Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. prayforsurf0

No Start, One Click. New Starter, No Clicks, No Start.

Hey guys, I have a 98' Ex and my buddy has a 00' Ex He just bought the car and started driving home, but it died on the way. AAA came and the battery checked out good, but apparently the alternator was tested and deemed weak output. They towed him the rest of the way home. He replaced the...
  2. prayforsurf0

Wind Shield Seam Leak

Damn it !! Rust is gonna kill my EX before anything else ! Keep my rig in top shape and she purrs beautifully, but I live in the North East and she's rusting out in a few key spots. One of those spots is along the windshield seam. I'm pretty confident in my assumption that the rust is happening...
  3. prayforsurf0

Headlights Take Turns Working...

So passenger side headlight goes out and I notice this 5 mins away from home at night. However, when I put the high beams on, it works. So I leave the high beams on to get home and avoid getting pulled over. Next day I buy a new bulb and replace it. Turn the headlights on to make sure it...
  4. prayforsurf0

Wouldn't start (for no apparent reason). Then finally did (for no apparent reason!)

I take good car of my old girl. She's old and got plenty of miles, but runs beautifully, and I know her purr well and can hear in a second an issues I need to check out or fix. She's my girl and I know her well. I was stumped this morning when I went to start her and she just turned over with...
  5. prayforsurf0

Brake Line Replacement

Hey all, I've replace all the hard lines on my 98' Ex from ABS unit to each caliper myself before, and the line that goes over the rear diff. The two short lines from the MC to ABS looked fine at the time so I let them be (wish I just replaced them too) because now they look ready to be...
  6. prayforsurf0

There's a Snake Under my Hood !

Or a vacuum leak. I'm thinking its a vacuum leak because I just started noticing this hissing sound coming from the drivers side under the hood when the car is running. When the car is stopped the hissing continues for a quick second or two more before completely dying, like the last bits of air...
  7. prayforsurf0

Transfer Case Fluid Change Leads to O/D flashing

I changed my transfer case fluid today and replaced with motorcraft transfer case fluid because I've never addressed the t-case and wanted to make sure it was filled properly with good fluid. To my surprise the old stuff looked surprising healthy. The change was simple and seamless. Afterwards...
  8. prayforsurf0

Rear Differential Oil LS vs nonLS

It was a few years ago, but I've changed both differentials oil. I believe I remember that I do not have a limited slip differential in the back (can someone remind me how to make sure of that) is it on the tag bolted to the cover ? Or somehow coded in the VIN ? Anyway, I bought new Mobil 1...
  9. prayforsurf0

P1451 EVAP Canister Help

Apparently a notorious problem for the Ford Explorers, I returned to my car yesterday and spotted the evap canister and mount hanging by the last thread of rust. I temporarily supported it with some wire to get home. I've already been throwing P1451 Code, and when the canister dropped some of...
  10. prayforsurf0

Identify This Part...

I can post a pic if necessary but I have a feeling someone will know what I'm talking about. I've always wondered what that "box" is located in the rear of the vehicle and above/behind the spare tire. It's supported by a piece of metal that in my case is so rusted out that this "box" is now...
  11. prayforsurf0

Did I Ruin my Alternator ? (accidentally grounded alt cable).

Hey guys, One of the cables from the alternator (the one that is held down with a nut) was in my way from getting to a bolt, so I removed the nut and alternator cable. When I was going to put the cable back I accidentally grounded the end of the cable on some metal and heard a loud pop. Once...
  12. prayforsurf0

Coolant Leak SOHC

Is there a few common locations to find a coolant leak on a 98' SOHC ? I have a leak that I haven't been able to trace up to the source. It drips down to the road on the passenger side towards the front of the engine. It hits the cross member, and it hits the oil pan in the front so that it...
  13. prayforsurf0

Regarding Stubborn O2 Sensor

I'm dealing with a very stubborn passenger side sensor, before the cat that will not come out for me. Can I drill a hole in the exhaust pipe and tap it so that I could leave the old sensor in place and simply screw the new on in my new hole ? Only issue I can think of is that there won't be...
  14. prayforsurf0

Another Timing Chain Post

Just wondering if this sound I'm hearing on startup is my timing chain, though it doesn't exactly match the sound people describe, it does occur at startup and my SOHC is hitting 235 K ! From what I've heard online through videos and descriptions, timing chain is more of an abrasive, metallic...
  15. prayforsurf0

Best cold start procedure for high mileage explorer

I thought I read somewhere on the forums that when cold starting, if you turn the engine a few times but release the key before the engine actually starts you will build oil pressure so that when you do finally allow the car to start and run oil will be at the timing chain immediately. Is this...
  16. prayforsurf0

SOHC Belt Squeal at Startup: Stumped

This one seemed so simple, but I'm now stumped. Here is the order of events. It started as a tiny, "chirp" at startup. One quick chirp and immediately went away after starting. Few days later. Grinding Pulley noise comes from engine. Discover AC compressor pulley is shot so I replace it...
  17. prayforsurf0

Advice for a high mileage SOHC

By doing research for another topic, I came across a bunch of info about how the SOHC engines timing chain guides suck. I had no idea about this being such a huge problem with the SOHC engines. I have a 98' at 215,000 miles. It seems as though I have a very, subtle rattling noise under the...
  18. prayforsurf0

Replaced CV Joint Seems Worse Off

I put this in the driveshaft CV joint sticky above, I just did this replacement [driveshaft CV] on my truck because I would get a loud "clunck" when reversing and turning in four wheel drive. Also replaced the U joint while I was taking the shaft off. Everything went smoothly. Installed...
  19. prayforsurf0

small piece from 5r55e valve body

I have my VB out on my table cleaning the gaskets and found this little piece. I was very careful not to drop any pieces from it so I'm not 100 percent sure its from the VB but it was on the table with it sooooo..... anyone know what it is ? Screw is for reference. I'm referring to the small...
  20. prayforsurf0

Rear Leaf Spring Compatibility in Explorers

I have a 98' XLT 4x4 Explorer. I bought rear leaf springs for a great price, but found out they came from a 96' 4x2 Explorer. The leafs currently on my truck a frowning, literally. Will the new ones I bought be compatible ?
  21. prayforsurf0

VSS woes

My speedometer stopped working and I started having some weird transmission bumping. Got P0500 code (VSS). After buying the wrong VSS (transfer case mounted VSS) I went back and got the correct one that is mounted on the rear differential. I replaced the old sensor with the new and it still...
  22. prayforsurf0

Chirping coming from rear wheel

It seems to be related to the drive train because the circular chirping gets louder when I press the gas, although I can sometimes hear it when I'm coming to stop. What should I be checking, wheel bearings, cv joint... ? Its definitely the rear passenger wheel...I ran along side the car as...
  23. prayforsurf0

Tap size and thread depth for o2 sensor hole in exhaust.

I fought so hard to get an o2 sensor off my 98 explorer. When I finally got it off the threads on the sensor were smeared smooth, and the threads in the hole of the exhaust where the sensor goes is a little ruined too. I need to retap those threads so I can get my new sensor in and seated...
  24. prayforsurf0

5R55E Fluid Change and Filter Replace

Hey folks, did some light reading on here regarding transmission attention. I feel a little more apprehensive about attacking this after having read all the theories and methods of going about. Initially I had planned to drop my pan, drain fluid, replace filter and gasket, and put everything...
Back