I Drive By Brail
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Bronco '80 Toy
Had a great time this weekend. Met up with Brian1 and 410Fortune(Jamie) on Saturday. Started the day running Tin Cup Pass then ran Waunita & Black Sage Pass over to Old Monarch Pass to complete the circle. Sunday Jamie had to head back to Denver so Brian and I ran Mt. Antero and Mt. Princeton. Weather was perfect and the views were Awesome. It was a nice relaxing weekend and the only problems were a radius arm bolt on Brian's X that was backing off and a weld that broke on my front bumper bracket.

IMGP0672-vi.jpg

Group photo on top of Tin Cup Pass

IMGP0681-vi.jpg

We met up with a fellow ExplorerForum member from Florida (I don't remember his name though)
Here's the rest of my pics: http://public.fotki.com/mrboyle/explorer_4x4_trips/colorado_labor_day_2006/

Oh yea, I almost forgot to mention, I hit a deer on the trip home! Didn't do much damage but I bet that deer is one sore sob! I'll get some pics of the damage tomarrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You hit a Deer? Oh my!
At least it wasn't a cow!!

VERY RARE Sure Footed Colorado Mountain Cow!!:
CMC.jpg

Before we headed home on Sun we got some fishing in, I did not catch anything but fishing at 13.500' feet was good enough for me!! I needed worms or my fly rod and waders :)

Thanks for the invite we had a great time, made it home safe no issues. I will post pics later...
Let's do it again soon!

I want to run Iron Chest and some of the more difficult trails up there but not alone!
We went up to Poncha lake (I think was the name) and the trail to it awesome( only one semi tough section, good when wheeling alone).

Amber, my photochopped girl friend:
ambs1.jpg

Tin Cup Summit:
tincup1.jpg

Lake at 13,500 and this is the LOWER lake:
lake1.jpg

mine2.jpg

tire.jpg

Aspens are starting to change
mountain.jpg

Your pics brought back some great memories. I can't wait to get back up there:chug:

Rick there are some 9 and 10 rated trails up there I would like to attempt.
Carnage Canyon is a relatively new trail I have been told, and Iron Chest sounds fun, as well as many others. :)

Colorado Colors run 07?

I had a good time too. I will post pics later this week when I get some time.

Sunday night after Mike and I finished the trail I headded up to Breckenridge to eat and for a nice scenic drive. On the way back there was a large traffic jam on the pass because a horse got loose and was weaving in and out of cars. It was finally caught a few cars ahead of me. Coming back I passed several trail heads that would have taken me over to Leadville like Mosquito pass, I was sure tempted but being by myself and dark outside I stuck to the highway.

Iron Chest is a fun trail, Mike and I had the opportunity to do it about 2 years ago in our Explorers.

I did see a few deer as well but I didnt hit any! Sorry to hear that Mike but it sounds like it didnt do too much damage.

This weekend was so fun! Thanks again Brian & Mike for the invite :) I'm definitely looking forward to wheelin' again very soon. Jamie said he would let me drive next time.

Amber and Jamie, I am glad you could make it out but you missed some nice trails on Sunday! Looks like you had a good time also, that lake and those mine ruins look cool.

My pics: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Brian4x4/Salida CO Sept06/ (I have full res. of these if wanted)

Highlights:
Old Monarch Pass
oldmonarchpass.jpg

Heading up to Mt Antero, rated difficult in the book
mtantero1.jpg

Coming back down the Mt Antero switchbacks
viewfrommtantero.jpg

Top of Mt Princeton
mtprinceton.jpg

View from the top of Mt Princeton
viewfrommtprinceton2.jpg

awesome!

Tin Cup was also rated difficult hahahaha I was like WTF? my parents driveway has more obstacles. the jeep tour guy I talked to said Tin Cup was about as difficult trail as I would find....um no.
The lake we went to Sunday was 5x's more challenging then Tin Cup, but still a stock ranger could have made it.

Thanks for showing me the area though for sure, it was great to see you guys again and to meet your folks. :) I am going to do Holy Cross, Iron Chest and maybe attempt Carnage Canyon in 07 if I can build my truck enough before they close that sucker down....

Better look at running carnage canyon soon, the FS is closing it. :( :( Looks like it was fun, maybe next time I won't have plans and will beable to make it. Maybe I'll organize something for next year.

depends on where I am living/working
Tim

Back