Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Leaking fuel injector??

Hey guys I just have a question, I suspect my fuel injectors are leaking or are a bit clogged. I haven't gotten a code but I think that after I used 3 bottles of Seafoam in my tank I did something to my fuel injectors. Is there a way to visually look at the injectors to tell if the seal is...
  2. F

Does anyone know how to clear a restricted fuel return line

So hello everyone I've been having problems with my vehicle and I suspect that the fuel return line going back to the fuel pump is full of sediment and is restricted some. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to clear the fuel return line. I plan on replacing the fuel pump anyways because...
  3. F

Lesson Learned about paying attention to detail

Hello everyone so I thought I would post this just as an example of how a slight mistake has cost a lot of money and a lot of problems. So about 1 year ago I was having serious problems with my engine. My catalytic converter went bad and 02 sensors. I thought since my Explorer had 190,000 it was...
  4. F

P0175 & P0172 code

So I don't know whats going on my car recently had a bad catalytic converter and I replaced it with new oxygen sensors and the problem went away. Then suddenly my car has been losing a LOT of gas mileage. I replaced coolant temp sensor, sparkplugs, new gas cap, new fuel filter, new intake...
  5. F

Capped fuel line under vehicle?

Hey everyone I was just wondering what is this capped fuel line at the gas cap under the vehicle that also has the main fuel line attached to? I've had a problem for the last 6 months of my vehicle losing a lot of gas and I've done everything chech vacuum lines, change sparkplugs, check fuel...
  6. F

Water leak from under vehicle

So I noticed when I parked my vehicle on new driveway there is water dripping under the vehicle. When I looked I saw it coming from a black tube that has an open end that is near the transmission. I think this is normal as it is only water when I did the feel and color and smell test. Is this...
  7. F

How to remove rear wheel hub

Hello everyone so I have to replace my rear wheel hub on my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT since one of the threads broke and I am missing now a nut but I guess 4 are good enough for the moment. I went to a tire store and they did not tighten the nuts sufficiently so one of the sheared off. Anyway my...
  8. F

Power steering pump replacement

Hello so I have an easy question, I'm taking out my power steering pump and was wondering how many quarts I need to fill it once I remove it and put the new one in. Anyone know?
  9. F

How many quarts?

Just wondering how many quarts of power steering fluid my car actually holds in total. I am changing my power steering pump this week? Also how many quarts of coolant total? 2003 ford explorer 4.0 sohc
  10. F

need help figuring out why low gas mileage

so I dont know whats going on. I changed my Cat and installed 4 new 02 sensors and the P0420 code went away. now I'm losing A LOT of gas mileage and don't know why. it actually got worse after I changed my intake manifold gaskets and I think some hose is damaged but not sure which one if any. I...
  11. F

Finding a vacuum leak in the engine

So I suspect I have a vacuum leak somehwere in the lines of the engine. I have heard that a smoke test with a cigar would work to located where the leak is as the smoke will come out out of the crack or damaged line. My question is what line do I disconnect to put smoke in??
  12. F

Engine gasket kit

So I just recieved my complete engine gasket rebuild kit for my 03 Explorer and I have a few questions about some gaskets I'm not sure about. I recognize the head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, valve seals, grommets for bolts, but I don't know what is this double...
  13. F

Do I need to remove timing chain to replace my head gaskets?

Just wondering if on my 4.0 SOHC V6 I would have to remove my timing chain to replace my gaskets. I guess not I don't need to remove the whole block. I can clean the gasket surface and place new gasket without removing the cylinder block? is that right??
  14. F

What type of adhesive for head gaskets

So I'm now going to replace all of my gaskets, head gasket lower and upper intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets and was wondering what type of adhesive can I use to make sure the gaskets hold in place? I've heard not to use RTV so I'm not sure.
  15. F

Flat band clamp or lap joint clamp for exhaust??

So I just bought a new tailpipe section for my Ford since the current one is rotted and leaking and bought a flat band clamp to join the pipe section because I was told it works better than standard clamps. But now I'm hearing that a lap joint band clamp would be even better. Do I really need a...
  16. F

understanding exhaust smell

So guys I just finished replacing my catalytic converter and O2 sensors And I am still losing gas mileage and I have a feeling my check engine light is going to come back on. The mechanic reset it and it usually lights back up after a few hundred miles after resetting it with the battery. so my...
  17. F

Coolant leak but no sign of leak

So I have a very slow coolant leak and I've gotten under the car and I do not see a single hose that has any sign of coolant leaking. I've followed the hose from the coolant fill and coolant return lines and no sign of any coolant. Anyone have any idea where this coolant is leaking from possibly?
  18. F

Removing rusted bolts

So I have decided to change the catalyitic converter myself. After looking at it my only concern is that the bolts and nuts on the flanges of the exhaust and cat intakes are going to break from so much rust. My car is 2003. I guess I can use vice grips to spin it off but does anyone have...
  19. F

How many Catalytic Converters

Hello so I am confused. I have my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD and I think I actually have 3 catalytic converters. And when I went online they are only advertising a universal converter for my rear cat. I guess that is the main one that usually gives problems. Am I safe to just replace that one...
  20. F

Replacing my catalytic converter

So I have had the bad luck to have a bad catalytic converter. I tried the o2 sensors and sure enough that did not do the trick. My question is if I buy a universal catalytic converter will that be OK? I have heard that aftermarket catalytic converters might not remove the code from the OBDII and...
  21. F

P0420 Code Problem

So recently I got a check engine light and when I plugged in the diagnostic machine it's reading P0420. I did some research and see it is either bad oxygen sensors or a bad catalytic converter. My question is that coincidentally this code came up after I started using Amsoil oil and I think it...
  22. F

Door Ajar light on dash fixed finally after 1 year

Just fixed my door ajar light problem, THANK GOD THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY FOR OVER A YEAR NOW, just want to share my experience and how it was fixed. When the light first came on I notice it would come on intermittently when I hit a bump on the road, also in the winter I would get the...
  23. F

Door Ajar light problem in the winter or when it rains?

Just a suggestion if anyone is getting a door ajar light problem in their Ford Explorer in the winter or when it rains you might want to check if you have a sticking door switch. Then check for a bad ground wire on one of the door switches. If that fails check your rear window and rear hatch...
  24. F

Cannot find OEM horn with correct connector

So recently my horn died and I am trying to replace it. So far I have ordered my low and high horns from 2 different websites and they are all sending me horns with the standard spade lugs that I cannot connect to my car. The original horns had a female molex connector and THIS IS DRIVING ME...
  25. F

Standard brand vs Dorman brand

I was just wondering if there is a difference in quailty parts from Dorman vs Standard. I recently ordered abs sensors and wished now I would have paid the $30 extra for the standard brand abs sensors instead of Dorman. Is there any difference in the two brands? Or are they the same quality?
Back