• Register Today It's free!

Gear lash adjustment cost?

rvaedge

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0
I think I need to have my gear lash on my rear diffy adjusted. There is way too much slop. Any guestimates at how much that costs to have done? I want to see if its worth a trip to the driveline shop.

Curious, why do you think your backlash is set wrong? Have you removed the cover and noticed inpropper wear on the ring gear? Lots of metal shavings? If you have slop in the driveshaft it's probably your u-joints going out...just wondering

thats what I thought at first too, but I replaced both u joints on the rear driveshaft and there is still a very noticeable clunk when putting the car in gear. My next project is either replacing the front driveshaft u joint and grease the cv joint, but if the cv joint is shot, I will replace the front driveshaft. If the clunk is STILL there thats when I am really going to look at the transfer case and differentials. I'm just curious what the cost would be if I ever get to that point. Anyone know just a ballpark estimate?

Explorers are know for their weak transmissions, which often make a bad clunk going into gear. Sure it's not the tranny?

I just find it hard to believe the backlash is bad on stock gears, but it's entirely possible.

I would guess around $100-150 to set backlash. Ticky work, and special tools.

Back