2003 Lariat Super Crew "Husker Larry" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Lariat Super Crew "Husker Larry"

Turdle

DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Introducing our old new truck

2003 Lariat. Plans are 295 AT tires, Come up with coilover conversion , Nav stereo with cameras.

As for now

img_20200624_100903072_hdr_cbdc8f5a3882155e8c592a4bc76540de4c60ea8a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torsion bars woes plague these things also. Woe woe woe--

IMG_20210620_153714694.jpg

So, I used up a few wire wheels and some rustoleum rust repair stuff

IMG_20210622_124904970.jpg

The front skid looked good but I wanted it to look more modern so I took it off

IMG_20210622_130841305.jpg

Powdercoated it silver

IMG_20210622_154910705.jpg

So far I have tried 2 local yards, and 5 yards from Arizona to Wyoming via car-part dot com with all of them replying they cannot remove a set of torsion bars for me because they are rust fused into place. Ford does not sell them any longer referring them as obsolete.

Not even kidding. My aftermarket searching skillz have failed to find a viable fix for this.

well, if i can remember, i am sure i can find some working at a scrap yard. they sometimes toss me in the back in what is called "fluid extraction" building. which means i process all vehicles that people bring in. that also means its real easy for me to pull parts because there are 2 lifts that i use.
is there a certain year they have to be, or is there a number on them that i can go off? im not saying i will find them today or tomorrow but eventually.

well, if i can remember, i am sure i can find some working at a scrap yard. they sometimes toss me in the back in what is called "fluid extraction" building. which means i process all vehicles that people bring in. that also means its real easy for me to pull parts because there are 2 lifts that i use.
is there a certain year they have to be, or is there a number on them that i can go off? im not saying i will find them today or tomorrow but eventually.
Thanks a bunch Tim . I really do appreciate the offer but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. They are not like our explorer bars. Much difficult. 3 crossmembers in the way so 2 of em have to come out which means supporting the transmission. , this is just to see if you can get a good enough whack on em. Youtube shows a lot of issues when guys are just trying to install index keys. Lift kit installs usually involve removing crossmembers, then the t bar cross member, bars and control arms as a single assembly unit , setting it aside to install the brackets and stuffs-

it's in the 1997-2003 4x4 group, spring code 6 ( 2wd uses coil springs)

And then 285's happened.
IMG_20210806_113056404.jpg
IMG_20210806_113112459.jpg
IMG_20210806_113139342.jpg

needed a wheel and decided what the heck , went ahead and got 2 new wheels so we could do a 5 tire rotation and have full sized matching spare. Second wheel took a bit longer so were waiting on the mobile tire shop to come back today.
IMG_20210806_113612931.jpg

Last edited:

In hopes for better fuel economy, and because I already had all pieces to do it,

Larry got the Gotts mod today.

How have I not seen this thread for a year? :eek: Good looking truck!

In response to what I've read... If you want me to I can begin a search for T-Bars here in rust free AZ and let you know what I can come up with.

I'm Lovin the tires you got. I'd love to replace the wheels and tires on my F150. It came with 35" Mud terrain tires (Which I like) on 20" aftermarket wheels (Which I don't like). I like the wheels design but not the size. If I'm gonna have 35" tires, I don't want them on 20" wheels, rather have 17s. The dream is a set of New Raptor Take offs. But those things run 2,500-3,000. I can buy a set of new aftermarket wheels AND tires for less than that.

I must confess I had to look up "Gotts mod" to know what it is. LoL Neat, simple, effective mod. I like it. I hadn't worried about breathing as Big Red came with a Roush CAI already installed. (LoL No I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one, but if it COMES with one.... hehe)

How have I not seen this thread for a year? :eek: Good looking truck!

In response to what I've read... If you want me to I can begin a search for T-Bars here in rust free AZ and let you know what I can come up with.

I'm Lovin the tires you got. I'd love to replace the wheels and tires on my F150. It came with 35" Mud terrain tires (Which I like) on 20" aftermarket wheels (Which I don't like). I like the wheels design but not the size. If I'm gonna have 35" tires, I don't want them on 20" wheels, rather have 17s. The dream is a set of New Raptor Take offs. But those things run 2,500-3,000. I can buy a set of new aftermarket wheels AND tires for less than that.

I must confess I had to look up "Gotts mod" to know what it is. LoL Neat, simple, effective mod. I like it. I hadn't worried about breathing as Big Red came with a Roush CAI already installed. (LoL No I wouldn't spend that kind of money on one, but if it COMES with one.... hehe)
The Pull a part on 27th ave in Phoenix has acres of these trucks, most look like they were driven to the spot they sit. The yard guys that hang out by the cash register will usually pull anything for $40 or less. I bought a 460 motor and the guy had it out and in the bed of my truck in under 15 minutes.

I appreciate it guys, if anyone can get a set of non rusted code 6 bars I d be grateful. I gave up after being refunded 4 times by various places who could not get em free from the control arms.

I appreciate it guys, if anyone can get a set of non rusted code 6 bars I d be grateful. I gave up after being refunded 4 times by various places who could not get em free from the control arms.
later in summer i can check my local yards too!

I powdercoated the cracked from above wheel, had it sitting outside for a sort of advertisement, and, someone stole it

IMG_20210927_131735598.jpg IMG_20210927_131724740.jpg

Thanks for saying that

I powdercoated the cracked from above wheel, had it sitting outside for a sort of advertisement, and, someone stole it
People will steal anything these days. When I'm trimming the yard, I box up the clippings in a TV box or any box that looks like it has something valuable inside. I'll put it in the bed of the truck and when I'm out doing my shopping someone will steal my trash. My grandpa is the one who gave me the idea, he did it first.

People will steal anything these days. When I'm trimming the yard, I box up the clippings in a TV box or any box that looks like it has something valuable inside. I'll put it in the bed of the truck and when I'm out doing my shopping someone will steal my trash. My grandpa is the one who gave me the idea, he did it first.
thats one way to take out the trash! 🤣 🤣 🤣

MLB hit a tree limb ( she remembers the thud, pulled over didn't see anything ) which lodge part of itself in the lower control arm, which tore the CV boot.

Tried a new boot but these shafts are not clipped, so, back I went for a new cv axle. It's a tad easier job on these.

Yup, those are 2003 ranchos.

IMG_20220826_182406120.jpg IMG_20220826_182421258.jpg

8.8 front axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back