Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

More 5R55W problems

I'm glad it worked for you too. I bet your feeling how I did last Thursday when I filled mine and it worked! I've driven mine about 200 miles and it hasnt missed a shift yet! How did your fluid look. I'm going to pull the plug on mine and refill it again to get some more fresh fluid in. The old...
  2. 9

Lost Compression on one side of 4.0 sohc

Unfortunatly Streetrod is correct about the timing chains and these engines. I would be suprised if it hadent been making noise for some time. But the unfortunate design of these engines is prone to tensioner failure. It could be something as simple one of the chain sprockets slipped on a shaft...
  3. 9

2003 mountaineer tranny issues

I tend to agree with the comments that others had posted on the youtube video about the torque converter failing. I did have a flex plate on a 4 cyl chrysler that cracked around the crank shaft bolts that sounded very much like the video. Either way you should get it repaired as soon as...
  4. 9

More 5R55W problems

Update. So after a bunch of hours of research on this transmission problem, I decided to put it up on the jackstands and pull the plug to check the fluid level. Once up on stands, I started it back up, ran it through the gears, and held the brake a few seconds in low and then again in reverse...
  5. 9

Help w/ Timing! Only 60psi Compression (Pics Inside)

I know some people say they can set the chains without the tools, but I never seen anyone whos done it. If you didn't use the correct tools, you have no way to be certain the cams are times properly to the crank. If you have the cams advanced as little as 12-15 deg on some engines will cause low...
  6. 9

More 5R55W problems

I recently was given a 02 Mountaineer with the 4.0 and of course AWD. 98,000 mles on it. My plan is to fix this thing up and sell it. Being unemployed currently it was my mothers way of helping out. Anyhow, the biggest issue it has is the transmission. when started it will sometimes go into...
  7. 9

More Transfer Case Questions

I was just looking a car-parts.com for a replacement t-case for my explorer, I see they list 4 different tag numbers for a 99 with a v6. what are the differences? Just curious about interchangability.
  8. 9

Transfer case issue

I have an issue with my 99 explorer, I purchased the truck with a little over 60K on it, and even then it had a slight vibration when accelerating that I alwayse thought was a "dry" u-joint. Well now it has over 140K on it and this past summer I replaced the motor with a 05 ranger unit. Now...
  9. 9

how to diagnose bad wheel bearing/bad cv axle -- 98 AWD

I use it for all my parts,, LOL Its the best thing since sliced bread!
  10. 9

how to diagnose bad wheel bearing/bad cv axle -- 98 AWD

my 99 has a bad wheel bearing in it currently, it acts just like a front wheel drive wheel bearing failure, it grumbles going straight down the road, and at 30 or so MPH if I sweve to the left or right(like a curve in the road, enough to transferre some weight) it will go away in one direction...
  11. 9

Harmonic Balancer problem?

yea, I know, I'll have to check with my local ford dealer to see if they have one, I only get an hour or two a night to work on this thing as the bossman has me for 10+ hours a day now for the next couple weeks,, I may just have to call in sick! ;)
  12. 9

that's a nice piece of hardware, but I doubt I'd ever save enough gas to justify the price, I really only use this the explorer to haul stuff and very occasionaly pull a 2500# boat. It has plenty of power with the 3.73 gears to do both.
  13. 9

well looking at it, the pully potion is not "centered" for lack of a better term. the rubber is thicker on one half than the other. so I'm thinking the pully may be acting similar to a wheel weight, but as I peer over to the old motor, I set it in that same wooden crate on the balancer:rolleyes...
  14. 9

Well I have the one off my 99 engine, and as I'm thinking about it, when I picked up the new engine it was sitting in a wooden "box" that the salvage yard used to store the engine on a pallet, I don't remember if the motor was sitting on the front cross board on the balancer or not, I know the...
  15. 9

it happens more with engine load, but I can feel some vibration in park/ nuetral,, I want to say 2000-2500 and up, but It feels fine if I "floor it" at least I don't notice the vibration
  16. 9

did you by chance try the engine without the balance shaft installed? I've read on here that some can tell the difference. some can't,, If it's that small of a vibration, I'm not going to sweat it.
  17. 9

this is a pretty severe vibration, i actually have the torque converter bolts loosened currently thinking I may have bent the flex plate during the engine install. I think I may just tighten them back up, put the staqrted back in, and change the harmonic balancer. I'm debating pulling the tranny...
  18. 9

hi there

Yes, I missed the S! LOL oh well, it was late when I typed it up?
  19. 9

:(I just installed an '06 ranger motor in my 99explorer. Now I have a vibration that shakes the interior moderatly when I accelerate through the gears. I noticed that the pully on the harmonic balancer is not true, like the rubber has been compressed on one side and not the other, has anyone...
  20. 9

engine swap issues

Hey There! Here's my story, I have a 99 explorer with the sohc that has 136k, of course the chains were starting to rattle pretty loudly so I found a 06 sohc out of a ranger with 43k on it. after fighting to get the swap completed the moment of truth arrived and when I turned the key I had a...
  21. 9

Oil pan needed for '99 SOHC

I may have whay you need. I just swapped out my 99 sohc for a 06 sohc, I still have the old engne in the garage and I don't remember the ol pan being rusty. It's sitting on an engine crate now, but when I get around to picking it up I can pull the pan for you and check it out, I may not get to...
  22. 9

hi there

I just wanted to introduce myself, My name is Matt and im from minnesota. my exp is a 99 XLT with the SOHC engine. I also have family with a 02 mounty with the same SOHC engine. I have brosed this site for a couple of years and thought to myself why havent I joined yet! Anyhow, I'm a trained...
Back