Rear wheel hub assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear wheel hub assembly

Brandon lester

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
Does anyone know if the hub assembly is press in? I was told that its pressed in but i dont think it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheel hub assembly is one unit with the bearing being part of it, one unit. It has 4 bolts that attach it to the 'knuckle'. You have to separate the halfshaft from the the hub assembly with an axle puller (this is the 'pressed in' part I believe you are referring to) or bust it loose with a hammer with the axle nut on the end of the half shaft to prevent damage to the end of the halfshaft. You shouldn't have to hit it too hard to get it loose so, be careful, you don't want to damage the halfshaft . Use the axle puller if you haven't 'busted one loose' before. If you are replacing the bearing, you replace the hub and bearing as they are one unit as I said before.

Does anyone know if the hub assembly is press in? I was told that its pressed in but i dont think it is.
Welcome to the Forum Brandon.:wave:
I hope MikB was able to provide the info you were looking for.

Peter

The wheel hub assembly is one unit with the bearing being part of it, one unit. It has 4 bolts that attach it to the 'knuckle'. You have to separate the halfshaft from the the hub assembly with an axle puller (this is the 'pressed in' part I believe you are referring to) or bust it loose with a hammer with the axle nut on the end of the half shaft to prevent damage to the end of the halfshaft. You shouldn't have to hit it too hard to get it loose so, be careful, you don't want to damage the halfshaft . Use the axle puller if you haven't 'busted one loose' before. If you are replacing the bearing, you replace the hub and bearing as they are one unit as I said before.

Welcome to the Forum Brandon.:wave:
I hope MikB was able to provide the info you were looking for.

Peter

Yes, thank you. I have done a few hub assembly and never had this much trouble with removal.

I have a 2014 explorer XLT and had a right rear bearing go out. Was still under power train warranty. Dealership had to replace hub (bearing) and knuckle assembly. Now 15000 miles later right rear tire is wearing on the outter half like an alignment issue. Wondering if they should have done an alignment if they replaced the knuckle?

I have a 2014 explorer XLT and had a right rear bearing go out. Was still under power train warranty. Dealership had to replace hub (bearing) and knuckle assembly. Now 15000 miles later right rear tire is wearing on the outter half like an alignment issue. Wondering if they should have done an alignment if they replaced the knuckle?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure what it all entails but any time work is done on a wheel I think an alignment should be done just as a precaution. If you've never had a 4 wheel alignment done on the vehicle it sure wouldn't hurt to have it done.

Peter

I have everything apart and I just can't separate the wheel hub. A couple of hours hitting with a full sized sledge hammer and deep creep is there any tricks? Or are these press in or out wheel hubs?

Has anyone removed the wheel bearings on these fifth gen explorers? Mine only has 43,000 miles and the roar is awful. Ford is not collecting $600 off of me on this. Annoyed!

Has anyone removed the wheel bearings on these fifth gen explorers? Mine only has 43,000 miles and the roar is awful. Ford is not collecting $600 off of me on this. Annoyed!
I have merged your thread with this one in the hopes that it might provide some useful info. Using the 'Search' feature I found several thread on bearing issues but none that seemed to cover its DIY removal.

Peter

Im trying to replace the right rear wheel bearing hub on my 2015 Explorer Limited.
I have all 4 bolts out but that thing won't come out. It wont budge.
Is there a trick or s certain way of getting it out? Im going to get a slide hammer after work and see if that will do it.
Any advice would be great.

I just had one replaced under extended warranty at the dealer, they told me that it took longer than expected because it wouldn't come out, they said it took 2 mechanics, good luck.

Im trying to replace the right rear wheel bearing hub on my 2015 Explorer Limited.
Is there a trick or s certain way of getting it out? Im going to get a slide hammer after work and see if that will do it.
Just wanted to say, "Welcome to the Forum".:wave:

Peter

just wondering how you got yours out. I'm having the same issue and wondering if it's pressed in?

Wheel bearing shouldn't be pressed in, but you probably have corrosion that is preventing the hub from separating from the knuckle. I have used either a slide hammer, air chisel, and/or a puller to remove stubborn wheel bearings.

You may want to pick up some corrosion-protective paste to apply to the hub and knuckle that should help when it comes time to do the next replacement...

just wondering how you got yours out. I'm having the same issue and wondering if it's pressed in?
I took the spindle off, put it up on the bench and beat the hell out of it with a 2 lb hammer. Had it out in 3 min that way.
I put the new one in the deep freeze for a couple days, lathered it up with anti seize and it fell right in

20180521_091705.jpg
i stood it up on the bench, held it with one hand and gave that bearing quite the beating until my hand and arm hurt. Just dont hit the aluminum spindle

Hey all,
Just wanted to post that I replaced my passenger front and drivers rear hub yesterday for under $200!!!! Did it myself....I’m not gonna lie the old hubs were a bear to get off but stick with it and they will come. All the videos are accurate you just need to keep whacking at it.

Kenny

I had a similar issue . I cut 2 studs across from each other out , inserted a 1/2 x3 inch bolt , threaded a nut till it was flush with the hub used it as a jack bolt. It's important to use a small piece of metal or washer behind the bolt so you don't damage the aluminum spindle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Frank.:wave:

Peter

Back