• Register Today It's free!

Unlocking with key.

Spitfire45

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
Hi, I just picked up a newer Explorer 2010, than my 2002 with a bad tranny and too long a list to go through. It did not come with a keyfob so when I picked up a replacement and programmed it’s function it doesn’t work properly. Is it because I have a wiring or switch issue. When I use the key and turn it once it opens the drivers door, but when I turn it a second time nothing happens, it should open all doors. Pressing the door open keyfob it unlocks the rear glass.even pressing the lock button it actuates the rear glass. Trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you programmed the remote, did all the locks cycle like they are supposed to?

No when you press the unlock button the back last opened. When you press the lock button the back glass opens. Double-click the button sometimes driver door opens sometimes they all of . When I unlock the car with the key turn once the drivers door unlocks when I immediately turn it a second time the passenger doors should unlock but don’t. Is my wiring to the key switch bad?

I've read and re-read this like 3 times. You have two separate issues - one with the remote fob and another with the key itself, correct?

When you unlock the drivers door with the key, I am like 99% certain that the other doors don't unlock with a second twist. I know a lot of vehicles do that, I have one that will also raise and lower the power windows as well as open/close the sunroof. But I am almost positive the 4th gen Explorers, when using the key in the drivers door, is going to unlock that door only.

As far as the remote, it sounds like its not working right.

It sounds almost like the circuit board in your key-fob is in upside down. FWIW I tried the key in my driver door today and could only unlock that door.

my 98 did that my 07 will not unlock all doors with a double pump..... dont know if the board will fit turned 180 but its worth a look

So if the key only works the drivers door it sucks. Well the other thing is the remote is a replacement. There are a three and four button remote I got the four button, tried a few of them, same issues maybe try the three button. Or go to Ford for a factory one?

No you can’t turn the circuit board,only fits one way

So if the key only works the drivers door it sucks. Well the other thing is the remote is a replacement. There are a three and four button remote I got the four button, tried a few of them, same issues maybe try the three button. Or go to Ford for a factory one?

I have a junkyard near by and some of the junkers have the keys and fobs in the ignition.... my last replacement was hijacked from a 2004 mustang and they have the trunk button 4 key fob..... swapped the guts and worked great..... much cheaper option if you can get this lucky

While still unable to use the key to unlock all other doors other than the driver door. I did find a remote sold at Ace Hardware made by Duracell that works all doors hatch and glass, where the Dorman keyless entry remote from AutoZone is ass backwards for the Explorer.

Back