Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Did my spark plugs!

You really don't need anything special to do this job, a regular spark plug socket with an extension will work fine. The coil boot on the #8 plug was a little hard to handle due to space constraints, just be careful not to bend the plug on the coil. I used a torque wrench to tighten the new...
  2. L

Did my spark plugs!

Just wanted to share something I didn't know, and didn't find here on the forum until After I finished the job... On the 2008 4.6V8, Ford changed the spark plugs mid-year, from the old 3 piece plug to a standard 1 piece plug. The old plugs have a black coil boot, and the new plugs have a brown...
  3. L

Sync v4.4

Thanks Rebecca!! I appreciate the your time and answer!!
  4. L

Sync v4.4

Thanks for posting this information, I hadn't heard anything about it. I went to the Ford site and registered my Sport Trac and it told me I had to take my ST to the dealership for my update. There was no option for me to download and install myself. Rebecca, is there a difference here I...
  5. L

Charging system light on dash

My 08 had the charging light come on just as I was leaving the house. I stopped, restarted, and it happened again immediately. I went back home and checked voltages, the battery was 12.8 with the engine off, and when I started the engine the voltage dropped to 11.9. I cleaned all the...
  6. L

Wanted neutral tow kit P/N 6L2Z-7H332-A

The charts on this show that it is compatible with 14 specific vehicles, and that is true. But if you have a later model (2007+) with a V8 you also need to install a switch to jump a couple of wires in your shift console. All you are getting here is a $10 LED with the matching connector for...
  7. L

2007 sportrac towing

Sparky, I just replied to you PM. No, you can't tow your vehicle 4-down, or 2-down. The transmissions are different. You can go to the Remo site to confirm: remcotowing.com and enter your vehicle information. It will tell you that you have to trailer your vehicle...
  8. L

Rubber Bumper on my Tonneau cover

There's a place called LKQ Pick Your Part in Anaheim that you could try. Even if they don't have an ST in stock, they usually have a computerized system of other pick and pull places that might have what you need.
  9. L

Your Advice on Which Brake Rotors & Pads to purchase

I scored an "open box" set of drilled and slotted rotors with full ceramic pads from Amazon a few months ago. Got all four for less than $125 with shipping! Stop great, almost no dust, and they even look spiffy. Not sure what brand because the original boxes were missing, but everything was...
  10. L

What will replace your Sport Trac?

It has to be something towable, as a full-time RV'er I need to tow as I go. We've already decided that if the engine goes, we'll just replace it and keep going. Can't change to a Tacoma or Pathfinder unless its a manual trans, you can't tow the auto trans four-down. The Colorado/Canyon sucks...
  11. L

Tailgate emblem and tailgate top molding replace

Johnny, honestly, did this really work? The only reason mine is still on the truck is because the tonneau cover holds it down. All the tabs are broken off.
  12. L

cy

If it's a "tinny" sound, then something sheet metal is probably making the noise, no? I'd check the heat shielding on your exhaust system and see if something is loose or hanging. Maybe something else is loose and hitting the shielding. Also, could it be the ever present exhaust leak that all...
  13. L

2008 Sport Trac Brake Upgrade?

I picked up an "open box" set of slotted and drilled rotors with ceramic pads off of Amazon for $108 with free shipping. Retail was around $949, but they seriously damaged the packaging and I got a sweet deal. Stopping power doesn't feel all that much different, but the rotors certainly cool...
  14. L

Strange Engine Noise

In thinking it over, I see no reason to fix it at this time. The "leak" only occurs on startup for 15-20 seconds and stops. That tells me that it is a very small leak, as it stops because the initial start up heat created by the exhaust is swelling the metal and stopping the leak. I would...
  15. L

Strange Engine Noise

Thanks, and I don't consider your information to be bad news... Actually, I'm thankful it's something NOT fatal. For now, I'm going to be content to just leave it alone and pay attention to any changes that it's getting worse or causing other problems. LR
  16. L

Strange Engine Noise

08 ST with 80K miles recently started issuing a "ticking" sound on startup, coming from the passenger side. If it was an older engine, I'd say it was an exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold area. But, the ticking stops within about 15-20 seconds, slowly fading away. I'm thinking it's a...
  17. L

Engine question - 4.6L V8

Thanks for the response. I was thinking heat shielding, but sound proofing makes more sense given the type of foam... Mine has to have been like that for at least a year, as that's the last time we were anywhere with a mouse problem. Had them in the car and motorhome several times last summer...
  18. L

Engine question - 4.6L V8

Yesterday my 2008 ST showed the bright red Battery Not Charging symbol about 30 seconds after starting it. I shut it down, restarted it, and it happened again. Got my volt meter out, battery was 12.55 but when I started the engine it dropped to 11.20. Pretty sure the alternator wasn't...
  19. L

Fuel pump? FPDM? Regulator? ideas?

So, you posted a question for help, received no replies as to how to fix it, and 8 days later it's suddenly fixed with a "simple" repair?? Wish all my questions worked that way. Good for you. Loren
  20. L

Fuel pump? FPDM? Regulator? ideas?

Rick, based upon your descriptions of the problems, I'm pretty sure that there is nothing YOU can do to fix these problems. You need to take the vehicle to a shop and have a mechanic check it out.
  21. L

Possible Air Leak on Passenger Front Window

I think all these guys are explaining their water leaks, but you specifically said you have NO water leak, just sounds like air rushing in/by... I had a similar problem, and discovered that part of the rubber door trim wasn't in place, and had folded over at the corner. Not sure if it was...
  22. L

4x4 Auto

Well, it usually is RWD all the time. If your rear wheels start to slip, 4WD kicks in automatically and usually remains until normal driving is resumed. You may feel it go in and out of 4WD depending on how you're driving, but that's what 4 Auto is all about. If you're entering a snowy...
  23. L

Brake Pad Question

Recently I purchased a set of drilled & slotted rotors with new ceramic pads and installed them myself. Ceramic pads show to be OEM on my 08 Trac, so that's what I went with. My rotors were starting to warp, and although I had plenty of pad left, I was getting a lot of squealing too. Then on...
  24. L

Rear lights don't come on

Disregard, I saw your other post.
  25. L

MAP Sensor???

If your mechanic is reading a MAP sensor code, then you should ask him to replace the MAP sensor. That could definately cause your described problem. If you think your engine is running lean, add some fuel injector cleaner and see if that changes anything. With fuel injection, "lean" or...
Back