Safe to run engine in park with tranny drained? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safe to run engine in park with tranny drained?

ErikElvis

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer Eddie Bauer.
Edit: sorry. Run it in "park"

unfortunately I drained the trans fluid and removed the valve body thinking I would do a quick fix but the trans needs a rebuild. I had some water and coolant cleaner in the system and want to get it out and put just coolant back in before we start getting freezing temps. Ok to to run it?

Thanks
Erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normally I'd say no, but as you're going to rebuild the tranny anyway I'd say you could get away with running the engine for a short period, but you will not have any lubrication in the transmission and may very likely cause additional damage. It's probably not a good idea.

I'm going with no.

Could hurt your front pump as well as anything that's turning without lubrication, I wouldn't do it

Take out the block drain plugs. There are 2 of these, one at the rear lower corner of the block just above the oil pan gasket.

This will drain the block and with the rad drained it will be empty, but you could run water in the T stat hole to flush the block with the plugs out.

EDIT...... I'm talking 5.0 I have no experience with 6cly.

I'm not sure that a '95 has block drains. Seems Ford did away with block drains at some point. Worth checking though.

95 Mustangs do.

Cool thanks guys. Drain plugs definitely worth a look.

Back