• Register Today It's free!

Engine question - 4.6L V8

Loren R

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NV and volunteer at: GRSM, GRCA, ZION, GRTE and YOSE
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac Limited V8
Yesterday my 2008 ST showed the bright red Battery Not Charging symbol about 30 seconds after starting it. I shut it down, restarted it, and it happened again. Got my volt meter out, battery was 12.55 but when I started the engine it dropped to 11.20. Pretty sure the alternator wasn't working.

I checked the forum and noted some comments about a 175 Amp fuse, but mine doesn't have one of those inline to the battery. I removed the alternator and went to Auto Zone and had them test it. It worked FINE. I returned home, re-installed it and cleaned all the connections (which appeared to be perfectly clean already) and fired up the engine. Voltage now reads 14.60... Not sure what was wrong, but all is well with the world now!!

Anyway, my question results from this adventure. When I removed the alternator I observed that the valley behind it was full of crumbled green foam pieces. The entire valley was covered front to back, about 3 inches deep of these crumbled foam pieces. I got my flashlight out and discovered that they appeared to have come from a 2 inch thick piece of foam rubber directly underneath the intake manifold, at the top of the valley. Looks like it is glued in place there. (I'm not 100 percent certain, but I'm guessing that a mouse probably made a home in there and used the foam to make its nest).

So, what is this piece of form for? Do I need to replace it? Even with the missing pieces, it's still about an inch thick... I can't find anything online about it. Appreciate your comments!!
Loren

The foam is purely for NVH use. It is supposed to help deaden or soak up noises from the engine and intake track. I had my intake modifying my IMRC plates and just removed it. If I remember correctly it is attached to a couple of molded in columns and has those press on nuts holding it in place. It is of no concern for reliabilities sake. I didn't want the added heat it could hold in the intake manifold myself. At least now "some" air can flow through better... :usa:

Thanks for the response. I was thinking heat shielding, but sound proofing makes more sense given the type of foam... Mine has to have been like that for at least a year, as that's the last time we were anywhere with a mouse problem. Had them in the car and motorhome several times last summer in AZ. Since I've had no problems with overheating, I'll just leave it alone.
Thanks again!
LR

Back