• Register Today It's free!

5th gen key wont work, wont start

banxwondar

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
2013 Sport recently having problems with the key and starting the car. At first it was an intermittent deal so I replaced the battery in the key which didn't change anything. The keys wont even unlock and lock the door.This morning I go to start the car, and nothing. Says "no key detected." I tried both keys and nothing. Anyone else have this issue? Would cold weather have anything to do with it? We live in the Bay Area so i know our cold his like summer for some of you lol, by cold I mean 40 degrees F. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any car chargers or aftermarket things plugged into your cigarette port or A.C. port?

It is supposed to go to 48 F way up here today. Currently it has been raining all morning. Cold weather should not have any impact on your issue. Are you by chance carrying a cell phone or similar device in the same pocket as the key fob? Those item can at times cause issues if in close proximity.

Peter

Not the same pocket, but its on me. I have also been keeping my keys in a tin box at night to prevent any thieves using a transmitter

Tin Box??? Whaaa?
Vehicles with key less start are being stolen by thieves using apps that can copy/clone the key program, even in the house if not too far away and being able to enter and steal the vehicle. Laugh as much as you want but my wife works for the police and they recommend that the key less devices be kept enclosed in metal wrapping or more than 10 feet into the house to interfere with trying to read and clone your key less device. Never leave one in your locked vehicle, those are the easiest ones stolen this way.

Whimsey

Vehicles with key less start are being stolen by thieves using apps that can copy/clone the key program, even in the house if not too far away and being able to enter and steal the vehicle. Laugh as much as you want but my wife works for the police and they recommend that the key less devices be kept enclosed in metal wrapping or more than 10 feet into the house to interfere with trying to read and clone your key less device. Never leave one in your locked vehicle, those are the easiest ones stolen this way.

Whimsey
Not laughing here. It seems this is a growing problem. Did some research. Don't laugh at the tin foil hats!

Back