mercon V but not Dexron VI (I knew it didn't meet one of the current specs).

at 12k I don't know that i'd do anything to it, but if you want to, just drop the pan, clean the magnet, add a drain plug, replace the filter and just refill it with Mercon V as recommended.

I'm thinking that's the best option. Don't know if I want to get into tapping a hole in the pan, tho. RA has a Dorman pan with a drain plug and a magnet for $40. Might just buy that and a gasket and clean/re-use the old filter. I assume the filter is re-usable? A cheap kiddie pool to catch the spillage should probably keep my rear driveway clean, eh. I understand it can be a mess. With the pan, gasket, etc.. probably less than $60.

And a stupid question.. how do I get new fluid into the trans? Through the dipstick?

And a stupid question.. how do I get new fluid into the trans? Through the dipstick?

Yup.

Just don't take oxycontin and tip 7 litres of Merc V into your engine oil dipstick hole.

I reckon an inline oil filter would be good. It would filter better than a screen.

Yup.

Just don't take oxycontin and tip 7 litres of Merc V into your engine oil dipstick hole.

LOL, sounds like me.... one time I put used antifreeze that I'd stored in an old windshield washer fluid container into to my washer fluid tank. Not the biggest deal but the car the antifreeze came from had a blown head gasket! :bdrunk::bdrunk:

Just to close this out...

I've decided to go with a pan drop, new Dorman #265831 pan with a drain plug and magnet already installed, a WIX/Filtran #58841 filter kit, Motorcraft XT5QMC Mercon V, and I'm going to install Magnefine 3/8" inline filter. Should be about $120 all told. Maybe overkill but I'll feel better and my new trans will too!
Thanks to all for your input.

All good things chef, very prudent. Best wishes.
Doc

Back