Explorer 2nd row console install | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2nd row console install

You guys have some great information on this thread. I have a 2014 Limited and removed the 2nd row center console for easier access for the kids to the 3rd row. I know there is a cover for the mount bracket, but is there a carpet cover as well to go over the exposed bare floor?

Bracket cover is #04572 from ford ($32 at fordparts.com)
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't recall anyone posting about a specifically mag\de carpet for that area but I believe both Husky and WeatherTech have 2nd row liners that cover some or all of that area.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recall anyone posting about a specifically mag\de carpet for that area but I believe both Husky and WeatherTech have 2nd row liners that cover some or all of that area.

Peter
Might have to take a gently used junk floor mat from another vehicle and trim it to size. That could work too. I just remember test driving a Explorer sport and it had a plastic cover for the rear mount bracket, and the rest was carpet. I don't remember if it was a separate piece or if it was part of the entire floor carpet. Maybe someone with a sport trimmed model could snap a picture of theirs for reference. I know the bracket cover is available (part number above), but if there isn't a factory carpet piece available I can narrow my search a little.

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but I purchased the 2nd row console from Levittown and would like to add the small ambient lights as shown in post #70 on page 3 of this thread. Anyone else done this? Know where to get the lights and where to wire them in? Many thanks.

Does anyone know if it's required to remove the factory carpet in order to install an oem factory 2nd row console on a 2016 explorer with bucket seats?

just need to cut a couple squares for each mount point, no need to remove the entire carpet.

Does anyone know if it's required to remove the factory carpet in order to install an oem factory 2nd row console on a 2016 explorer with bucket seats?
Before cutting away any carpeting why not just try cutting a slit in the carpet to allow any mounting hardware to 'poke' through. If that doesn't work the you can always cut out the carpet.
Check out the link in post #2 and post #13 in this thread.

Peter

Yeah that's a good point as that's what I did... I even screwed in the bolt (without the console) to use for reference in my small cuts before cutting too much or in the wrong spot

Hi I'm Jimmy I'm new to this sight, new to Ford and new to trucks, I went from a sports car to mini van and now to the Explorer.

I do have a question, please let me know if this was asked already but on the 2017 Explorer with 2nd row bucket seats there are no arm rests so I installed the 2nd Row console from Ford part number
GB5Z-78045A36-AB, I did not cut the carpet I just made a small hole for the screw to pass through the carpeting, I don't like the way the console sits, its not sitting flush to the carpet, its up about an inch from the carpet, enough so you can get your fingers under there, the back end of the console sits flush, I tried putting my weight on it and it still wont sit flush, could it be the carpeting is too thick or does the console need to modified? any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

I gave up on getting mine flush when I installed it and no issues since.

Hi I'm Jimmy I'm new to this sight, new to Ford and new to trucks, I went from a sports car to mini van and now to the Explorer.

I do have a question, please let me know if this was asked already but on the 2017 Explorer with 2nd row bucket seats there are no arm rests so I installed the 2nd Row console from Ford part number
GB5Z-78045A36-AB, I did not cut the carpet I just made a small hole for the screw to pass through the carpeting, I don't like the way the console sits, its not sitting flush to the carpet, its up about an inch from the carpet, enough so you can get your fingers under there, the back end of the console sits flush, I tried putting my weight on it and it still wont sit flush, could it be the carpeting is too thick or does the console need to modified? any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum Jimmy.:wave:
I've moved your thread to this one on the 2nd row console install. You have the correct console so it is probably due to the carpet since cwescapexlt4x4 has the same issue and I believe also did not cut the carpet.

Peter

I believe there was a thread on here somewhere about installing a 2nd row console in a vehicle with 2nd row buckets that was not ordered with the console option. Anyway I can no longer seem to find this thread. If anybody can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. The only thing I really need off of it is to see if guys are just using two mounting locations or all six.

