Output shaft seal leaking into transfer case | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Output shaft seal leaking into transfer case

No, it would have to be a very extreme tilt to get that much extra fluid in a t case.

My buddys was filled to the top because every time his tranny would slip from being low he'd just fill it to the full mark no questions ask. After a few times the T case was filled to the top and pukeing out the breather.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Overfill of anything creates extra "drag", lowers efficiency, and decreases fuel economy.

Have a nice day. imp

Thank you Captain obvious...lol

Possible scenario.

A guy has a sloped driveway, like mine. He backs his explorer into the driveway to put the rear-end closer to the tools. He then jacks up the rear of the truck to gain access to the transfer case fill plug-and when he does the fluid reads low. Better add a little? I sure did.

:)

Possible scenario.

A guy has a sloped driveway, like mine. He backs his explorer into the driveway to put the rear-end closer to the tools. He then jacks up the rear of the truck to gain access to the transfer case fill plug-and when he does the fluid reads low. Better add a little? I sure did.

:)
No, Jon. Read above. That couldn't possibly happen........... ;)

Also, lots of people don't consider fluid drag, it's a valid point.

You guys are something else.

Turdles example happens a lot I'm sure. It then comes down to common sense on adding more if it seems low from tilting the wrong way.

I don't think it really makes a deference in a T case if it's a little over filled or under filled as far as hurting anything.

Unless the tranny seal is out and that's the reason the T case is filling up. Then after say 2 quarts or so your tranny will slip some and that's never good.

My buddy was a dumb ass and just kept filling the tranny which kept filling the T case till it was as full as it could be and poured out of the vent.

Use that info as you will and keep an eye on the tranny level.

EDIT.... I see what happened. In post #15 you say unless it was overfilled.

I thought you meant the tranny being overfilled and pushing the excess ATF into the T case.

It was a misunderstanding, carry on.

Transmission level is fine. I'll pull the fill plug periodically, but I'm not really expecting much.

@Mbrooks420 ".....consider fluid drag, it's a valid point."
Note that over the years (lots of them.....) manual transmissions, for example, have changed very little, EXCEPT that way back when they were filled with heavy gear oil. In really cold weather, the stuff was so thick, shifting was at first difficult. How much affect on fuel economy? Apparently enough that manufacturers gradually went to very thin fluids in them, usually Automatic Transmission Fluid, due to it's ability to resist high gear-tooth pressures better than engine oil. No good with the big, Hypoid Gears in differentials, though. They generate pressures highest of all.

I used ATF in my stick shifts starting back in the '60s. That's 1960s, not 18! imp

Back