Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Transmission swap.

Thursday the 29th was a bad day. Had yo have a tooth extracted, and then tried to get a couple hours' work in. On the ride home, trans started slipping badly. Pulled over a couple times to check fluid, it was leaking, but not low yet. Finally, I got within walking distance of my neighborhood...
  2. A

Updates on all 3 Aerostars!

So, last weekend, I was able to squeeze in a few hours to change the cap, rotor, and wires in my DD. One terminal/boot at the cap was all rusty, in fact it fell off when I pulled the cover! There was also a boot on a plug that seemed like it was loose. There were the misses! When I started it...
  3. A

My nos fuel pump is installed.

I must say, it went easier than expected! Got it form ebay. Conveniently, it came with replacement clips for the fuel lines, one of the originals snapped. New pump was identical to the one I removed, so I assume it was the original! Good to have it done before the old one went out! Next, cap...
  4. A

Paging BrooklynBay - ECM location?

I've seen a lot of conflicting info about this. Researched old threads here and at FTE. Found one with identical symptoms, constant fuel pump, no start. They swapped out the ecm, and it fixed it. I'm probably going to pull a part tomorrow, they have a 92, 93, and 95. I did notice an anodized...
  5. A

New 1992 parts van. It doesn't start.

Picked up another 92 extended for $400! Seller's mechanic thought ECM died. When you connect the battery, the fuel pump runs, steady. I wondered if anyone has run across this problem. 167K, same as my DD van! Plans are to pull the trans and swap tires first, and eventually pull the motor and...
  6. A

Sayonarra overdrive.

Started a new job last month, driving about 30 miles each way. Last week, I was noticing the van was running hot on the interstate intermittently. Last Friday, I heard something odd, and turned the radio off. It was going in and out of OD, and, going uphill, no OD at all, with corresponding rpm...
  7. A

I finally found another Aerostar!

It took a while, but I finally found another Aerostar! It's a 92, 3.0, with 146K, which is practically new, compared to my 95! No rust or dents, decent blue interior (aside from front seats), ac works, 134 converted. I have a bit of work to do, since it's been sitting for a few months-fluids...
  8. A

Zombie van pictures.

My back from the dead van! As opposed to a zombie HUNTING van, like this one:
  9. A

Back from the dead, "Zombie Van"!!!

My opportunities were limited. I have an 87 full size 4wd chevy pickup that I could try to get on the road and inspected. But, a LOT of work involved, including replacing the transfer case and complete exhaust! That got me thinking, and looked at the Aero again. What I thought was damage to the...
  10. A

R.I.P. 1995 Aerostar.

The ol' van made it to 364,652 miles this morning, then the lower front ball joint snapped at 65+ mph! :eek: Thankfully, no one was hurt, and I didn't hit anything besides a post for the wire median. Some may remember, almost a year ago, at around 337K, the drive band broke in the trans. Most...
  11. A

Rear wiper dashboard switch.

Old news for some, but if you have one, and need to take the dash trim off, watch out! That switch has four tiny plastic tabs that easily break off! Then everything falls apart, it's not pretty! I was at the salvage yard recently, and noted a lot of them were already gone. I managed to break a...
  12. A

350k!

Yesterday, passed 350,000 miles on the ol' van! Not many more left in it, that's for sure. But, I'm contemplating turning the back half into a cargo trailer when the drivetrain dies. -Adam
  13. A

Uh oh, mystery shrapnel in the transmission pan!

So, about a month ago, I posted about the van not wanting to upshift. I picked up everything for a filter change, plus a mini torque wrench for possible band adjustment. Well, after working two saturdays in a row, I finally managed to gather enough energy to check things out. And these two...
  14. A

1995 Aerostar. Upshift issues.

This morning, had to stop at Lowe's to pick up grout for a tile job. When I drove out into the lot, it didn't want to shift out of first. I took my foot off the gas for a couple seconds, and when I gave it gas again, it had shifted. It seems to be mainly the 1-2 shift that's the hardest, the 2-3...
  15. A

I wonder how a turbo 2.3L would be in an Aerostar?

Thinking out loud mainly. I know there were regular 2.3's in the early Aeros, I assume they were terrible, given how much weight they were pushing around! Interesting concept, but I'm sure it'd be a bear to wire in the 2.3 computer into the stock wiring! :D -Adam
  16. A

Has anyone converted a different rear bumper?

From what I see, the plastic on the standard van bumper is *slightly more durable than the 3 piece extended bumper. And a decent center section is basically an impossibility. Wondering if anyone's worked out a solution, or if I'll end up pioneering something myself. I'd like to take a Ranger...
  17. A

Newb, 95 Aero 315K!

I learned last year that there's pretty much a forum for every vehicle! I joined the GM A body forum to help keep my 96 Century going, then the PT Cruiser forum when I bought our 06, and then the Full Size Jeep forum when I bought a 1964 Jeep J-300 pickup! So it was only logical I'd find one for...
Back