Thermostat Temperature Differences | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat Temperature Differences

LTCPipkin

Reaction score
City, State
Netcong, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT, 1993 Limited
Picked up a thermostat for my 2005 4 liter non-flex a couple weeks ago at Advance Auto...had to replace the thermostat lower housing and associated gaskets, decided might as well replace the thermostat while in there.

When I went to drop the new thermostat into its location, I discovered that it was much smaller (including diameter) than the thermostat I was removing. I checked out the box and noticed it was a 195 degree thermostat. I drove on over to my local Advance Auto to get the right thermostat (with old one in hand) and discovered that the OEM choice on his comuter for my motor/year showed the smaller part number at 195 degrees. He scrolled down on his computer and found one that showed as "optional" for my motor and collected it from the shelf. It was indeed the correct size and looked exactly like the old one...with one exception. This correct size one was rated at 180 degrees. My old one didn't have any ratings, so I assumed it was correct and installed it.

My question is...why was the smaller one that his computer suggested was correct rated at 195 degrees and this "optional" one rated at 180 degrees?

I know I installed the proper "size" thermostat...but did I install the proper "temperature" thermostat?

Thanks,
Michael

I'd agree with the 195. I wouldn't want to introduce that wild card into a computer controlled engine.

I know I installed the proper "size" thermostat...but did I install the proper "temperature" thermostat?

Thanks,
Michael
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Haynes manual calls for a 195 degree Thermostat (actual temp range 194 to 223 F) for the 2005 and later year V-6 4.0L. I have the same year Ex and engine as you and I installed a new Thermostat and seal last May. I bought my parts at Advance Auto Parts as well and here are the correct part numbers you need: Stant T-Stat is Part #13649 (89 inch lbs for torque on T-stat housing bolts) and the Fel Pro Seal for it is Part #35673. Advance Auto parts should have it. I haven't had one problem or leaks from my T-stat change and I get great heat inside my Explorer. T-stat is working fine and engine temp gauge is always dead center of the gauge or just a hair under center. The 180 degree stat you installed isn't even mentioned anywhere in the Haynes manual listing for Explorer T-stats. The closest to it is the 188 degree to 212 T-stat that goes into 2005 and later year V-8's. The 2002-2004 V-6's use a T-stat rated at 194-210 degrees.

Back