Could anybody recommend a car lift? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could anybody recommend a car lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..........I like the fact that it has a caster kit that allows the lift to be relocated when needed by simply snapping the casters in place and lowering the lift, which will raise the entire assembly onto the casters allowing it to be rolled by one person.
They quoted me $2800 complete, delivered and installed.

The casters work similarly on the Apex I'm considering. Only wish more detailed structural and design info were available before buying one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The thing that concerns me is that they are for "parking". Any lift not bolted down would not be secure enough to pull the transmission out of it or exerting lateral forces while working on the vehicle. You also can't service suspension on a drive on lift either.

The thing that concerns me is that they are for "parking". Any lift not bolted down would not be secure enough to pull the transmission out of it or exerting lateral forces while working on the vehicle. You also can't service suspension on a drive on lift either.
@boominXplorer
I see it a little differently. First, much of the suspension work doesn't require actually being under the vehicle, and that which does, maybe inner A-arm bushings, etc, no reason why the corner being worked on cannot be separately jacked up, wheel removed while vehicle on lift.

They all mention that their lifts can tend to "scoot" a bit. 4 drilled holes in the concrete floor, say 2" deep, at right angles to 2 catty-corner posts, could have 1/2" X 5" or so studs stuck in them, eliminating the scoot. I would prefer to avoid anchoring. Maybe I'm "all wet"? I see the driveline work as a straight shot along the center axis of the vehicle, rear wheel drive of course. A high transmission jack and adjustable high support stands are in the works. Can't imagine two guys trying to lift a 5R55S up and back into place by hand, while a third catches a few bolts.

I agree, I’d pin it to the floor on opposite corners, and be comfortable with it.

I agree, I’d pin it to the floor on opposite corners, and be comfortable with it.
Maybe try a blob of RTV under each foot too, see how that holds(it'd be in shear).

I like those also. being able to move it would be great for a garage with the room(tall ceiling). Mine is a normal length with a normal height door, so I'd have to install a much taller door to use the stacking kind of lifts. My house would look very odd then, with a 10' door, which is already at the front of my house closest to the road. Maybe my next house.
My door remains at 7 foot height, the electric opener remains in it's former position, and the "hole" allowing the raising upwards of a vehicle begins just beyond that.

Maybe try a blob of RTV under each foot too, see how that holds(it'd be in shear).
@CDW6212R
I gather you mean a pre-cured blob before setting the posts vertical? IOW, not "gluining the lift to the floor. Good idea! My wife's microwave/convection oven has a big, metal (??) turntable in it, which when metal-footed racks are placed on it, allows the feet to slide off into the outside groove. I placed a daub of RTV on the feet, let it cure up, and they stay put!

Back