How to: - '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
How does the Terminator engine with no boost compare to the MK VIII engine for low speed torque?

Night and day difference. Of course the tune is somewhat better. It's so much better to drive now. After talking with an engine builder friend of mine and some online research, I built a new tune shooting for 12.5-11.5 afr. I built the previous tune at 11.0 from the advice of another tuner friend, but he mainly builds and tunes rotary Mazda engines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Night and day difference. Of course the tune is somewhat better. It's so much better to drive now. After talking with an engine builder friend of mine and some online research, I built a new tune shooting for 12.5-11.5 afr. I built the previous tune at 11.0 from the advice of another tuner friend, but he mainly builds and tunes rotatary Mazda engines.
I'm surprised. I thought with the blower belt disconnected on the Terminator the low engine speed torque would be less than for the MK VIII with the tuned intake ports. Is your WOT lambda multiplier set to 1.00?

I'm surprised. I thought with the blower belt disconnected on the Terminator the low engine speed torque would be less than for the MK VIII with the tuned intake ports. Is your WOT lambda multiplier set to 1.00?

I have never rannit with the blower belt off, it is also the alternator belt, so it wouldn't last very long. I thought you just meant low throttle torque. I'll check the multiplier. Should it be set to 1.00?

I finally figured out the tune! Truck runs great. I am going to the track Wednesday night and getting a timeslip. I haven't put the supercharger pulley on yet. I want to get a "baseline" before I change anything else.
The above is the post I was referring to.
In your tune there should be a TP setting to establish WOT. When that value is exceeded the PCM multiplies the value in the Base Fuel Table for the particular TP and rpm by the WOT fuel multiplier. The stock tune for my Sport had the WOT Fuel Multiplier set to 0.875. The entry in the stock Base Fuel Table for TP > 700 and rpm > 5500 was also 0.875. That means the PCM would be commanding .875 * .875 = .765 or 11.25:1 AFR. I think Ford does that to protect the engine from detonating at WOT. I prefer to have the AFR controlled by the base fuel table even at WOT. So I set the WOT Fuel Multiplier to 1.00.

Good info, thanks for the tip.

Good info, thanks for the tip.
Another thing I do is expand my table indices so the engine parameters are always within the table values. The PCM normally interpolates between two index values in a table to determine the specific value. Below is the "safe" Base Fuel Table I initially generated for my Sport when I added the M90 with the WOT fuel multiplier set to 1.00.
BaseFuelTable2KSR02.1.jpg

In the above table if the TP is 550 and RPM is 4000 the PCM will interpolate between TP = 500, RPM = 3500 and TP = 600, RPM = 4500 to get the specific commanded value. If the value exceeds an index limit the PCM can't interpolate and normally uses the closest index. However, I had crazy things happen sometimes when interpolation is not possible. That's why I increased the max RPM from 5500 to 6250 which is the stock rev limiter setting and increased max TP from 700 to 750.

I know this is an older thread
But I have a 2003 Explorer limited with a 2v 4.6
And I just bought a wrecked 2005 Aviator with a good engine and drivetrain
Is it worth doing the swap?

Oh yea, and you shouldn't have to buy anything major. Swap the knuckles/brakes also.

I have a 2003 Explorer limited with a 2v 4.6
And I just bought a wrecked 2005 Aviator with a good engine and drivetrain
Is it worth doing the swap?

Your 2005 has the best heads. From what I've read the 3 valve 4.6L has better over all performance than the 4 valve. I doubt that the 4 valve has better performance than the 2 valve below 4,000 rpm. I'm planning to swap my 2 valve with the 4 valve just because it will be my last engine swap.

What all did you have to change
I’m sure everything won’t be plug and play
I saw you made another harness, what did you have to add to it or do you think I could just take the computers and all from the aviator and swap it over?
And before the engines in are there any mods I should do while it’s out?

Just take everything from the aviator, harness, pcm, engine. It should all work. I swapped an aviator pcm into mine for a little while before I got my tuning software. The body harness and trans harness plug right in, no issues. The only problem would be if you had a 04 or newer explorer. They changed some stuff, including the pcm in 04.

Just take everything from the aviator, harness, pcm, engine. It should all work. I swapped an aviator pcm into mine for a little while before I got my tuning software. The body harness and trans harness plug right in, no issues. The only problem would be if you had a 04 or newer explorer. They changed some stuff, including the pcm in 04.
Alright
That’s awesome, my Explorer is a 2003 and the Aviator is a 2005
I saw you said swap the knuckles and brakes too
Whats the difference?

Brakes are bigger all around, have to swap the knuckles to mount everything. There is a very good write up about it on here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Do you know if the transmissions are the same in an explorer and an aviator?
Everything I look up says they’re both the 5r55s
The aviator I bought is awd and has 67,000 miles on it, the trans in my explorer is fine but it has about 138,000 miles on it and I could just swap the trans in with the engine
But I’m not sure about the difference(if there is one) between the explorers 4wd and the aviators awd

There are 2 transmissions for 02-03 explorer. 5r55w and 5r55s. I think only the early 02 had the "w." The aviator uses the 03 5r55s and it is interchangeable. The 04 and up explorer have a different solenoid pack and strategy in the pcm. So yes, all aviator and late 02 and 03 explorer trans are same. As long as they are both 4wd/awd.

Did you put headers on the 4v engine?
I’m trying to make a list of everything before i swap them
I know there are some headers for the 2v engine, not sure if they’re the same or not or if there’s a way we could use mustang headers or something

I used stock aviator manifolds. 4v heads have unique exhaust ports. If you find headers for an aviator they should work fine.

Im going to be trying to put a set of pacesetter long tubes from a mustang on my aviator,no time soon and dont know how different the explorers are..ill be building a custom exhaust for it also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back