To those membes who did the BROWN WIRE MOD.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To those membes who did the BROWN WIRE MOD..

bronco loco

Reaction score
City, State
li new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 2003
Does your 4x4h and 4x4l lights on dash still flashes after the modification?, please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did not flash, however the 4x4H light would come on after slipping occured. On a side note, the brown wire mod completely destroyed the clutches in my transfer case which had only 15-20k miles on it. I would definitely not recommend doing this mod if the intention is to do burnouts or drift in mud etc. It's just not worth it.

Thanks for the input, no burnouts/mud drifting for me. Just want to have some control when to engage my 4x4 on my 2003 Ex EB.

Mine did not flash, however the 4x4H light would come on after slipping occured. On a side note, the brown wire mod completely destroyed the clutches in my transfer case which had only 15-20k miles on it. I would definitely not recommend doing this mod if the intention is to do burnouts or drift in mud etc. It's just not worth it.

How did you destroy them? Did you do burn outs, difting, etc?

The main point of doing this mod is because Ford leaves the front wheels engaged at 10%+ (which is stupid to say the least). For whatever reason Ford thinks we aren't smart enough for 2WD. The Auto 4x4 was causing my car to shudder going around tight turns due to the drive train binding up.

I burned mine up just by going through mud with it disengaged a couple times and letting the rear spin. The reason it causes damage is because even with the BWM active, the clutch is still engaged slightly to pre-load the clutch pack which means spinning the rear will burn up the clutch. The system is designed to always match the speed of of the front and rear shafts. If the speeds are not the same it will increase the clutch pressure until it is, so in A4wd the clutch doesn't see any slipping.

I opened the case up with a Ford transmission tech and he confirmed it. Luckily I had already swapped in a new one which has been working great ever since.

Back