Push To Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Push To Start

ExploreThis2012

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited
As with all the Limited versions you start the Explorer with the Push To Start button. As far as I can tell, there is no way to start the car with the key that is contained in the remote start key fob, although you could unlock the car, or use the touch pad.

With my old Trailblazer it used a normal key. I had a hide a key on the vehicle which came in handy one time when I lost my key at the beach.

So even if I had the key portion hidden on the car, I could not start it.

I would like to hide an extra key fob hidden on the vehicle in case I lost the original key fob but have concerns that since the key would be in close proximity it might be close enough to trigger the opening and starting of the vehicle.

1. I want to confirm that there is no hidden key start on the vehicle??
2. Can I remove the battery from a extra hidden key fob, and if so, would it be able to be used at a later date once the battery is re-inserted into the fob?

If I lost the key, I don't want to get stuck somewhere and have to wait for a Ford dealer to make me a new key based on my key code. If it were a Friday night, I would have to leave the car sit all weekend until I got a new key made. Ford Roadside assistance says it provides lock out assistance but does not say anything about vehicle starting assistance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm working on hiding a key somewhere on my LTD. I've tried putting the key under the hood, in various places inside, and the car "reads" the signal everywhere I've tried. I have a pistol safe installed that I am going to line the lid with lead foil (or Kryptonite), and that should suppress the signal. I''l keep you posted. I used to keep a regular key in my '02 and got in by using the Keypad.

I believe I have solved my potential lost key fob issue.
If you leave the extra key fob in the car, it disarms itself after about 30 seconds. So if you hide the key in the vehicle it is of no use if a thief were to break in, as long as the perp does not find the hidden key. if, in the event, of a lost key, you unlock the car via the keypad and press the unlock on the hidden key fob and you are good to go.
I have tried several combinations with windows down and trying to start the car and it seems to solve the lost key issue.

I believe I have solved my potential lost key fob issue.
If you leave the extra key fob in the car, it disarms itself after about 30 seconds. So if you hide the key in the vehicle it is of no use if a thief were to break in, as long as the perp does not find the hidden key. if, in the event, of a lost key, you unlock the car via the keypad and press the unlock on the hidden key fob and you are good to go.
If the 'perp' found the keyfob and was lucky enough to hit the Unlock button, the key would activate itself and bye, bye Explorer, hello insurance company.

Thanks for the link, I read through it and I understand. If you do leave the key, it does deactivate, but if the theif hits the unlock button, it reactivates the key.
However, this does not answer my original questions. What if I do not leave the key in the car and being forgetful, I lose the key fob. Stupid is and stupid does, but it does happen.
I guess you would be out of luck. There is no way to start it without the proximity of the fob. You would have to get another one and have it programmed.

If the 'perp' found the keyfob and was lucky enough to hit the Unlock button, the key would activate itself and bye, bye Explorer, hello insurance company.

Correct as with any key hidden on a vehicle. But I am going to hide it somewhere no one would look. I'm thinking of putting it inside the catalytic converter :D

There is a hidden key slot in the front inside of the console. I think you have to use that for the initial programming of the keys and car. I really don't know what other purpose it serves. I haven't used it in over 6 months of ownership.

There is a hidden key slot in the front inside of the console. I think you have to use that for the initial programming of the keys and car. I really don't know what other purpose it serves. I haven't used it in over 6 months of ownership.
As per the manual, that slot is for a back up method to start your Explorer when the battery in your IA keyfob is low. Place fob in slot with buttons facing out and key ring end up. Start as usual.
This covered in the Driving section under Push button start system (if equipped).

Peter

Has anyone actually seen this "Hidden slot in the console" for starting in an emergency? I have a 2016 xlt explorer. Spent an hour yesterday searching to no avail.

Has anyone actually seen this "Hidden slot in the console" for starting in an emergency? I have a 2016 xlt explorer. Spent an hour yesterday searching to no avail.
Have you checked out page 165 of your Owner's Manual?

Peter

You spent an hour staring inside your console? :banghead:

The way I did this was to insulate the battery with a piece of very thin plastic, then when you have to use it, open the FOB, remove the plastic and you are ready to go. The metal key is hidden in an awkward place to reach in the rear. Never put it in a place that is going to get hot, and under the hood is a place you can't get to until you unlock the car. I bought a third FOB on ebay and programmed it. Lots cheaper than a locksmith and/or a tow. There are many places inside the vehicle to hide the FOB. Carpet slits are everywhere. Other spots too. I'm not giving up my spot! Even strapping it up under a seat is acceptable. Just don't forget where YOU put it. If it takes you a couple of hours to find a good place, then more than likely no one else will find it readily.

The way I did this was to insulate the battery with a piece of very thin plastic, then when you have to use it, open the FOB, remove the plastic and you are ready to go.
Did you removed the dielectric grease that was on the battery? If so, are you aware that the manual says not to remove it?
Note: Do not wipe off any grease on the battery terminals or on the
back surface of the circuit board

Peter

Ha, I had no idea that the "hidden" slot in the center console was anything special. I just slip the key fob in there almost every time I get in the vehicle, simply because it's an awful convenient spot to keep the keys.

Back