Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

4th generation 4x4 Explorer (not AWD)

You are correct that the AWD label that carried over to 4th generation mountaineer is really a bit of a misnomer for the V8. It is really an automatic 4x4 system and is near identical to the Explorer version. Only difference is that the Mountaineer does not have the low range option the Explorer...
  2. A

08 4.6l exhaust manifold leak, snapped bolts

Snapped studs on exhaust manifold I had my passenger side leak and tick last year and had it fixed at the dealer. I bought my Mountaineer as a certified pre-owned so it has a 7 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. According to the dealer it this warranty covered all the work involved with...
  3. A

2007 V8 Mountaineer

I have an 08 V8 Mounty as well and I find that the MPG gauge is very accurate. On pure highway driving I will get 18 to 21 MPG dependent on wind and speed. Closer to 65 MPH will get the better gas milage. In blended driving with only 25% highway I am usually around 15.5 in winter and 16.5 in...
  4. A

Poor Gas Mileage and Rough Sounding

If RPM is fluctuating while you drive it points to a transmission or torque converter issue. If the converter is not locking up properly of any of the transmission bands are slipping the MPG will go down in a hurry. I had this happen on my 02 Mountaineer and eventually it killed 3 and 5th...
  5. A

Auto 4x4 always on until 40mph...??

I have a similar noise on my 08 V8 mountaineer AWD which has basically the same system as the Explorer. I actually ended up purchasing the shop manuals as I wanted to figure out exactly how the system is working on the Mountaineer as I felt the AWD designation was a bit misleading. After a lot...
  6. A

What to look for in a use 2007?

Just to clarify on the tow package and rear axle ratio. The V6 with tow package gets the 3.73 rear axle (versus standard 3.55. All V6 has 5 speed transmission) The V8 with tow package gets the 3.55 rear axle (no change. All V8 comes with 6 speed transmission) The V8 with 6 speed has a...
  7. A

Re-Adjusting Roof Rack Cross Bars

Ditto, I found that the screws can get kind of stuck and I had to insert a screwdriver through the little hoops to get enough leverage to loosen them. Be careful not to break them though. Once the screws are loose and you tapped the bar loose, you should be able to slide them back and forth.
  8. A

How do you add a Brake Controller to a '03 XLT with a towing package?

Your mention of a flat 4 wire connector worries me a little. I hope you don't mean the flat 4 wire connector for the trailer by the hitch. First you have to ensure that you do in fact have the tow package. If you do, you will have the 2" reciever instead of the smaller 1 1/4" and you will...
  9. A

2008 Explorer EB with Sunroof -

If you have the visor with light in it already it should be an easy plug in. The Homelink module is completely self contained. You can also consider the option of replacing the orginal setup with the moon roof controls with one that has the Homelink build in. This is the OEM location of...
  10. A

Lock and unlock doors with key - have questions

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that feature got cut for cost saving.
  11. A

Lock and unlock doors with key - have questions

This started with me having the wife's 99 Sable serviced. The note came back that the drivers door key lock was inop. I tested it when she got home and this is what it does: Twist the key once - the driver doors open. Appears to be mechanical linkage Twist it again and it unlocks all the...
  12. A

Where is the 2-stage a/c compressor located?

I wish it was so. I have the rear air and there are only controls for the rear air system in the front headliner. There are no controls for the passengers to reach to adjust in the back. I am familiar with the system in other vehicles, but I do not remember seeing it on the...
  13. A

Well I got two new trucks anyway

I had the 2002 Mountaineer with 4.6L V8 and 3.73 rear - identical to yours. I was getting consistently getting 14.7 mpg in the winter and 15.7 mpg in the summer. I just remember those numbers because it seemed like they always were the same at the end of a tank of gas. I mostly used it to get...
  14. A

2006 Explorer rear window heater/defrost

The proper way to test this is by using a volt meter instead of a test light. Measure from one side to the other of the grid. You should have around 12V maybe a little more with the engine running. Then measure from one side to the center of each individual line. You should have around 6V...
  15. A

2006 Explorer 6 speed transmission shifting issue - update

My 08 V8 Mountaineer never had the jolting issue, but it did have the rough shifting from 1st to 2nd when I bought it used. I had the flash upgrade done at 33,000 miles and it pretty much eliminated the issue. If you give it good throttle in first and then let off the gas it will still be a...
  16. A

Class action lawsuit for cracked tailgate filed. 02-05

I also had the crack on my 02 Mountaineer with 40,000 miles on it. This happened not from temperature shock but just cold temperature. It happened while at work in -10F weather. There were plenty of discussions about it on the internet at that time that I brought to the dealer. Ford offered...
  17. A

Front wiper help is needed.

I had a similar situation. I had the beam type blade (different brand than Bosch) on the front and they left a stripe in the same area. I was never able to make this style work on my 02 Mountaineer. Same thing for the rear wiper - even the winter style blades didn't work. Interestingly...
  18. A

7 pin trailer wiring

It is very odd that it would have the towing package but has the smaller hitch. I think the dealer may be a bit confused, I have seen that a lot when I was looking for my 08 vehicle. It may have tow package (in the sense that it has the 1.25" reciever and a 4 pin connector) but this is not same...
  19. A

Sun Visor problems

I just checked my PremiumCare ESP as well. It clearly states all failures are covered unless noted in the "not covered" list. The only items that come close in that list is "rear view mirror" and "trim and upholstery". They may be confusing a vanity mirror with a rear view mirror (hope they...
  20. A

4x4 vs AWD and Explorer vs Mountaineer

thebrakeman have it right. The V6 Mounty is stuck with the mechanical AWD system. The V8 Mounty and the Explorers have the electronic TOD system. Based on the patent on file covering this system, it has approx. 5/95 split until slippage is detected. That is why it is important that the...
  21. A

I really only care about the 2008 anyway. But in case you missed it in my text. Mounty V6 is 40/60 AWD Mounty V8 is On-Demand AWD or On-Demand 4x4 just the same as the Explorers. There is no lock on the V6 AWD version. If you look in the manual under V6 it will tell you that there is no...
  22. A

Thebrakeman, you have it absolutely correct. I wrote up a larger post that did not go through earlier today. I will post it here. Waskly is also getting closer in his last post. Only difference is that the Mounty V8 AWD does not have the 40/60 split but is identical to the Explorer minus the...
  23. A

07 Merc Mountaineer trans/gearing problem

Sorry to hear about your problems on it. I have the 2008 model with V8 AWD and find that it has no problems keeping up. It is however quite easy to accelerate faster than you think which makes the gas milage go down. In mostly city driving in the winter I get 14.5 MPG on average. If I reset...
  24. A

So if the Mounty has AWD that always gives 35/65, then what does the AWD locked setting in the message center do ? Interestingly enough it illuminates a 4x4 light on the dash just to complete the confusion. I am well versed on how AWD works. Bottom line is that I believe the gen 4 Mounty is...
  25. A

A mechanical one with viscous coupling will be like this UNTIL wheels start slipping. Then the viscous coupling will lock front and rear axles together. Can we at least agree on that ? If front and rear are locked together they will get the same torque. I don't know if there are systems that do...
Back