4.0 Crapped out, 4.6 Transplant! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Crapped out, 4.6 Transplant!

Just noticed you are from KCK!

What is your goal with the Explorer? Street or off-road?

Also, don't worry about the driveline because a few guys have pushed +400hp and the only weak point seems to be the transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure the springs I have will be fine for a while. They are thick as hell and no rust. As for the transmission, If I could find one at a junk yard that would be great, but everything here in KC is crap.

Yep been in KCK all of my life. The goal is a mix of both. It will be an everyday driver, but I would also like to play off of the streets now and then. I am looking to make some power, but the budget isn't allowing me to go too crazy, yet.

Sorry I have been away for so long. My truck got put on the back burner due to life complications. But as of tomorrow the truck will be in the garage, and the transplant will begin. 2 weeks is my goal for completion. I miss my baby...

I hope all is well, all the best with the transplant. Take plenty of pics and keep us updated.;)

Ok, finally had a nice day and didn't have to work over time so it was some one on one with my engine. It is now most of the way back together minus the timing chain cover and the valve covers. The ported and polished PI heads are on, new chain tensioners, new PI intake manifold, and upgraded 40Lbs fuel injectors!
I will get back at it tomorrow after some sleep.
Explorer3.jpg

Explorer2.jpg

Explorer4.jpg

Explorer5.jpg

Explorer6.jpg

Explorer7.jpg

Looking great man keep it up

When it's all together and running good, let's take them to the track...:D

I'm in! Gonna have to run a second set of tires though. Don't wanna destroy my knobbies.

The 4.0 definitely had a major failure. 5 out of the 6 intake ports on the cylinder heads are fried, and a nice pool of anti freeze in between them on the block...

Explorer3-1.jpg

Explorer2-1.jpg

Those are 30lb injectors. Just bought the same ones for my 99 Mustang.

It has been a pain to say the least. I now know why no one else has done this swap. It has been a battle so far. All of the pieces that I have had to collect has been ridiculous. Everything is different. Not to mention that people destroy wiring harnesses because it is easier when pulling parts. I am rebuilding wiring harnesses right now. Good news is that I have the custom motor mounds made and welded in, the engine is all together, the right 5r55w transmission now instead of the 4r70w. Running 2 computers was going to be to much of a hassle. Ordered the correct computer off of E-bay. Unfortunately I will only be running two wheel drive since every one here wants $800 for a 4x4 transmission. But aside from that everything is almost done. Just a little more soldering, and then start attaching reattaching things.

Do you know if those PI heads would be an exact fitment for the 3rd gen 4.6l? I see a couple of em on ebay

They are an exact fit. You have a 4.6 after 2001 they already have the PI heads and cams.

Just be sure to check and see if you have a Romeo or Windsor block. The bolt patterns are different.

Alright guys. I know it has been quite a while since I last posted, but today is a day of good news. I believe my transplant has been successful! Far too long to complete due to time restrictions, but it is a success. I fired the engine in the truck using its own power on Saturday afternoon.

From here on out, it is reassembly of the cooling system, AC, power steering, drive shaft, and some exhaust. Exhaust is not really needed, but I don't think the neighbors will appreciate me starting up what sounds like a top fuel drag car every morning.

I will post some pictures of the progress here shortly! If any one
has any comments, questions, or knows of any one else on this path, send them my way!

Good work. I did a fuel tank transplant on mine (it was converted to run dedicated LPG, and I switched it back to run on petrol) - always a good thing to get it to fire up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the EX is all back together, minus AC (late enough in the year that I can worry about it later). I took it out and drove it after the exhaust was finished, fuel lines tucked, and everything else all buttoned up.

Unfortunately I am having a bit of an issue with the PCM. The PCM I have is out of an Eddie Bauer Explorer that had the IVD system in it. The truck is not set up for it. It goes in to a semi limp mode when you stomp on the gas. It is looking for sensors that aren't there, so it throttles back. It is driveable, just not above 45 and has every light possible flashing. Just a minor set back. Currently looking for a new PCM. Not all that easy when Ford doesn't even know what part number goes with each PCM.

Even with the set back it has been a successful swap. But if anyone knows some one with a 2004-2005 Explorer 2wd with out IVD I could use their VIN# to locate a PCM faster.

I couldn't have ever done it with out the help of Matthew and Dave from Done With Care Auto Repair in Mirriam Kansas! Thanks a bunch guys!

Back