Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Heater Core/ Blend Door

I think the last time it lasted about 4 months but you still had some smell. I guess it really depends on the size of the leak if it will even work at all. If your ranger is designed the same as the explorer there is a drain hole in the bottom of the heater plenum that pokes through the firewall...
  2. J

Heater Core/ Blend Door

I tried sealers twice (Bars leak, prestone) with only temporary results.
  3. J

ABS Fix

Was it just the light on or was the braking working improperly? I have a problem with chattering at slow speeds and in reverse and the wife claims to have almost got into an accident yesterday because she had to stop suddenly and the abs braking was somewhat ineffective. I'm heading to the gman...
  4. J

What is the tool called that lowers the spare tire?

Why not try a junkyard?
  5. J

ABS Chattering

Removed the rear and cleaned it. Still happening. Anyone have any other thoughts? Will there be any adverse effects from pulling the fuse?
  6. J

front end squeak on a 1997 ford explorer

My Bad. Replaced my upper & lower ball joints over the weekend...lotsa fun.
  7. J

front end squeak on a 1997 ford explorer

I've had the same problem with the passenger side of my 97. I was never able to pin point what it was. I jacked up the front end and soaked all the rubber bushings in the control arms and sway bars with silicone spray and the squeak went away. I've just done this for the second time about a week...
  8. J

ABS Chattering

Having a problem with my 97 XLT 5.0L ABS system. When stopping in reverse, the dam things activate Seems alright the rest of the time, although my wife predominately drives it and claims it happens going forward. Anyone have this problem or have a clue where to begin??? Thanks, Jim
  9. J

Charging AC

Thanks for the follow up Glacier.
  10. J

Charging AC

Looks like I should be good to go according to dogfriends attachment specs. Compressors is cycling around the "AC Cycling Switch" Specs of 47 PSI on and 22 PSI off and I have at least 30 oz. of refrigerent in system. If anything, I'm overcharged. I'm guessing the short cycle times are due to...
  11. J

Charging AC

In the process of re-charging my AC system after replacing the heater core in my 97Xlt 5.0 and wondering if anyone can answer a question or two. I've evacuated it and charged it with refrigerent and have it running. Its nice and cold, though the temp here in NE PA is 50, and the compressor...
  12. J

Broken Plug...To Heat Or Not To Heat

The heat didn't work worth a ****. I tried for a day and a half heating and tapping etc. Only had a propane torch but even with an oxy accetalene torch I'm not so sure. The heat dissipated through the entire motor quite rapidly and would never get real hot where you wanted it to. A little side...
  13. J

Finally got it out.(Thank God). Found a very useful tool to aid in removal of plugs or any other seized bolt for that matter. Its a product called circuit freeze made by puretronics. There are other manufacturers, I even found one on the web to freeze dogshit. Its an aerosol thats used to freeze...
  14. J

Heater problems, not the blend door, what else could it be

Your heater valve feeding the heater core is working...right?
  15. J

Heater problems, not the blend door, what else could it be

I just got done with a heater core change and got a good look at the blend door. Mine was alright but what it looks like to me was an engineering error in which the stroke on the actuator over extends the blend door limits and it tears up the inside of where the actuator meshes with the blend...
  16. J

This is being a real SOB. Broke 2 tap handles with the EZ out and now frightened of breaking the EZ out, not to mention running out of tools. Letting it soak with Kroil overnight. Anyone have any enlightening insights into this? Thanks, Jim
  17. J

Broke a plug in half in my 97 X 5.0. Got all the ceramic and electrode remains out and now trying to EZ out. Read on some posts about heating the plug remains before trying the EZ out. Any one have success with this? To me it seems you would be expanding the plug threads and only make it harder...
  18. J

Dash Board Removal - Help, Suicide is Emminent

Casting this off to a non profit charity would just be wrong not to mention unethical.
  19. J

Are you sure no one? Have you ever changed a heater core in a 97 xlt, and before replacing the evap core and blower decide its a good time to change the plugs and wires. Then have one plug literaly snap in half flush with the head? I'm still debating..... mouth full of water or...
  20. J

I Beg For Your Help!!!

Experiencing the identical problem. This being on the heels of a heater core replacement....it just keeps getting better. Figured it was the oppurtune time to get access to the plugs with the evap core and housing removed. Just a few questions hoping someone could help me out with. In the...
  21. J

With the truck or the glock?
  22. J

In the process of changing the heater core on my 97 XLT 5.0 and got to the point in the haynes manual where it says " gently slide dash out and unplug connectors" only problem is the dash will not "gently" slide out. Seems like something is holding in on the top. Anyone know what it is or could...
  23. J

Heater Core/ Blend Door

Thanks Dogfriend, What CD manual do you have? The reason for the question about the blend door is because I'm going to have the entire dash out (Not to mention the center console and not knowing where to begin on either) and not sure what I will need to fix it. Trading in is not a viable...
  24. J

Heater Core/ Blend Door

Hi, Have a heater core leak in my 97 XLT V-8. After putting it of for a long time I've finally decided to go in. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or set procedure to approach this wonderful problem? Also, Ive been experiencing problems with my blower switching positions (With the ac on to...
  25. J

Battery size????

Thanks guys, Smiley it was replaced for free when I purchased it in 00 with 36K (the existing one croaked two days later) I'm now at 91K.
Back