Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Dana 35 Axle Info Help Wanted

I am in need of a front 4x4 axle (dana 35) for my explorer. Was going to the junkard tomorrow. I was told to try and get one off of a v6 from a member here for less wear and as new as possible. Do all Dana 35 axles have 27 splines? My hubs and cv axle are setup for 27 and was wondering if They...
  2. S

Torque Monster Headers

Are they making these again? On the website you can checkout through paypal and seems like the price went or were they always $890 plus shipping?
  3. S

Coolant Leak - Water Pump or Timing Cover? (Video)

So a little information. Top of WP is dry. Hoses are on solid and dry. Bypass hoses are on and in decent shape. Leak is dripping down from drive side or coming from that side when it gets on the crank pully. Left side is dryer for the most part. Before I bought the truck someone had replaced...
  4. S

Front Diff Done/ Rebuild?

So some of you may know I'm doing a 4406 swap. The front axle I pulled off a 96 limited explorer 5.0 AWD code D4. So I have been cleaning the front diff to make it shiny for paint and I notcied the pinion was hard to turn. I opened it up to my surprise to find sludge, and some bad details...
  5. S

5.0 2WD to 4406 Manual

Starting the process of my swap for my 1999 Mountaineer 2WD. Total time so far is about 12 Hours and Money at about $370. Parts Collected: 4R70W /w TC from AWD 5.0 3.73 Front Differential CV Axels, Knuckles, Hubs, Rotors Manual 4406 Shifter and Linkage Front (4.6) and Rear (5.4) Drive Shafts...
  6. S

Help Finding Rear Wiper Post

There was someone who posted in the forums, I don't know how long ago because I think I found it on google. Where a guy wired a gen 3 was it? or late gen 2 glass where the wiper motor section is on the glass rather then in the hatch. So basically he took the glass with wiper and wired it up...
  7. S

Grease Fittings Not Accepting Grease

So I installed a new front suspension over the weekend and had it aligned on Monday. So now uppers, lowers and tie rod ends have grease fittings but when I hook up my "new" (was in box when I took it out to use it) grease gun it pumps grease out but the connector on the gun seems to be broken...
  8. S

95-01 Bumper Reinforcement Compatibility

So I have a 99 Mountaineer. Long story short I ripped my bumper off snapping the bumper reinforcement plastic part. Instead of paying $110 on rockauto plus shipping are explorer reinforcements compatible? On rockauto the parts look the same but part numbers are one number off. I read a few...
  9. S

Things didn't go perfect... Question..

Long story short.. Went up to get two tires mounted and balanced. Came home and started torquing down everything from the rear end job I did a few weeks ago (links, bushings, shocks,diff fluid, parking brakes, rear bears...etc etc). So anyways I torque everything down and thought I would torque...
  10. S

Putting Gen 3 Seat with Headrest in Gen 2

Has anyone put a Gen 3 seat in a Gen 2 or maybe even a Gen 4? Just curios. I want a headrest.
  11. S

Front Suspension Rebuild

So I have all the parts and all the tools I need to do a front end rebuild. Which will incluide 2 Degree Camber Kit Upper Control Arms Lower Control Arms Inner/Outter Tie Rods Sway Bar Bushings and Links And Shocks So my question here is. For anyone thats done a similar project. Should I...
  12. S

General Tire Pressure Question Thread

So I had a general question on If I should air down my tires a few psi over the recommended tire pressure when driving on hot days and or long trips when your psi rises some. While trying to look threw some old threads I found this post. Now I am still curious If I should air down my tires...
  13. S

How Important is the Friction Modifier For The Limited Slip Diffs

Long story short. I put in the wrong rear Axel seals. Figured out I did that too late and the Ford dealership is closed up the road. Can I use a general limited slip friction compound from orileys? Or can I just fill it up. Drive on it for the night and tomorrow go and get it and add it in after?
  14. S

New Brake Caliper Brand Recommendations

So I was planning on buying new calipers (Front and Rear) for my new Deerfield SS brake lines. On RockAuto I was planning on buying the ACDELCO Remans. Are they worth the Extra 20-30 Bucks or could I get those reman PowerStop's and be fine with those? Just trying to save some cash here and was...
  15. S

Fuel Pump Replacement Help

While droping the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump I broke a connector. Does anyone know what it is? What it does? How vital it is? Where to get one? and does it matter? Need help asap. Thanks trying to get the truck running before monday.
  16. S

Motor Tune Up Thread

My engine has got about 212,000 miles on it. Runs great. (Most days) If I was wanting to do a tune up on the ol gal, I was wondering your opinion on this list. Fuel Pump Assembly Fuel Filter Coil Packs Plug Wires Plugs IAC MAF PCV Upper and Lower Intake Gaskets Fuel Injectors Anything else...
  17. S

Ball Joint Grease

I bought a grease gun and have Hi-Temp Axel grease laying around from when I did my front wheel bearings. Front Right Lower Ball Joint is sqeeking like crazy, Can I load my grease gun with some axel grease and grease the ball joint(s) with axel grease? I have looked at a thread and have seen...
  18. S

4R70W to Manual Swap?

I am planning on getting a remanufactured Transmission in the future. Not as this point but sooner then later. I have a 99 Mounty 5.0 2WD with a 4r70w. I was wondering what transmission would bolt up to make it a manual, I know I will need to modify trans tunnel and driveshaft. I am more so...
  19. S

Exhaust Smoking Very Concerning

So I have had the truck for a while now. I know there was some type of oil leak down the back end of the pan, rather that's the pan or the seal is irrelevant at the moment. But my concern is this smoking come from the exhaust right under that pan, right next to the 02 sensor. Lately it has...
  20. S

Rounded Bottom Tensioner Pully Bolt 5.0 Please Help

I got a rounded bolt on the bottom bolt on the tensior pully on the 5.0. Any help on removing it? I am about to give up and take it to a shop.
  21. S

2000 4.0L OHV ... Bad Head Gasket or Cracked Head

So I bought a super basic 2000 Ford Explorer for $350 So the biggest issue with this vehicle is like I said in the tittle a coolant leak. I don't know where its at in the engine, But I do know there is coolant in the oil and probably the cylinder. The vehicle does run and I am going to...
  22. S

Door Actuator Dissicon

So I went to the Junk Yard yesterday and pulled a door actuator for my 99 Mountaineer. I had already read some threads and watched some videos so I knew what I was getting into. So I took the actuator off some Gen 2 explorer I didn't even look at the year. But I had to drill out the rivet as...
  23. S

Hoppy Aimmers

You can use the Hoppy Aimers on Explorers/Mountaineers right? Thinking of picking up a set.
  24. S

Testing Radio's at Part-Yard

Local yard has a 30% off special. Radio's are 25 plus discount. Mine has shorted out? The disply stays on for a few seconds at startup then makes a hissing noise and goes out. Any good way to test these radios at the yard? As you know most times theres no battery or key. Any way to find a good...
  25. S

Steel Bradied Flex Lines

These Pro Comp Steel lines are the only lines I have found for explorer that are steel braided but there only for Gen 1. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-7305/applications/make/ford/model/explorer?prefilter=1 Does anyone know where to find steel lines or if those Gen 1's would fit?
Back