Engine break down after 3000 rpms

John clayton

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport trac
What causes engine to breakdown after hitting 3000 rpms in a 20002 sport trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What does "breakdown" mean? Be more specific.

If it happens in neutral or park, it's the rev limiter kicking in. "Helps" to prevent grenading an engine without a load, or slamming the transmission into gear at high RPM. There's also a speed limiter programmed on "certain" Sport Tracs at around 90-100 MPH. OP's duplicate post 4 minutes earlier:

3000 rpms then breakdowns

If it happens in neutral or park, it's the rev limiter kicking in. "Helps" to prevent grenading an engine without a load, or slamming the transmission into gear at high RPM. There's also a speed limiter programmed on "certain" Sport Tracs at around 90-100 MPH. OP's duplicate post 4 minutes earlier:

Yeah. I saw it was a dupl post by the OP and read what you had said.

so what is the fix

What fix? Is the engine shutting down at 3000 RPM in neutral or park, or while driving at high speed? There are programming devices such as the SCT X4 that will remove the neutral/park rev limiter and the speed limiter, but they sell for around $400. What are you trying to do?

When parked in neutral will idle up 3000 when you step on gas then breakdowns

Not going to preach, but see no reason to do that. Regardless, this is from the SCT site linked below. Good luck.
Rev Limiter

Regulate the highest RPM that an engine can reach before the engine is electronically limited. Increasing the RPM limit is recommended only for racing purposes. Once of the most important ways to protect your engine from damage is to keep the RPMs from going too high.
SCT

Thanks for the help do you know if it a easy fix and how expensive

There are programming devices such as the SCT X4 that will remove the neutral/park rev limiter and the speed limiter, but they sell for around $400.
Or call your Ford dealer.

Just curious, but why would you want to rev your engine above 3000 RPM in PARK or NEUTRAL? I can't think of any good reason for doing this.

Just curious, but why would you want to rev your engine above 3000 RPM in PARK or NEUTRAL? I can't think of any good reason for doing this.
i was not trying to do this when i started to back out of driveway i noticed that engine was not operating correctly so i put it in park and tried to rev engine and would not go beyond 3000 rpms

i was not trying to do this when i started to back out of driveway i noticed that engine was not operating correctly so i put it in park and tried to rev engine and would not go beyond 3000 rpms
Like everyone is saying, It's not supposed to go beyond 3000 rpms in park or neutral, if it's running poorly it has nothing to do with not revving past 3000 rpms.

If your truck is not "operating correctly" or running well, you likely have stored trouble codes that can help pinpoint the problem. Many larger auto parts stores can check for them as a free service. If your vehicle can be driven safely, call around and write down the trouble code NUMBERS if there are any. Post the NUMBERS and we'll go from there. MANY different possibilities:

OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

Back