Long term V8 platform reliability? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long term V8 platform reliability?

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
Looked at a 08 Limited v8 with 201K. Rides very nice, has service history. Looks like it has maybe 50K on it. Anyone have one for the long haul? Price in the mid 3k's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 06 EB with v8 and 257 k miles so same thing like 08 Limited.
I am still on original tranny, replaced the motor at 200k only because 2 shops misdiagnosed a bad torque converter with bad engine so I installed a new used engine and pulled the one with 200k miles out and it was still pulling like a locomotive. I still have it in my garage in case I need to replace the "new" one at some point. With proper maintenance and if you can fix things yourself, you can run them forever.

Have you reviewed the service history? What has been done so far? There are issues - I would think by 200K most of them have hit already.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a clean 09-10 V8 Eddie... i don’t care how many miles it has if the price is right!

Have you reviewed the service history? What has been done so far? There are issues - I would think by 200K most of them have hit already.
5K ocis, tune up, tires/rotations, 2 PCM flashes. Don't see any trans service, so I guess a pan drop would be the first thing. I think it has a 150K OCI?

Its all Black, not my favorite, but seems very well kept. Looks very sharp though. The V8s seem rare, the dealer said many hold on to them and run them into the ground after high mileage. He said with the IRS and towing capacity (has the hitch, says 7500 lbs) you won't find anything like it.

Has rear DVD. There is a white v8 05 limited around but I'm going to pass on that. Less miles but those have the crap trans.

Actually there just weren't that many V8s produced to begin with. I have no statistics to back that up other than personal experience. I bought my 2007 in 2008 - even then a V8 was rare while V6s were all over the place. I kept looking for a few years and saw the same thing.
As Explorer_PL said - as long as you can fix things yourself you are good to go. I will give you this though - I don't know how common this is but it almost gave me a big repair bill. This is on a 100K engine that was well taken care of and I'm still watching it closely. In fact, not long after this someone posted the same problem with basically a trashed cam.

Another noise thread..

Actually there just weren't that many V8s produced to begin with. I have no statistics to back that up other than personal experience. I bought my 2007 in 2008 - even then a V8 was rare while V6s were all over the place. I kept looking for a few years and saw the same thing.
As Explorer_PL said - as long as you can fix things yourself you are good to go. I will give you this though - I don't know how common this is but it almost gave me a big repair bill. This is on a 100K engine that was well taken care of and I'm still watching it closely. In fact, not long after this someone posted the same problem with basically a trashed cam.

Another noise thread..
Guess that could happen with any engine.....one modular engine I had broke a spring.

Also has the same problem with the cam phasers on the F150s

Don't know if you bought it, but I'll chime in. I have a 2010 with 130k on it, absolutely rock solid. Only problem were front wheel bearings went bad, but these models are notorious for that.

Just bought an 06 EB 4.0L 4x4 and seems to be a good running machine...I think the vehicle was a tow along behind an RV but nevertheless seems to run awesome !!! :)

2010 Limited V8 with 162K miles and rock solid. Starts in -22F, runs smooth as glass. Tows my boat and snowmobiles with ease. The auto HVAC is a piece of crap though.

If you include Mountaineers, the V8 take rate would go up. To original poster, $3500 for something like that with service records seems like a good gamble.

Make sure you start it while it's cold (open hood, make sure engine is cold to touch). That's the only time you will hear the "tick-tick-tick" indicating broken exhaust manifold studs. My '06 has had this since we bought it in '09, and it hasn't been a problem, nor gotten worse. Just annoying. But if present, you might talk them down more.

Back