Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

"Ultra MPG Super Tune Up"

I just came across an identical thread that I didnt find in earlier searches http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159048&highlight=xylene . SORRY! The powers at be can delete this thread!
  2. R

I know the acetone debate has been driven into the ground, but this guy says to mix acetone, xylene, and an ounce of 5w-40 synthetic oil to put in the gas. I'm not saying he's right, but he's definitely got me curious. As far as the article being so old, I see the copyright for the whole site...
  3. R

I came across this article today: http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm, and wanted to see what everyone in the forum thought about it. Any validity to what this guy is saying? As gas prices climb, I'm desperately trying to find things to improve my gas mileage without spending tons of...
  4. R

How to replace the rear main seal?

So I had the shop check for an oil leak around my oil gasket, and they said it was coming from the rear main seal. I want to attempt to replace it myself. I know I have to move the transmission out of the way to get to the seal. Do I have to drop the transmission completely? Could someone give...
  5. R

exhaust

I know you swear by the 3" for a 5.0, but I just want something a little smaller because I do a lot of highway driving and I dont want the drone to drive me wacko. I'll try some of the local exhaust shops and see what they say, and then maybe take the x up to the ones that I like and show them...
  6. R

exhaust

I have a flowmaster exhaust with a 3" outlet, and I've decided that I'd rather have a 2.5" outlet. Can an exhaust shop put an adapter or anything on to make the outlet size smaller to fit a 2.5" pipe? Also, I've never had any exhaust work done? Two questions. Go with a smaller local exhaust...
  7. R

Help!!! Random Thing In Tranny Pan

haha, im relaxed. I actually came across it the answer on another website, so fortunately I didnt have to wait to finish it. My car has 116000 miles on it, and I bought it at 105000. Thats ridiculous that the pan was never dropped before now. That means the filter is OLD, and the fluid is...
  8. R

Help!!! Random Thing In Tranny Pan

I dropped my tranny pan today and found this just sitting in the pan. What is it and where should it be??? I can't finish the fluid change until I find out what this part is so please help QUICK!!!! sorry for the fuzzy picture
  9. R

another 5.0 exhaust thread

Oh alright, that just confused me, but I got it all straightened out. I think I'll go with the dual 2.25" inlets, and the 3" outlet, and find out if its legal to eliminate those secondary cat converters. Any opinions on which would be better, flowmaster 70 series, or a custom morgantec?
  10. R

Thanks 410, thats helps a lot actually. I was wondering if those second cats were significant or not, I guess not. So the 3" outlet wont hurt the backpressure or gas mileage for just regular day to day driving? Also what size should the dual INLET pipes be? Jtsmith, the only one I can find is...
  11. R

Thanks for the quick response, and the morgantec suggestion. I'm definitely going to look into it. Now, exhaust is a VERY foreign thing to me. In your post you said it was 5 bucks to go from a single outlet to a dual outlet. Did you mean dual inlet, because thats what I was talking about getting...
  12. R

Hey, i've searched and gotten conflicting opinions, and mixed feelings on different flowmaster exhausts, and exhaust sizes for the 5.0. Some say the 50 series flowmaster is where its at, some say its the 70 series. Is the only difference going to be sound, or is there a power difference between...
  13. R

which speedo gear???

To tell you the truth, I dont know anything about 1st gens, only 2nd gens. I would imagine its somewhat similar though. Take a look at your transfer case tailhousing, which is where mine was, or I think they can sometimes be on the transmission tailhousing, or rear diffy (that might be...
  14. R

which speedo gear???

From what I've gathered from everyone, it sounds like putting bigger or smaller tires on ANY car will change the shifting due to the fact that the computer is getting information that isnt entirely correct (ie: rpm's). This throws the shift parameters off, so yes it will change your shifting a...
  15. R

which speedo gear???

yeah guys, I'll update here also. I swapped the 19 tooth pink speedo gear that I had, for a yellow 18 tooth one, and it smoothed out my shifting quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure it put my speedometer much closer to where it should be.
  16. R

Speedometer fix price???

No problem, I was pretty car illiterate before I joined the site and read a lot, but you learn as you go. I still dont know a third of the stuff most people know on here. Anyways, the speedo gear I got was yellow. Sorry I dont have the part number, but if you take the speedo gear off of your car...
  17. R

Speedometer fix price???

Just to update, I put the 18 tooth speedo gear in (from ford dealership $9) and I definitely notice a difference in shifting. The hesitation that seemed to be there is now gone. I recommend the 9 bucks and 10 minutes of work to have a better driving car!
  18. R

Old Explorer gets new paint

want to come over to west end henrico and paint my ex for me!
  19. R

Gear lash adjustment cost?

thats what I thought at first too, but I replaced both u joints on the rear driveshaft and there is still a very noticeable clunk when putting the car in gear. My next project is either replacing the front driveshaft u joint and grease the cv joint, but if the cv joint is shot, I will replace...
  20. R

Gear lash adjustment cost?

I think I need to have my gear lash on my rear diffy adjusted. There is way too much slop. Any guestimates at how much that costs to have done? I want to see if its worth a trip to the driveline shop.
  21. R

Bondo And Herculiner

I didnt realize that body filler wouldnt work over holes, and I have NO welding experience or ability so maybe Ill just shoot some black rustoleum over them to keep them from rusting and leave them be. Thanks for the help guys! Thats why I love this forum so much is no matter what the question...
  22. R

Bondo And Herculiner

thanks guys, I may tackle this and if I do i'll post some pictures when its all done
  23. R

Bondo And Herculiner

is there a better filler I could use besides bondo?
  24. R

Bondo And Herculiner

I'm completely new to body work so bare with me. I removed my ugly stock running boards on my 97 5.0 uncovering the ugly mounting holes. Would this work: Use bondo to fill these holes up, covering up the white bondo with black herculiner to somewhat blend with my stock black paintjob also...
  25. R

1997 Kkm?

The silicon thing is too skinny to attach the two together. Its about 3 inches in diameter, but less than an inch wide. This is frustrating, you spend a 100 bucks, you think you'd get good directions atleast. Instead of trying to figure out what the heck that silicone thing is for, I went out...
Back