Thanks.
I know this is an old thread but I just performed this modification. I ordered the console from a Ford dealer on Amazon. Came perfectly packaged from the dealer. All you need to do is remove the plastic cap covering the rear console bracket, save the screws, they are the same as the ones that come with the console. Install the console the bracket with those screws, do not over tighten. Now push down on the front of the console util it comes in contact with the carpet. Stick an awl or drill bit through the front holes to pierce the carpet. The holes you need to use are already drilled and threaded on the vehicle, they are covered with tape under the carpet. Now just screw down the front, you will need a socket with a long extension to get past the seats that are in the way of getting a wrench down there. It took me longer to round up the tools in the garaged than install the console. I did not cut the carpet. looks great and is secure.

Welcome to the Forum Feddeytx.:wave:
Thanks for the post and glad everything went well.

Peter

Any one know why the price for the 2016-2018 is at the $285 price tag and the earlier version is at the $150 price tag?

Part # GB5Z78045A36AB appears to be the right one for the Sport for the Ebony/Black color/leather and the Red stitching.

Double the cost for red stitching? This is for the sport model. Guessing since they likely did not change any tooling from 2016-2017-2018 years that the holes are still there and just need to trim the carpet.

The part number you mentioned seems to be correct. Console, 2nd Row, Sport - Ford (GB5Z-78045A36-AB)
As for the cost, it is $150 if ordered as an option at the time of the vehicle order. Aftermarket is $288.75 at the site that I linked.
As mentioned in previous posts, there is no need to trim the carpet. This would leave the carpeting intact in case you ever wish to remove it.

Peter

Looks like I was in error, the search for the DB5Z-78045A36-AD which is a older version I saw for about $150 from another website. But now looking at it i can't find the site.

Looks like I was in error, the search for the DB5Z-78045A36-AD which is a older version I saw for about $150 from another website. But now looking at it i can't find the site.
That console is for the 2012 to 2015 Explorer so perhaps there was a change made in 2016.

I have a 2017 explorer platinum, and after installing the Ford-recommended 2nd-row console (GB5Z-78045A36-AA) I notice a ~0.75 inch gap at the carpet interface. Others on this thread have pointed this out, and I've read on other sites to that Platinum variants would have the gap. Does anyone have a photo of a factory installed 2nd-row console on a 2017 platinum version? I'm curious if there is a different part number for the front panel of the console that is needed for the platinum. I have also found out from the dealer that to match the top arm rest leather and white stitching that a separate and expensive part (FB5Z-7806024-DA) is needed. Any feedback is appreciated.

I have a 2017 explorer platinum, and after installing the Ford-recommended 2nd-row console (GB5Z-78045A36-AA) I notice a ~0.75 inch gap at the carpet interface. Others on this thread have pointed this out, and I've read on other sites to that Platinum variants would have the gap. Does anyone have a photo of a factory installed 2nd-row console on a 2017 platinum version? I'm curious if there is a different part number for the front panel of the console that is needed for the platinum. I have also found out from the dealer that to match the top arm rest leather and white stitching that a separate and expensive part (FB5Z-7806024-DA) is needed. Any feedback is appreciated.
If ordered as an option with the vehicle the console would only have been $150. Aftermarket the price jumps substantially. I found that out myself when checking it out as mine came off the lot without one. The console you identified seems to be the correct one. I'm not familiar with the extra (top arm rest) piece and it hasn't ever been mentioned here before that I can recall. Unfortunately there is no image of it on the parts site I checked but it is listed as costing $322.17 which is more than the console which shows $288.85.
Armrest Assembly - Console - Ford (FB5Z-7806024-DA) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Peter

Thanks Peter. The ford dealer showed me the description on the armrest part and it simply says arm rest, DX version, white stitching. The Platinum is also called the DX, I have learned. The crazy cost is probably because it's only on the platinum. I can live with the mismatched stitching. Did you also have the gap at the floor on the front of the console?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never bought one. Mine is a lease and I'm the only one in the vehicle unless the dogs need a ride.;) Hopefully another Platinum owner with the console will join in.

Peter

Back