Wanting to get rid of the chipped key, see post | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanting to get rid of the chipped key, see post

I've driven without a security issue since 1955, and sure didn't need this high-fallutin' bullsh!t! imp
Until someone starts your car with a screwdriver, and it ends in a chop shop in Mexico...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I understand the below link (assuming it's correct) the transponder key code verification takes place in the PCM alone. The PATS module is just a dumb buss that receives the signal from the transceiver ring and passes it to the PCM, which then either allows the engine to start or not (by turning on the fuel injectors). If two coded keys are placed in close proximity to the transceiver ring at the same time, and only one has a code the PCM is programmed to accept, who knows which code the PCM will receive and act on? Maybe the PCM would ignore the non-programmed key IDK. That's my point. Maybe by virtue of the programmed chip remaining near the transceiver ring permanently PATS is already defeated and the non-programmed key is not even read.

Considering what the OP is trying to accomplish (get around PATS to allow remote starting of his vehicle) if he attaches/glues his working RF key's chip near the transponder and then uses a non-RF key when necessary to start his vehicle when he wants to use a key, rather than his remote start, he should no issues. What's the point of using a non-programmed RF key when PATS has already been defeated? The OP seems to be hung-up on using a non-programmed RF key for this purpose. It would not be necessary.

As far as whether defeating PATS is a good idea or not, that's up to the OP to decide. Would he rather have PATS or remote start? There are apparently 3 ways (that I'm aware of ) to achieve this, but the result is the same. In any event I'm done with this discussion as anything else said is just speculation, and is frankly giving me a headache.

Posted by @fixxxer in 2009:
Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Until someone starts your car with a screwdriver, and it ends in a chop shop in Mexico...
@1998Exp
You make a good point. I should have added that I can come up with many ways to achieve what PATS does with a whole lot more simplicity and a whole lot less headache, when PATS fails. imp

What would be the correct key to buy from ebay for a 2002 Sport? I see 40 bit & 80 bit & different numbers.

Thanks

What would be the correct key to buy from ebay for a 2002 Sport? I see 40 bit & 80 bit & different numbers.

Thanks
It's a 40 bit key, AFAIK that would be an H84.

Back