Uh oh, mystery shrapnel in the transmission pan! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uh oh, mystery shrapnel in the transmission pan!

Adam_tinkerer

Reaction score
City, State
Newton, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Aerostar
CRIM0010-2_zpsa910440a.jpg

CRIM0011-2_zps4a6a42b0.jpg

So, about a month ago, I posted about the van not wanting to upshift. I picked up everything for a filter change, plus a mini torque wrench for possible band adjustment. Well, after working two saturdays in a row, I finally managed to gather enough energy to check things out. And these two chunks were in the pan! :eek: If I had to guess, maybe band ends? But yet, it still works, as long as I let up on the gas to allow it to upshift. Still no problems downshifting on it's own. Any thoughts, other than i need to start looking for another vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as soon as i seen those next thing i would have done , is open Craigslist,,

sorry, but the trans rebuild is going to be more than the van is probably worth,,
unless you find a running driving unit on Craigslist or Ebay and swap it out,,

You might not have to give up so fast. If this broke in the front (overdrive section), then you could remove the transmission, bellhousing, and then replace the band without tearing apart the entire transmission.

I guess it must have been the drive band, because first, second, and overdrive definitely still work!

Back