Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

2005 Ford Explorer O/D comes on

If both your OD light and the Check Transmission lights are coming on, "something" is not right with your transmission. On your next drive, watch your RPM's and feel the shifting, you will should view/sense shifts to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and torque converter lockup. When everything is shifting...
  2. L

2005 Ford Explorer O/D comes on

Alex, a lot has already been said on this site about the early symptoms you are experiencing with your transmission and the different paths that journey might take you. Recommend you read the thread I've pasted below to get you started on this potentially difficult journey. Make yourself a...
  3. L

Ford 5r55s transmission problems, possible solenoid block?

Go with the better warranty - I put about 40K miles a years on my Ex, so the 3 yr, 100K would be my choice. But if you don't exceed 12K per year, then research thoroughly the details of each company's rebuild process!! I actually called the Customer Service for the two choices I had here in...
  4. L

Thermostat Temperature Differences

Picked up a thermostat for my 2005 4 liter non-flex a couple weeks ago at Advance Auto...had to replace the thermostat lower housing and associated gaskets, decided might as well replace the thermostat while in there. When I went to drop the new thermostat into its location, I discovered that...
  5. L

OD "On" versus OD "Off" for 5R55S

Since 2nd and OD both use the same Servo and Band, could I extend the life of these two parts by turning off my OD when doing city driving? Thereby eliminating the double-duty this band and servo experiences? BTW, I've got a nicely rebuilt tranny with the updated servos sleeves. Thanks...
  6. L

Yeah, I had all the same symptoms...including nasty, burnt fluid. Looking back, I guess I had a BIG indicator that I didn't understand at the time. I had the usual powder-like particles clinging to the pan magnet, but something suggested that I filter the fluid that I had drained. I found a...
  7. L

I replaced both the OD and IM Servos with the o-ring fix...still broken. I replaced the Solenoid Block...still broken. Invested $585 in parts and labor that I should have given the ATRA Tranny guy!! I think my subtle symptom difference was the dramatic CLUNK during the downshift from...
  8. L

Been there, same symptoms...not an easy fix. Check out this thread...it might help. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341593 Michael
  9. L

Solenoid Block versus Servo Bore Problem - 2005 w/5R55S Tranny

Yeah, the rebuild technician showed me a box of parts that they use for every 5R55W/S rebuild. Two of the parts were clearly the brass bore sleeves that your link shows. He also talked about his technique when drilling out the bore. Instead of drilling the new hole with a single bit, he uses...
  10. L

"Bad" Solenoid Block Resistance Readings - 55R5S

SyberTiger, not this one is scarey to me. It does describe the importance of functioning Pressure Control Solenoids A-B-C. It was the long list of other important components that could be the cause of my transmission difficulties that was so frightening. Maybe vacuum-based trannies of old...
  11. L

"Bad" Solenoid Block Resistance Readings - 55R5S

SyberTiger, I used one of the links provided by BrooklynBay to a service manual site. It's quite good and in the absence of the FORD Service Manual CDs, it works for me. I'll post a couple items that were helpful to me in understanding how this transmission works. Here's the first one...
  12. L

Ditto on the taking time to share final outcomes with this forum. I get so much help from the folks here, I feel an obligation to share what I discover during this journey with my Explorer. My college background is science and I crave knowledge about how things work. My son-in-law said to...
  13. L

Diagnosis...finally!! Well, my tranny troubles have concluded...for a mere $2500. I picked up my Ex with a freshly rebuilt transmission. It's shifting very nicely now. In fact, it shifts better than when I bought it with 39K miles on the odo. He did disassemble my sick tranny so I could...
  14. L

Yes, he has one already rebuilt sitting on his shelf. His guys rebuild one to two of these per week to keep up with demand. That's the only way he can install a rebuilt tranny in a single day. Yes, he agreed to diagnose my broken one so I can share (including pics) with the folks here. He...
  15. L

Update... Yeah, I'm perplexed about what my real problem is with this tranny. I HAVE to have a dependable ride as I run between northern Jersey and Richmond, VA. I was leaning strongly towards buying a rebuilt from Drive Power in Georgia and having my trusted shop install it. But, my...
  16. L

What now??? STATUS: 1. Servo Bore o-ring fix installed 2. New solenoid block installed 3. New filter and 6 quarts MERCON V Still getting the P0775 (Pressure Control Solenoid B) error code. Won't shift into 2nd or 5th. Blinking OD light, SES lit. When I drained the tranny fluid...
  17. L

Solenoid Pack Resistance Values Couldn't get a good read thru the PCM Connector, so decided to drop the pan and take the sucker out!! OLD Solenoid Pack: Shift Solenoid A = 24.7 SS B = 23.7 SS C = 24.5 SS D = 24.9 Pressure Control A = 4.7 PC B = 4.8 PC C = 4.7 NEW Solenoid Pack...
  18. L

My local (Richmond, VA) Advance Auto and NAPA carry the Moveras tranny. Don't quiz the folks there, they know NOTHING about the rebuild process. GOOGLE Moveras and contact them directly in New Hampshire. My local Autozone carries the Drive Power rebuilt. If I remember, it's $1800 delivered...
  19. L

hobbitak, thanks for scanning the soldenoid diagrams and resistance charts. The only problem is my PCM 175B connector doesn't look anything like those diagrams. I've got a 2005 Explorer 5R55S tranny. I just took the pic below this morning...
  20. L

No, I haven't replaced the solenoid block yet. Most of my research suggested that I had a better chance of success if I replaced the OD and IM Servos instead of the solenoid block. Well, you took the Solenoid Block approach and we both continue to have the problem. I suppose I should have...
  21. L

hobbitak, thanks, but I don't see anything but your words. No pics or links.
  22. L

5R55S OD Band - Short Question

Can't confirm that the OD band is broken until I get it home in a couple weeks and try the "band tightening" procedure before I replace the solenoid pack. BUT, I believe it's not broken because I still get 2nd gear if I let off on the pedal and force a shift to 2nd. I am certain the forced...
  23. L

5R55S OD Band - Short Question

Can the OD Band be replaced without much tranny disassembly? Can removing the valve body uncover enough of the tranny to perform this replacement? Can it be done without removing the transmission? Thanks,
  24. L

New member with questions

I had a similar chirping noise and it turned out to be the "harmonic balancer". That's just a fancy name for a multi-component crankshaft pulley. To reduce the vibrations, the large crank shaft pulley on the bottom is a two part design with an inner puller, a layer of what looks like a rubber...
  25. L

Servo pin wear on the bore of 5R55W transmissions?

JCLookey, did you ever find a fix? I've got the 5R55S tranny. I have replaced both my OD and IM Servos and still have my shifting to 2nd and no OD problem. I am about to replace my Solenoid Block. If I have the same problem as you, what's next? The Valve Body? Thanks, Michael
Back