Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Heavily corroded axle threads, trying to remove wheel bearing, Need help! (Pic Incl.)

Alright guys, the job is done: The spindle nut came right off with a hand torch and a harbor freight 1/2" impact + harbor freight 10 gallon, 2.5HP compressor with zero issues. The threads under the nut were fine and could have been reused, however, since I had all ready bought all...
  2. F

Heavily corroded axle threads, trying to remove wheel bearing, Need help! (Pic Incl.)

Well seeing the picture now, but it appears to be for the rear. I'm needing the front.
  3. F

Only getting the yahoo login screen at this link.
  4. F

Thanks for the suggestion shucker, I went to autozone and rented the slide hammer with a "fwd axle puller" attachment (just looks like a big C) and a torque wrench (mine only goes to 150lbs/ft. For $174. I also went to harbor freight and picked up a decent compressor and good impact. 3/8" hose...
  5. F

Yeah, I kinda figured I was out of luck on this one. I needed to get a decent impact and compressor anyway. The angle grinder is ready to go though... So the only other questions I have are is there anything holding the CV shaft in the front differential, like a c-clip? Or can I just knock it...
  6. F

So here's the deal, I have a front drivers side wheel bearing going bad. I've replaced the passenger side one some time back. The issue is the threads on the axle are so corroded I'm not sure just what to do. The picture was taken after I used a wire brush on a drill to remove any "rust"...
  7. F

seat belt anchor bolts

Does anyone know what these should be torqued at when reinstalling? Specifically the drivers side anchor bolt, that attaches the seatbelt to the floor.
  8. F

2002 4.6 4x4 with codes P0735 and P0775

Did you have any luck? I'm dealing with the same issues.
  9. F

P0735 & P0775, Overdrive light bliking, convertor slipping? Need help.

Well here's what I'm faced with: 2003 V6 4.0L 4x4, 113k. I was merging onto a four lane and as soon as I got into 50-60mph it attempted to shift into overdrive, it felt like the explorer was bucking, the bucking stopped after a few seconds, O/D light came on the dash flashing. So it...
  10. F

Need some help, "rumble strip" vibration on '03.

Rrgone, I'll give that a shot. It does hesitate noticeably when in automatic 4WD if I accelerate full throttle from a stop. If I put it in 4WD high the hesitation (feels similar to a bad misfire) goes away. What fuses need pulled and will the 4WD system still function if I put it in high or...
  11. F

I actually removed my ebrake assembly on the passenger side because it fell apart while driving and the shoe caused so much friction that it ended up making so much heat it completely ruined the brake caliper, which had to be replaced. I'm pretty sure it felt like it was from the front end...
  12. F

Just looking for a little insight here. I have 2003 with 110k on it. When it's parked for a while, say a few hours, or overnight. As I get in to drive it away from a stop there will always be a vibration approximately 50-100 feet down the road from where it was parked. It will last only...
  13. F

245/70/R17 vs. 255/70/R17

It will be time for new tires soon on my 2003 Explorer...I'm trying to decide between two different sizes: Factory is 29.5". 245/70/R17 : 30.5" Tire. 255/70/R17: 31.1" Tire. Here's the deal, I don't off-road per say, but it just looks like crap with the smaller tires on it and I...
  14. F

What tools to change upper manifold and valve cover gaskets?

I just hand tightened the manifold bolts with a 1/4" ratchet pretty dang tight. I cleaned my engine bay without an air compressor, it really helped as there was a lot of sludge around in the intake manifold base. Just make sure to really scrub any gasket mating surfaces and get them as clean as...
  15. F

Definitely inch pounds, at 89 ft. lbs. I'm sure those things would snap.
  16. F

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Here's the torque specs according Chiltons, it also says to loosen the axle retainer nut for some reason on the 4x4? Ball joint nut 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) for 2wd and 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm) for 4wd Upper arm nuts 111 ft. lbs. (150 Nm). Check and, if necessary, align the...
  17. F

Mine had the same "goop" oily buildup. I changed my PVC valve out at 90k because I thought it might be the cause of an oil leak. Relatively cheap part and easy to change but there was nothing wrong with mine. Took it out and the check valve operated fine.
  18. F

Alright got her done...figured I might as well post up my experience. I only broke three things!!! This is from memory so forgive me if I forget something simple: - Disconnect battery - Degrease Engine - Remove cover over throttle body (2, Torx screws) - Remove throttle cables from...
  19. F

Alright got my 1/4" T30 and swivel, all gaskets, and engine degreaser... Ready to go! But does anyone have a diagram of the bolts on the intake manifold? I want to make sure I get them all off before I try to pull the intake off. Also what in the world are the these grommets that came with...
  20. F

Boomin, been a long time! You da man, T30 it is. I don't have anything that will go that low in the torque department so I'll do it by hand and snug her up. Yes thanks for mentioning that about the upper/lower intake manifold gaskets. To clarify I know it's just one set but I always just feel...
  21. F

Anyone else? also torque specs are appreciated.
  22. F

Thank you, any idea on what size torx bits?
  23. F

Hey guys (and ladies if there are any) I am planning on replacing the drivers side valve cover and the upper intake manifold gaskets due to some leaking. 2003 4.0 SOHC Flex V6 Are there any specialty tools I need such as Torx bits? Also are there any How-To's anywhere? I searched and...
  24. F

Getting ready to order some parts...

Guilateen: Fuel filter job was pretty easy, in retrospect I wish I would have gotten a the vehicle off the ground instead of just sliding under it and getting fuel all over everything lol. I had the fuel line tool all ready and wasn't sure if it was the correct one for the job so that took a...
  25. F

Getting ready to order some parts...

2003 Ford Explorer, 4.0L SOHC V6, 4WD Just hit 90k miles and so far have replaced PCV valve fuel filter, plugs, air filter etc. I was planning on replacing the plug wires, valve covers (leaking), intake manifold gaskets (also leaking?), serpentine belt, a missing rear wheel stud and lug nut...
Back