Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

selling my explorer

I've posted my explorer on craigslist and had a few people look at it. Yeah, i'm asking top dollar of 2900.00 but it's got 500.00 worth of brand new tires, a new battery this year, last year i put new shocks, inner and outer tie rod ends, exhaust manifold and a number of other things. one guy...
  2. R

switch for power antenna

I got tired of my antenna going up and down whenever i turn the key. Most of the time i never listen to the radio anyway. Usually i'm listening to spotify or pandora through an aux port. So I put this switch in to turn off the antenna.
  3. R

planing dorman exhaust manifold before install?

i got the dorman from rockauto. i plan on getting a gasket from advance auto to use. there was a warning sheet in the package about flatness. I put a straight edge on it, it doesnt look like its off at all. does everyone have these ground or just use them right out of the box? i kinda thought...
  4. R

exhaust manifold replacement

The truck has been running pretty good, so of course on my way into work I pass this car and the exhaust got loud and sounds like and old tractor chugging along. I've already had the egr tube replaced. and thats what it sounds like again. so i'm thinking it may be that small nut going into the...
  5. R

Camber bolt install

For some reason my phone won't search the forums, but anyway, what is the washer arrangement on the cam bolt kit? I've seen some where they have the washers on the outside of the bigger washer and some were on the inside.
  6. R

total new front components on the way

Just ordered all the parts from Rock Auto. upper control arms, lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends. 206 bucks and a weekend of fun is on the way. I hope its as fun as it looks. :p:
  7. R

Turn off door open alert chime.

98 explorer Eddie Bauer, when a door is opened it makes an alert beep. It's normal, but irritating when three doors are opened seconds after each other. Is there a way to turn off this alert beep?
  8. R

new shocks. oh yeah!

I put some new KYB gas-a-just shocks on the explorer today. I'm glad i went with they KYB's instead of the monroe's. I usually just get monroe but have always thought they were too soft. What a huge difference, rides like a new truck and no rolling in the corners. the old shocks were so bad that...
  9. R

new ball joints

My Explorer has a creaking drivers side upper ball joint, so i was looking into this and I figure after replacing the upper drivers control arm you should get an alignment. So i thought the passenger one wouldnt be too far behind and then i'd need another alignment. So i might as well do both...
  10. R

check engine- code P0430

CEL came on again today, code P0430. Advance auto said it could either be a bad Catalytic converter bank 2, or the O2 sensor behind the cat could be bad. If the O2 sensor was bad, wouldn't that show it's own code? They said no drive ability issues should happen, but I hate seeing that CEL!
  11. R

TSB information needed

Looking for more information about a Ford TSB. all i can find is the summary. I have a 5.0 AWD that has some type of knocking sound I can only hear when it is warm at idle. if it is knocking and i rev it up it does not increase with engine speed, i'd say it goes away. it has 145,000 miles...
  12. R

Knocking

Great, this freakin thing is really pissing me off. Paid top dollar, I think, 3200 for this nice Eddie Bauer explorer with the 302 specifically bcuz of the "bullet proof" setup of the v8 and transmission. Put a little money into getting the CEL to go off bcuz of O2 sensor and then there was a...
  13. R

knocking sound only after warmed up at idle

I bought a 98 explorer with the 5.0 AWD from the original owner. He had receipts of oil changes and repair work done on it. I had to replace the egr tube, o2 sensor, and one of the vapor canisters and thought it was a good truck for a few years. changed the oil and used valvoline 5w30 maxx life...
  14. R

first snow observations of 5.0 AWD

our first snow arrived here in michigan today. I could not wait to try out the 98 explorer AWD to see how it would do. My first thought is, I want my ranger 4x4 back. but, to be honest, the ranger had a more aggressive tire tread on it. The AWD did fine and from a stop it took off good. not much...
  15. R

how much gas are you putting in the tank at fill up?

I have a 21 gallon tank and i'm usually putting 16.5 gallons in at fill up. The computer says I have 3 gallons left, which i'm sure is probably not exactly 3 gallons but probably close. do you think there may be 5 gallons left in the tank when it says 3? I had an issue with P0455 which ended up...
  16. R

Quiet noisy lifters

Has anyone had any luck using a product like seafoam or another additive to stop noisy lifters? My 5.0 has lifter noise, sometimes when its warm, but sometimes it doesn't. I was thinking of trying something to help clean out the lifters.
  17. R

front end noise when slowing down.

I hear a noise coming from what i think is the front end when I take my foot off the gas. when i touch the gas, not hard, it goes away. when i let off the gas it does the whirring thing again. gets louder as you get to the stop sign. sounds like gear resistance or something. Not really sounding...
  18. R

Oil pressure switch problem.

Having a cold start issue with my oil pressure gauge. On cold startups the gauge reads zero, and this causes the check gauges light to come on. I have a new sending unit, but the one on the truck looks like its a pain to get to and if I can't get it out would it be possible to hotwire this...
  19. R

power steering fluid or trans fluid in power steering?

I've only had this explorer for about 3 weeks and i was in the garage checking it out and decided to top off some fluids. So i put some old power steering fluid in the reservoir. Now i find out that i should be using mercon trans fluid in it? do the two mix? or should i drain and refill with...
  20. R

headlights suck!

Tonight i finally drove the truck after dark. and these headlights are terrible! Need to upgrade or something to some good bright lights. what to use?
  21. R

O2 sensor wins round #1 what to do next

So i spent most of the day trying to take out this bank 1 S 1 on my 98. Removed the center console and could not get on it with a wrench. so i got underneath and couldnt get it very good either. I even cut my wrench down a couple inches to get at it and still it would not budge. PB blaster, let...
  22. R

passenger exhaust manifold

I took my 98 explorer 5.0 in to the local muffler shop. they called to say that it was leaking between the the manifold and the engine, but they said they dont really get into that. I'm like what? he said there's not much room in there and if a stud breaks theres no room for him to work on it. i...
  23. R

ready to do O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1

Getting ready to replace O2 sensor on my 98 explorer. Bank 1 Sensor 1. It looks like it could be a PITA. I plan on removing the center console and doing it from the top. Honestly i dont see how you could do it any other way! I think i could remove the sensor from the bottom but there is no way i...
  24. R

aux in for stereo?

Is there a way to remove the 6 disc changer and install something, that would either be bluetooth, or an aux adapter in its place? I dont know how the changer is connected to the radio as i've just bought this vehicle. 98 explorer. eddie bauer. has cassette, single cd and the 6 disc changer...
  25. R

which o2 sensor to get?

I picked up a 98 explorer 5.0 and the engine light is on. it has code p0133 which it says bank 1 sensor 1. Is this the one i need to remove the console to get at? what part is this? i have found bosch at advanced auto but they have like 3 different part numbers, and they all fit!? I'll be...
Back