Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Vehicle Vibrates After Adding ATF.

Maybe we can just delete this thread from existence. After closer inspection it seems I was able to knock the spark plug wire off the spark plug. When you're done laughing, please close/delete/forget this ever happened. Huge thanks for all your responses.. I think I'll make it a habit to...
  2. C

Hey Guys, thanks for your suggestions… It still happens in Neutral. I think I have noticed lack of power, and possibly bad fuel economy. I'll try to track this better. I've only driven it like this for about 5-10miles. I think I hear a loud ticking noise now. I should mention that...
  3. C

Thanks guys, I'm definitely using the proper ATF. I only notice the leak around the bell housing when it gets really cold out. I'm guessing the gasket shrinks when it's frozen, then leaks more then normal. Is that possible? Hmm. Maybe it is the engine. Was thinking a valve wasn't seating...
  4. C

Hey Everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read my post! Recently I noticed a lot of ATF under the truck, it looks to be coming from where the engine meets the transmission. I think it's called bell housing. So I've been trying to get the fluid back up to level. Adding a bit here and...
  5. C

Cold Snap Weather = Fluid Puddle

Hey Jim!! Thanks a lot for the response, it means a lot to have your advice with this. So I've just about stripped it completely. Maybe I should just replace the calliper. Does this mean I have to replace both at the same time? I've always wondered this. Should I put new pads in the new...
  6. C

HUGE thanks Romeo!! As always your advice is INVALUABLE!! And everyone else's for that matter! So you probably guessed it, I can't get the bleeder valve to turn on the passenger calliper. I've been soaking it with DW40 rust penetrant for a day and a half. I've applied it about 10 x's over...
  7. C

quick update… got the new line in, brakes are working again, although not as good as before.. I think I might have to bleed the other calliper. Does anyone know if this is the case? The line that broke goes down into a banjo and at the top of the banjo another line comes out and it...
  8. C

heads up boys… i'm an idiot…. i know better then this, and this should have been my first step. and should have realized it was the wrong fitting after the first ten minutes of trying it. step 1. test the fittings actually screw into the banjo, before putting them on the brake line and making...
  9. C

thanks again kkjb4x4.0! I did exactly what you said… Here's the break down of my cold weekend in the snow and blizzard on my back in the driveway. 1. jack up front driver side wheel, pull off tire, gain access to banjo 2. using dremel orbital saw, cut the brake line right at the nut… dremel...
  10. C

kkjb4x4.0, huge thanks man! and thanks again to everyone, all your had be amazing! one more question… i've said that about five times… hehe does anyone know the diameter of the hose, and the size of the fittings? I can't find the part at ford, so now I'm stuck trying to match the new part...
  11. C

thanks kkjb4x4.0! One more question, I was at the library last night checking out the Hanes manual and it says to use a Flare Wrench… One to hold the banjo nut to keep it from turning when loosening the brake line nut. Do I actually need to use a Flare wrench? Is that the same as a pipe...
  12. C

That's a lot of questions, here they are again in a list. 1. When I put the new line back in, will I have to bleed all the breaks? I'm thinking I'll only need todo that one line/brake calliper. Is that correct? 2. Do I need a flare kit? 3. How long and what Diameter is the brake line? 4. Is...
  13. C

I think I might need a flare tool, or can someone tell me exactly how long that tube is? Maybe someone has some specs on this? Also, is it safe to bend the tube by hand? The guy at the part store was a real dbag, he said I need a pipe wrench, a tube bender, and a flare kit. He also said I...
  14. C

thanks jremington95! I thought about cutting and using the socket, but wasn't sure if it was safe until you suggested it. I tried to find the part at Ford, but they don't sell it… Going to start by removing the old line, I'll post back once I get it out. When I put the new line back in...
  15. C

Thank again RomeoIL! Do you think I can get away with using a standard wrench, i don't have a pipe wrench? Should I bleed all four brakes after this? Should I go to ford for this brake line? parts guy is saying you need a bender, and ford sells them pre - bent… i don't have a bender. I'll...
  16. C

lobo411, 255,000 miles on her… Sad to say I think she's on her last legs, I hope i'm wrong, but the road salt and lack of care from the previous owner has taken it's toll…. RomeovilleIL, thanks for the links and tips! So if the part that connects to the Banjo is rusted to the point of no...
  17. C

More Pics, May have lucked out! Check it out guys! http://imgur.com/a/BisUB I was able to locate the exact line that's leaking. And I think I hit the broken brake line jackpot… If there is a such a thing.. It looks like it's a really short line that goes from the reservoir to the driver...
  18. C

Here are the pictures! Here's the pics guys… Sorry about the order, but you can kinda see the location from the more zoomed out shots, and you can see the wet line in the zoomed in shots. Let me know what you think! I'm really scared that this might mean the end of my truck. :-(...
  19. C

Thanks jremington59!! I've tried that and found that the leak was coming from a cluster of metal wires just below where two gas lines connect, right above the front driver wheel, between the battery and the brake fluid reservoir. There are also come battery cables above that area. It's hard...
  20. C

Hey All! Not sure if the extreme cold weather was to blame or not, but any help would be HUGE! On my way to work, first time stopping hard, I noticed the break were a bit softer then normal. Each time I tried to stop they'd get softer and softer. Until I had basically no breaks. Once stopped...
  21. C

4R44E - Fluid leak - pics included

On a side note, anyone know the fastest/easiest way to get pics from your iPhone onto the site?
  22. C

I should have mentioned that when I turned the truck back around so the front of the truck was facing up hill, the leak slowed right down.
  23. C

Hey Everyone! 96 ford ranger xlt 2wd, auto, 3liter Just noticed some tranny fluid leaking out. I had just moved the truck so that it was now parked facing down hill when the leak started. It was dripping at a fairly heavy rate right where the engine meets the transmission. About six...
  24. C

auto trans not wanting to shift

Hey Englishman11 I have the exact same problem... What ended up fixing this in the end? Did the tech rebuild the tranny?
  25. C

96 Ranger - Where do I start with fixing these codes

thanks for the response rwnezing! Very helpful response, in fact I've been able to fix all the codes with the exception of the transmission related codes. Here's how I fixed these. O2 codes = replace post cat O2 sensor = fixed EVAP codes = replaced rubber cracked hoses with new ones = fixed...
Back