Brake Line Replacement

prayforsurf0

Reaction score
City, State
Montauk NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all,

I've replace all the hard lines on my 98' Ex from ABS unit to each caliper myself before, and the line that goes over the rear diff.

The two short lines from the MC to ABS looked fine at the time so I let them be (wish I just replaced them too) because now they look ready to be replaced.

Just wanted to check in and make sure I do this properly the first time around. First of all...wasn't there a whole sticky post regarding changing the brake lines ? I can't find it.

Second, how does one avoid getting air into the ABS when removing the fittings ?

I also remember to not let the MC run dry.

Anything else I should be keeping in mind ?

I remember to do ensure to create good, perfect circular flares, and chamfer the inside edges of the tubing after cutting and before flaring.

And do I remember correctly, the amount of line that should be sticking out from the clamp should be a length that is the same as the thickness of the insert ?

Thanks for your input !

I use assortment of vacuum fitting plugs when ever I have to open brake lines to prevent fluid from spilling everywhere, also helps prevent air from getting into the lines, stick them in the open holes, and over the end of the brake line.
As far as making the double flares, I have found out that the cheap tools are a pain, I spent extra money and got a higher quality flaring tool, but still manual, and it worked beautiful.
I think you are right about the insert use to gauge tip length before flaring.

I use assortment of vacuum fitting plugs when ever I have to open brake lines to prevent fluid from spilling everywhere, also helps prevent air from getting into the lines, stick them in the open holes, and over the end of the brake line.
As far as making the double flares, I have found out that the cheap tools are a pain, I spent extra money and got a higher quality flaring tool, but still manual, and it worked beautiful.
I think you are right about the insert use to gauge tip length before flaring.

Thanks for your reply. I got myself a decent double flaring tool back when I did all the lines to the calipers from the ABS because your advice was the same as many others...the cheap flare tools are a pain. Glad I got the quality tool to make the job easier.

However, I was surprised to discover that the lines between the MC and the ABS did not use double flares, but bubble flares! Geez, what a pain. I discovered a trick online to make bubble flares with a double flare tool by using the flat side of the clamp. I gave it a shot, but the resulting flare was clearly not the same as a true bubble flare. I had to call up a friend to help me make the ISO flares which we'll do tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated with any additional info/surprises for anyone looking to do the same job and searching the forums for guidance.

P.S. Still looking for the original detailed guide on redoing the brake lines. There was a lot of helpful stuff in that thread.

Thanks for your reply. I got myself a decent double flaring tool back when I did all the lines to the calipers from the ABS because your advice was the same as many others...the cheap flare tools are a pain. Glad I got the quality tool to make the job easier.

However, I was surprised to discover that the lines between the MC and the ABS did not use double flares, but bubble flares! Geez, what a pain. I discovered a trick online to make bubble flares with a double flare tool by using the flat side of the clamp. I gave it a shot, but the resulting flare was clearly not the same as a true bubble flare. I had to call up a friend to help me make the ISO flares which we'll do tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated with any additional info/surprises for anyone looking to do the same job and searching the forums for guidance.

P.S. Still looking for the original detailed guide on redoing the brake lines. There was a lot of helpful stuff in that thread.
There are adapters for a few bucks too.

Back